• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex razor locking turret mod?

CATM15

You coming to the BBQ?
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2018
Just curious if anyone made a ring to fill the space between the turret and the housing so that it essentially makes the turret incapable of locking in the down position? Scope is on my comp rifle and I never use the lock so it would be nice to not have to worry about it.

***please don’t shat on my post if you have a difference of opinion on the locking turret.

the lock is kinda pointless if you use the zero stop

Cable tie?
Yeah I’m hoping someone has done this before with a little more finesse than I would have rednecking it lol. However that’s not a bad option if nothing comes through. Might even call up a buddy with a 3D printer for an experiment

the lock is kinda pointless if you use the zero stop

No it's not at all. They are two separate uses.

OP, just leave it unlocked. I do that all the time at matches when I will need to dial. When I won't I lock it so it doesn't spin accidentally. I think sticking something in where it shouldn't be is asking for something locking up on you when you don't want it to.

OP, just leave it unlocked. I do that all the time at matches when I will need to dial. When I won't I lock it so it doesn't spin accidentally. I think sticking something in where it shouldn't be is asking for something locking up on you when you don't want it to.

Now you have heard from the top Vortex guy on the board. Probably best to reconsider.

I meant more so if you're hitting multiple distances it's not like you're going to unlock then lock each time you're likely to leave it unlocked in between targets so it isn't an added step in the process.

I would definitely not put a zip tie on the turret either though. Maybe a spacer that is machined to fit properly to avoid accidental locking but easily removed and free floating.

I meant more so if you're hitting multiple distances it's not like you're going to unlock then lock each time you're likely to leave it unlocked in between targets so it isn't an added step in the process.

Yes of course but they both have their times and places for use and best to have both. That's why if you have a zero stop it doesn't mean the locking turrets are pointless.

Yes of course but they both have their times and places for use and best to have both. That's why if you have a zero stop it doesn't mean the locking turrets are pointless.
100% agree on them having their purpose. I just don’t see a need for it on my dedicated match rifle. I do leave it unlocked and most of the time it’s no worries but once or twice its been bumped to the locking position right before I shoot a stage when I need to dial multiple targets. Just catches me off guard when it doesn’t spin and it’s one of the stiffer locks I’ve had on a scope. It’s not a big deal but shooting season is over here in Alaska till April-May so I tend to look over my gear and see what I might wanna change up next year.

100% agree on them having their purpose. I just don’t see a need for it on my dedicated match rifle. I do leave it unlocked and most of the time it’s no worries but once or twice its been bumped to the locking position right before I shoot a stage when I need to dial multiple targets. Just catches me off guard when it doesn’t spin and it’s one of the stiffer locks I’ve had on a scope. It’s not a big deal but shooting season is over here in Alaska till April-May so I tend to look over my gear and see what I might wanna change up next year.

I see a great need for it on my match rifles. I have had my knobs get spun multiple times over the years of shooting this sport and definitely feel better having locking turrets and not having to worry about that when moving than not having it. But it's up to you what you need but I wouldn't have a scope without them again.

Reactions: CATM15
Maybe an axle c-clip? I know toyota uses some that could be close, but i would still think an oring would be best, as mentioned before on here. No scratching.

Maybe an axle c-clip? I know toyota uses some that could be close, but i would still think an oring would be best, as mentioned before on here. No scratching.
Yeah the Oring is a good idea. I’ll have to take some measurements and see what one would work best and give it a go.

Reactions: Jgunner
First try

B745E272-3C2C-469C-9BEB-284ECB6F26EC.jpeg

Reactions: King_beardsly
Does it move when you spin the knob?