• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex scope question??

madav8r

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
I have the vortex viper 6-24x50 pst and was at the range and was the first time I've dialed dope for the given range. I shot groups at 100 and was dead on the bullseye then dialed out to 400 yards and shot. When i dialed back to zero at 100 and shot. I was grouping about an 1in to the right but dead on. I then dialed my windage to get back to adjust for it and was back to dead on. After that i did the same thing, dialed to 400 and came back to zero and was perfect and went to 300 and came back and was still dead on elevation and windage. Was it just a fluke or is the scope not the best for dialing dope on the turrets. Its the best scope i could afford at the time and offers all the features i liked. Im guessing it was me but it grouped to the right after the first time but was fine after that. Any ideas? Is it a repeatable scope

That's a great scope, but it doesn't rule out the possibility you may have a bad turret or other scope issue. Do some more testing before drawing any conclusions. Don't worry either way, your vortex has one of the best warranties in the game.

That's a great scope, but it doesn't rule out the possibility you may have a bad turret or other scope issue. Do some more testing before drawing any conclusions. Don't worry either way, your vortex has one of the best warranties in the game.

Yea.. I already had it in just after buying if for a canted reticle. I wont be happy to send it back just after getting it dialed in again. Haha hope not

It is also possible that you may have accidentally moved the windage turret.?

Mine dials just fine. i jump around between 2-600 dialing between every shot and haven't once had an issue.

Mine tracks dead on... you might have developed a slight flinch that shooting session, and dialing a correction is correcting for the flinch... or maybe you hit the windage, or the mount isn't secure... I have done all of those things in the past!

Take it out again and shoot it to see what it does... that said if it's a Vortex problem they are VERY good at getting things fixed... some of the best customer service I have seen.

I have the vortex viper 6-24x50 pst and was at the range and was the first time I've dialed dope for the given range. I shot groups at 100 and was dead on the bullseye then dialed out to 400 yards and shot. When i dialed back to zero at 100 and shot. I was grouping about an 1in to the right but dead on. I then dialed my windage to get back to adjust for it and was back to dead on. After that i did the same thing, dialed to 400 and came back to zero and was perfect and went to 300 and came back and was still dead on elevation and windage. Was it just a fluke or is the scope not the best for dialing dope on the turrets. Its the best scope i could afford at the time and offers all the features i liked. Im guessing it was me but it grouped to the right after the first time but was fine after that. Any ideas? Is it a repeatable scope

Do you happen to know what your top scope ring screws are torqued to? I had an issue with my Vortex not holding zero as well, and when I called Vortex they recommended these screws be torqued to no more than 15-18 in lbs. Depending on which rings you have, I would consider taking the torque down to this range. I use the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings, with 3 screws, so I just set mine at 15 in lbs and all is well. I have no movement, and scope retains zero flawlessly. What happens when the torque is too great on the rear ring, is that it binds up your erector, not allowing it to move properly. If the torque is too great on the front ring, your parallax adjustment will be off. I could see the results of both, as I was having to set my parallax at the 250 yard mark, before it was parallax free at 200 yards.

Do you happen to know what your top scope ring screws are torqued to? I had an issue with my Vortex not holding zero as well, and when I called Vortex they recommended these screws be torqued to no more than 15-18 in lbs. Depending on which rings you have, I would consider taking the torque down to this range. I use the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings, with 3 screws, so I just set mine at 15 in lbs and all is well. I have no movement, and scope retains zero flawlessly. What happens when the torque is too great on the rear ring, is that it binds up your erector, not allowing it to move properly. If the torque is too great on the front ring, your parallax adjustment will be off. I could see the results of both, as I was having to set my parallax at the 250 yard mark, before it was parallax free at 200 yards.
Thanks. Ill check them.