• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD OR PH 5-25x56mm

daybreak1199

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
New guy here looking for advice on a scope purchase. I just ordered the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 w/ EBR-2B Reticle from optics planet and now 2 days later they email to let me know my order has been "temporarily placed on hold because we have just run out of stock". I looked all over the net for a good deal and settled for the optics planet sale due to finding a 5% discount code. I'm on the fence now because they also offer the PH 5-25x56mm w/ XR Mildot for $749 more than what I would have paid for the Vortex. I am trying to rationalize all the reasons why I should just move up to the PH scope, anyone have any good reasons to stick with the Vortex, other than it is obviously about $800 cheaper.

Re: Vortex Razor HD OR PH 5-25x56mm

Optics Planet won't have the premier in stock either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optics Planet won't have the premier in stock either. </div></div>

I went back and looked at their site, they are still showing the Vortex and PH models as available. Seems like false advertising to offer something as available when they know its not. I thought maybe they cancled the order due to the 5% discount code (seems they are the only ones doing a discount). I suppose thats just my paranoid side speaking. Every site listed the scope for the same 1999.00, the 5% really made me feel like I was getting a deal. Oh well, gives me more time to rethink my options and consider jumping up to the PH scope.

V/R
Jason

Jason:

If you look around on the net...you'll find that pretty much everyone is sold out on the Razor. Guess it's been a pretty popular scope. I'm not sure the availability on the PH 5-25X...also a popular scope. Guess you could check with some of the sponsors of the Hide...like Liberty Optics, CS Tactical, SWFA and Camera land....to see what they have in stock. I know Scott, Liberty Optics, had a big note on his main web page stating that the Razor was sold out, in terms of what stock Vortex had....Don't remember if he had posted information on future availability or not.

Wayne

I have nothing against the Razor, and I think it is a great scope, and an amazing scope for the money, but in my opinion, it doesn't really "compare" with a Premier. The Premier is on a different level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optics Planet won't have the premier in stock either. </div></div>

Optics Planet is absolutely notorious for this crap.

I have even talked to there staff and they have told me they have items in stock. Then after I order them I receive an email saying that they are out and I need to wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have nothing against the Razor, and I think it is a great scope, and an amazing scope for the money, but in my opinion, it doesn't really "compare" with a Premier. The Premier is on a different level.</div></div>
This.

I placed my order for the ebr-2b through liberty optics. He is out also but he has stated that the eta is 3 to 4 weeks. I used discount code hide10 for a 10% off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optics Planet won't have the premier in stock either. </div></div>

Optics Planet is absolutely notorious for this crap.</div></div>

Big plus 1 to this. The only thing they are guaranteed to have in stock is excuses.

The ebr-2b is sold out everywhere, apparently Vortex is actually taking some of the other reticles back from companies so they can rework them to meet the demand of the ebr-2b.

I too ordered one from Liberty Optics here, the price was unbeleivable, and so far Scott has been on top of it...right after the order was placed, he personally called me to let me know the lead time and give me options if I could not wait...Good people!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optics Planet won't have the premier in stock either. </div></div>

Optics Planet is absolutely notorious for this crap.</div></div>

Big plus 1 to this. The only thing they are guaranteed to have in stock is excuses.</div></div>

Optics Planet and Botach Tactical pull this nonsense all of the time. In my experience you'll eventually get your product from OP after 1-2 week delay with a free $1 flashlight or lens pen. Others... not so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokingloon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I placed my order for the ebr-2b through liberty optics. He is out also but he has stated that the eta is 3 to 4 weeks. I used discount code hide10 for a 10% off. </div></div>

As soon as I can get confirmation they have cancled my order I will be heading over to Liberty Optics.

Botach- I was a supporter of theirs for the longest, I was one of the lucky ones who really had very little problems. Then the problems started, incorrect products, long delays, it was just such a pain in the neck to deal with them that still to this day I will not buy from them no matter what the discount.

I just checked 3rd Generation Shooting Supply, They have an
EBR-2B in stock, B.J. is great to deal with. I bet he would make you a deal you can't refuse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daybreak1199</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokingloon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I placed my order for the ebr-2b through liberty optics. He is out also but he has stated that the eta is 3 to 4 weeks. I used discount code hide10 for a 10% off. </div></div>

As soon as I can get confirmation they have cancled my order <span style="color: #CC6600">I will be heading over to Liberty Optics.</span>

Botach- I was a supporter of theirs for the longest, I was one of the lucky ones who really had very little problems. Then the problems started, incorrect products, long delays, it was just such a pain in the neck to deal with them that still to this day I will not buy from them no matter what the discount. </div></div>

Your now smarter than the average bear.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have nothing against the Razor, and I think it is a great scope, and an amazing scope for the money, but in my opinion, it doesn't really "compare" with a Premier. The Premier is on a different level. </div></div>

I beg to differ. There are many guys at Nor Cal, the club that I belong to, that use PH, Vortex, USO, NF & Leupold. I can promise you that there are more PH's sent back for going down than Vortex Razors. Just because you spend an extra $750-$1,000 more doesn't mean you're getting something that won't fail.

I'm about as picky and demanding about my equipment as anybody you'll find on the range when it comes to reloading, rifles, barrels, optics and gear. I rely upon my Vortex Razor because it gives me the best chance to edge out my competition on numerous occasions at tactical tournaments throughout the country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have nothing against the Razor, and I think it is a great scope, and an amazing scope for the money, but in my opinion, it doesn't really "compare" with a Premier. The Premier is on a different level. </div></div>

I beg to differ. There are many guys at Nor Cal, the club that I belong to, that use PH, Vortex, USO, NF & Leupold. I can promise you that there are more PH's sent back for going down than Vortex Razors. Just because you spend an extra $750-$1,000 more doesn't mean you're getting something that won't fail.

I'm about as picky and demanding about my equipment as anybody you'll find on the range when it comes to reloading, rifles, barrels, optics and gear. I rely upon my Vortex Razor because it gives me the best chance to edge out my competition on numerous occasions at tactical tournaments throughout the country.</div></div>

Yeah, small sample size, but 2/2 folks I have talked to who own or owned a Premier had failures requiring them to be sent in...

I almost pulled the trigger on a razor until i found a used premier in the optics for sale section. i got very lucky and the seller was local so i got to pick it up myself. i'm very glad i spent a little more and went with the premier...its UNBELIEVABLE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have nothing against the Razor, and I think it is a great scope, and an amazing scope for the money, but in my opinion, it doesn't really "compare" with a Premier. The Premier is on a different level. </div></div>

I'm about as picky and demanding about my equipment as anybody you'll find on the range when it comes to reloading, rifles, barrels, optics and gear. I rely upon my Vortex Razor because it gives me the best chance to edge out my competition on numerous occasions at tactical tournaments throughout the country.</div></div>

Yeah, small sample size, but 2/2 folks I have talked to who own or owned a Premier had failures requiring them to be sent in... </div></div>

Was it becasue they torqued the scope rings too tight? From what I"ve read, this is an issue, in that the rings cannot be torqued past 15 inch lbs.

I personally have a Premier and really like it. THe reviews from "optics thoughts" have always been excellent for the PRemier line as well, comparing the clarity to that of an S&B.

I see the OP already ordered a Vortex but I personally prefer the Premier. I think the glass clarity is better then the Vortex, of course your mileage will vary.