• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex scope need help picking one

xdmatt1320

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2011
All rite I am looking to get a better scope I like the Vortex scopes but am having a hard time deciding on one. It will be used for deer mostly range from 0 to 450 yards on average. and out to 800 when playing. I like mil-mil adjustments. I am thinking somewhere around 4 to 16 power with 50mm for light. not sheer I need I. any help would be great !!

I was also throwing around the idea of a fixed 10x but not sheer how it would do at closer ranges.

Re: Vortex scope need help picking one

On a hunting rifle for deer? Out to about 450 yards? I'd say a good 3-9X or something in that neighborhood. What caliber is this going on top of. You kind of have to watch the Vortex Viper scopes. The eye relief is kind of short.

It is 270 I am open to other branded the trouble I am having is finding mil mil adjustments

That one looks good is their a big difference in low light shooting 44 vs 50 mm

Not when you don't go higher up in magnification. The more magnificatin you have, the bigger your objective should be to gather light

The 4-16x50 and 2.5-10x44 would be pretty similar when it comes to light gathering

good to know the pst 4x16 x 44 is a good price to 599.00

Is their one similar with out the IR

^^^I guess you're looking at a second focal plane version (SFP) at that price. I think it's worth the extra money to buy the first focal plane version FFP. I have the 4-16 FFP PST and it is an outstanding scope. YMMV

that was my next ??? if it is worth the money for the FFP

The Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 with the EBR-1 Mrad reticle would be perfect for your specs. MIL/Mil adjustment, FFP, zero stop feature and Illuminated reticle. This is a really good scope. I love mine. I have not found a better scope for the money and for that matter for twice the money. Comes with sunshade and battery. The optics are top notch and there is really nothing that you cant do with this scope plus you can get it for less than a grand. I really like the EBR reticle, it makes ranging IMHO much easier. To my eye the mil dot and oval mil dot is harder to get precise size estimates. The ERB uses mil lines and for me its easier to accurately estimate target size. For example if you get into unknown range shooting it is very important to be able to range at least the nearest 1/10 of a mil. As for your question is FFP worth the extra money, YES I believe it is. Plus I know you originally stated that you were looking at a 4x16x50. But for 50 dollars more you can step up to the 6x24 for those times that you want to play around at long range.

im running a 4-16 pst mil/mil right now, and i think it would be perfect for your purpose, i was out at a friends late last night trying to kill what ever keeps harassing his animals and that scope performed really well on empty beer cans, unfortunately no problem critter

$-16 would be the pick for hunting. The 6-24 will not focus below 50yds, and this is stated in the spec's. Other than that it't a great scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hogrider2003flht</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6-24 will not focus below 50yds, and this is stated in the spec's. Other than that it't a great scope </div></div>

The parallax knob goes down to 50yds, but that does not mean it won't focus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hogrider2003flht</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6-24 will not focus below 50yds, and this is stated in the spec's. Other than that it't a great scope </div></div>

The parallax knob goes down to 50yds, but that does not mean it won't focus. </div></div>

This is correct. The scope will still focus beneath 50yds, but the parallax might not be perfect.

Scott