• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex razor UHD binos

A.Bennett

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2018
Anyone had these out in the wild? I played with a set next to some SLC and couldn't see much of a difference. Just curious how they stack up to other high end binos.

Reactions: tob5
63389A4D-934A-49C8-93E4-97DEE544567B.jpeg4FE0A5E5-3818-46D7-9993-06EE06A966A9.jpeg1F91EB17-4129-4567-BF7F-A1151482BFD5.jpeg

Attachments

• EF76E9B3-9382-44F4-A997-EE2D4662EC61.jpeg
    EF76E9B3-9382-44F4-A997-EE2D4662EC61.jpeg
    882.2 KB · Views: 321
Reactions: Wyzrd
I compared my HD 10x42s side by side to UHD 10x42s. The UHDs were heavier and larger overall by a good bit. They are a bit brighter. I thought the HDs has slightly better resolution but it was probably just sample variation. I didn’t like the size and weight so I stuck with my HDs.

I looked through a set at the PRS finale. At that time I had no idea that Vortex had the UHD’s. I had to do a double take and what brand they were. They are that good. No way I’d spend more on a set of high end glass.

The 12x compete with the Swaro 15s, no doubt. The 18x UHDs are nowhere near the same clarity.

compete with the Swarovski... bit if a stretch IMO. I’d say at most they’d be in the same ballpark as the SLC’s.

compete with the Swarovski... bit if a stretch IMO. I’d say at most they’d be in the same ballpark as the SLC’s.

Yes, the 12x UHD were right in line with 15x SLCs. I had them side by side at Pigg River for 2 days and it was not a stretch in the least.. The ELs may be a stretch but I don’t have much time behind those.

Also this only applies to the 12x UHD. The 18x are horrible by comparison.

I have quite a bit of time behind the 15x56 SLC's and now i have a decent amount of time behind my 18x56 UHD's and i think they're pretty darn close. The resolution is better on the swaros and they are a little better in low light. but I still think the UHD's are getting pretty close.

Wow, I’ll have to look at a pair.

I’ve used Meopta’s, SLC’s, conquest HD, Nikon HG, and Leica’s 3000. Most of those are splitting hairs (CA control, flare control, resolution). Although the SLC and Meoptas I enjoyed the most. I’ll grab a pair and check them out.

I have the 10x and love them. I dont have any experience with other brands so I dont have much to compare to. But every time I look through them makes me glad I bought them

I looked through a set of 10x42's just this weekend for a few hours at the range. No offense to UHD guys, but they are way too big, and way overpriced for a Vortex. You'll take a beating trying to get rid of them if you buy at anywhere close to retail. I'd still pick the Meostar HD, SLCHD, Nikon HG, and Conquest HD over the UHD's.

I owned a pair of shoes 18x56 for a while.

Very good binos for what I paid for them used, overpriced at MAP but that’s kind of a nonstory.

I looked through a set of 10x42's just this weekend for a few hours at the range. No offense to UHD guys, but they are way too big, and way overpriced for a Vortex. You'll take a beating trying to get rid of them if you buy at anywhere close to retail. I'd still pick the Meostar HD, SLCHD, Nikon HG, and Conquest HD over the UHD's.

It’s hard to buy anything from Vortex at full Retail. They are excellent optics but when you can buy all their high end glass at deep discounts it’s hard to buy from full retail outlets.

Interesting, because I have used the 12x50s UHDs and 18x56 UHDs next to 12x50 ELs and for the money, the UHDs are not far behind. A buddy of mine took my 12x50s on a week long hunt in Idaho for a field test next to his ELs and he said the street price of the UHDs made them very attractive. To be fair he did say the ELs beat the UHDs edge to edge.

I got a few more weeks before I post up a review on both the 12x50s and 18x56s UHDs. I also have the 12x50 razors, which are great for the coin.

Interesting, because I have used the 12x50s UHDs and 18x56 UHDs next to 12x50 ELs and for the money, the UHDs are not far behind. A buddy of mine took my 12x50s on a week long hunt in Idaho for a field test next to his ELs and he said the street price of the UHDs made them very attractive. To be fair he did say the ELs beat the UHDs edge to edge.

I got a few more weeks before I post up a review on both the 12x50s and 18x56s UHDs. I also have the 12x50 razors, which are great for the coin.

Looking forward to your review as the Razor UHD’s are ones I’m considering for my next pair of hunting binos.

Reactions: NorCal Vu
Has anybody compared the 18x56 UHD to the 18x56 Kaibab? I have the Kaibab and guys I hunt with have everything from Bushnell to Zeiss to Swarovski. I've never felt that I was lacking in clarity compared to using theirs. I've picked out bull elk at over 6 miles with mine and had enough detail to know if they were worth pursuing or not. I can't imagine spending any more than I did on a set of binoculars for any incremental amount of gain in detail. Finding a bull at 8 miles instead of 6 just doesn't offer any help.

I got to look thru the UHDs at the vortex booth at mammoth and I was very impressed with them. I really liked the 12s compared to the 18s, we were watching the 985 target and could spot impacts and misses on the sight in plate, probably 24”x24”. I was dead set on Binos and then I looked thru the 85mm razor spotter with the 22x LER lens. Think that’s going to be my next purchase

I just sold my kaibobs, the uhd blew it away. Not even close. Honestly. I was impressed at first but the more I used them the more disappointed I was. They compare to the bushnell forge but zeiss, uhd, el, and leica all blow them away.
Has anybody compared the 18x56 UHD to the 18x56 Kaibab? I have the Kaibab and guys I hunt with have everything from Bushnell to Zeiss to Swarovski. I've never felt that I was lacking in clarity compared to using theirs. I've picked out bull elk at over 6 miles with mine and had enough detail to know if they were worth pursuing or not. I can't imagine spending any more than I did on a set of binoculars for any incremental amount of gain in detail. Finding a bull at 8 miles instead of 6 just doesn't offer any help.

Buddy and I compared his 15x SLC’s to the UHD 12x tonight. We both felt like they were very very close totally impressed with the UHD Vortex 12x.

Have yet to look through any UHDs, but if they're that close. Can't beat it for the warranty. Especially if theyre going to be tripod/glassing combo for hunts. 18x may be a bit too much, but 12x wouldn't be bad glassing open country.

I own a pair of 10x42 slc and have looked through the UHD. When making the decision on which pair to buy resale value was a big factor, not that I ever plan to sell but it’s nice to know I’m not going to lose a penny on my slc(I bought used in new condition)
The UHD will take a beating on the used market

Reactions: Prophet78
I own a pair of 10x42 slc and have looked through the UHD. When making the decision on which pair to buy resale value was a big factor, not that I ever plan to sell but it’s nice to know I’m not going to lose a penny on my slc(I bought used in new condition)
The UHD will take a beating on the used market

That’s the problem with any optic purchase. Vortex or not.

Just have to buy the UHD’s right. How many times have you seen a 50% vortex cert on a table?

That’s the problem with any optic purchase. Vortex or not.

Just have to buy the UHD’s right. How many times have you seen a 50% vortex cert on a table?
$2150 with 50% off is $1075, add in the $290 for the certificate and your at $2275 assuming no tax or shipping. I bought my SLC in new condition for $1200 and they’ll be worth $1000+ 15 years from now . I think the bud are great binos, however for the same price as swaro I can’t justify choosing the vortex

Last edited:
The certs can he had for $100 to $125. Further, I’m talking about picking them off a table rather than be purchased. Before you cry foul, patience is a virtue. I’ve bought and sold them several times at that rate.

2nd vortex knows what they are doing with those certs. They are designed to be used by the people who get them from the tables, not to be bought and sold.

Lastly, your math is either flawed or fat fingered.

$200 not $290. And even at the price of $100 your still looking at $1175 with no shipping or tax. Not far off the price of a used swaro in great condition with a killer resale value and honestly superior glass, how superior? That’s up to each individuals eyes but I don’t think anyone here is saying they’re better than swaro. As I said I do t think anyone could go wrong either way but for me the swaro was the easy choice.

SLC’s for under $1200 used? Really, where? I saw a pair the other day for $1800 or $1900 used. And I don’t think I’ve seen a pair of 10x42’s on the line. I usually see the bigger pair.

Most of the time I see them for more than $2K.

You have to compare apples to apples. The 18x or 15x. Not 10x.

They’re $1549 brand new so now exactly sure why someone would be asking over retail

Attachments

• CEFEAA83-A0EC-4A0D-A23C-AA62F2FF6ADD.png
    CEFEAA83-A0EC-4A0D-A23C-AA62F2FF6ADD.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
They’re $1549 brand new so now exactly sure why someone would be asking over retail

Sorry, I missed the point about 10x42’s. Again, I’m talking about the 18x56.

We also need to be talking about new vs. new and MSRP vs. MSRP.

If someone were to use a 55% cert with Swaro, the cert value is almost double if not triple the price of the comparable Vortex cert on the second hand market.

Further, you would be getting % off MSRP like you would with Vortex.

The 10x42 YHD’s are significantly cheaper through a retail store. Again, I feel your comparison is flawed. New MSRP vs used vs retail, etc etc.

The point I’m making is all being equal MSRP vs. MSRP purchased with a cert OFF a prize table is a killer deal for any Razor UHD bino set.

The quality is similar, is it equal. No.

let’s compare apples to apples, forget the certificates and let’s also forget the MSRP as we both know no one pays msrp.
I can’t seem to find the 10x42 UHD for less than $1499 retail,The Swaro slc 10x42 are $1549. I want to reiterate I like the vortex a lot, I was extremely surprised with them when I had the opportunity to look through them. I think we can all agree the swaro are top tier and hard to beat especially when the price difference is so small. Factor in buying from a hide sponsor Cameraland and you don’t pay tax or shipping the prices are basically identical.
I don’t think anyone would be disappointed with either bino purchase

I agree with your statements 100%. I’m willing to bet, with some digger or talking to others, you can find the UHD’s for several $100 less than the equivalent bino’s.

Comparing the SLC 15x56 to the UHD’s, the price difference I’m willing to bet would be between $300 to $600 difference. I know if a shop that if you call them for pricing on Vortex products will net you additional savings. Just like Cameraland, they offer pricing under what is supposed to be allowed by the manufacturer.

At the end of the day, are you willing to spend a premium on a product that is marginally better to the tune of $300 to $600?

Toss in Vortex’s no hassle warranty. I’d choose Vortex if I were to buy a high end set of Bino’s.

For their rifle scopes, I’ll never pay retail or buy a Vortex scope new because of the abundance of them for sale 2nd hand and their warranty program.