• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex strike eagle 5-25 ffp

Hi all. New member here. Can someone help me understand the glass quality? This scope seems perfect if the glass is sharp enough for my 50 year old eyes. I want to shoot out to 1000 yds with a 6.5 CM. Will also use for occasional south Texas deer hunting (max distance 200 yds). I've never shot past 300 (other than belt-fed MG) so I don't know how good the glass needs to be to see 1000. Any insight on this Strike Eagle would be appreciated.

Played with one at the range today VS my PST Gen II. Honestly could not tell the difference in quality/clarity even back into the woods at 600yds, I think the SE has a more forgiving eyebox for sure than at least my copy of the PST genII and it has locking turrets that have much better solid clicks than the PST. Honestly I think its probably a better scope than my PST for what I do and I was pretty happy with my PST... Went home and ordered one from Sport Optics instead of doing the waiting game with ExpertVoice (which was awesome btw and they will have my business going forward). Will probably order another one to replace the Diamonback Tactical that I somehow still have on my Valkyrie.

I have 50 yo eyes and I seen just fine out to 1k with one earlier today, its a little mushy at 25x but then again pretty much all scopes under $1k and some over are as well.

The copy I shot tracked well and was acceptable clarity even above its price point.

Your mileage may vary of course....

Reactions: Squad51
In my opinion, it’s a lot of scope for what it is and really more than what it should be. I have looked thru just about every scope out there from tasco to theta. There will always be “better glass”. Question is will you utilize it? If you can identify your target to your acceptance then you have all the scope you need. I just think after so much you are getting diminished returns and it becomes personal preference. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: EscapeVelocity
Yup my 53 year old eyes had no problem seeing targets at 550 with it compared to the PST Gen II. Glad I am not the only one feeling that way.

Reactions: EscapeVelocity
I think for recreational shooting this is a great option...

Thank you all for the quick responses. I was having a hard time rationalizing a $1K scope for my recreational use. I am going to order this SE scope.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I was having a hard time rationalizing a $1K scope for my recreational use. I am going to order this SE scope.

If you are LE/Mil/Vet/First responder you can get it at a discount through Sport Optics. Just letting you know as you might be from your name.

It looks like really decent value for money. But whoever named it needs to lay off the comic books before going to work...

is there even such as thing as a Strike Eagle? It sounds very 'Will Ferrell'....

It looks like really decent value for money. But whoever named it needs to lay off the comic books before going to work...

is there even such as thing as a Strike Eagle? It sounds very 'Will Ferrell'....
Marketing for you. 90% of firearms owners are impulse buyers. There are a crap ton of people that believe Sightmark M-Spec red dots are military quality.

If you are LE/Mil/Vet/First responder you can get it at a discount through Sport Optics. Just letting you know as you might be from your name.
Thanks. Army veteran and former volunteer firefighter. I've sent my request in to Expert Voice. I looked at Sport Optics but did not see any discount information. Should I call them to ask about the discount?

Marketing for you. 90% of firearms owners are impulse buyers. There are a crap ton of people that believe Sightmark M-Spec red dots are military quality.

true enough. I remember the good ol' Counter-Sniper.... 'cos if there's one thing I want to be in, it's a duel with a gen-u-wine sniper....!

1589066035667.jpeg

Thanks. Army veteran and former volunteer firefighter. I've sent my request in to Expert Voice. I looked at Sport Optics but did not see any discount information. Should I call them to ask about the discount?

CALL EM, DD214 and they will take care of you. Should be just about 480.00

Reactions: Squad51
fair enough. But THAT one actually flies.... :ROFLMAO:

Average Pop can diameter is about 66mm, scope is 56mm... so put it in one of those pop can launchers with a bit of wadding and you can make the scope fly too! Best part is even after you do that vortex will replace for free with their warranty...

Yes call them. As mentioned above Sport Optic will take care of you with the discount.

A couple days ago I spotted a new thread in the equipment sub-forum titled "hellfire vs sidewinder". My first thought was uh-oh, a couple new scope models from Vortex.

I like the company, they take care of their customers. But, I agree with you! 😆

Last edited:
What rings do y'all recommend? This is going on a Rem 700 with a Seekins 20moa rail. Trying to keep the price reasonable.

What rings do y'all recommend? This is going on a Rem 700 with a Seekins 20moa rail. Trying to keep the price reasonable.

You've already got a seekins base, why not match it up to Seekins rings?

I bought a set of NiB Vortex (Seekins) PMR rings on eBay for $83 shipped.

Last edited:
Reactions: ken226
If this scope holds up and I see more and more positive reviews, it may edge out the 3-15 PST I’ve been eying/wanting

If this scope holds up and I see more and more positive reviews, it may edge out the 3-15 PST I’ve been eying/wanting
Went out again today and my wife has about 150rds though her 6.5 with the strike Eagle and I’ve got about another 75rds though it as well..
Tracks spot on and is super easy to get behind. We were shooting out to 900 yards again today and it’s super easy to spot your own hits or misses ;)

Short clip of her shooting the 18” at 900 yards in a 7 to 12mph wind..

If it continues to perform this well then I’ll be getting another for my 22lr trainer and a few other rifles

You've already got a seekins base, why not match it up to Seekins rings?
My cost equation changes when I add in $140 for rings (or even $83 for Bluedogs’s rings). I already have 30mm rings, so the Strike Eagle + rings is approaching the cost of a PST Gen 2.

Yup my 53 year old eyes had no problem seeing targets at 550 with it compared to the PST Gen II. Glad I am not the only one feeling that way.

Are you saying the SE was just as good as the PST G2 or was good enough at 550?

I was planning to buy another 5-25 PST soon but may have to give this new SE a try instead.

The strike eagle copy I got behind was no discernible difference in clarity from my pst gen 2. Now that may have been an excellent SE Copy or my pst is shittier than I thought or they may just be really close, but I ordered a SE yesterday.

I have my SE and I can tell you there is no difference maybe even a bit better with more light transmission. Better snag one before price goes up and everyone figures out how good it is for the money.

Are you saying the SE was just as good as the PST G2 or was good enough at 550?

I was planning to buy another 5-25 PST soon but may have to give this new SE a try instead.

As I said above back on page 5, the SE is very close to the PST 5-25. I think the PST slightly edges it out but it's very close. At 550, which was the farthest we had that day, it would have not been the glass that would have caused a miss. Both could see the target just fine.

Not going to tell you which to buy but take a good look at the specs of both and buy the one that works best for your needs.

It seems like a lot of people are comparing this to the PST2 which happens to be what I’m running right now. Does anyone with knowledge of the Vortex line up have an explanation of that intended differences between the Viper PST and Strike Eagle product lines? Is it a China vs not China thing? Something else? Otherwise, all else being equal, the spec sheet seems to indicate the Strike Eagle is the no-brainer choice, with the only difference I could find being Nitrogen vs Argon.

Has anyone done a tracking test on this new model?

As I said above back on page 5, the SE is very close to the PST 5-25. I think the PST slightly edges it out but it's very close. At 550, which was the farthest we had that day, it would have not been the glass that would have caused a miss. Both could see the target just fine.

Not going to tell you which to buy but take a good look at the specs of both and buy the one that works best for your needs.

Glass aside how do they both compare?
How much are you actually giving up with the SE for the $300ish saved?

Im not fussed on the 34mm tube but the locking turrets amd wider FOV would be nice.
Usually its pretty clear cut that more money spent=better scope but the line seems a bit blurred in this situation.

How do they compare at max magnification?
My PST 5-25 suffered from 20-25x in less than ideal lighting, is the SE much the same or does the 56mm obj fix that issue?

Clarity wise there is absolutely no discernible difference that I seen from the SE vs the PST2. The SE I tested tracked perfectly and when mine comes in this week a tracking test is always the first thing I do (and I have had vortex scopes not track but they have fixed them without fail).

the only downside I seen I prefer the zero stop of the pst2 vs the SE but other than that I think you would be foolish to pay the extra for the pst2.

How do they compare at max magnification?
My PST 5-25 suffered from 20-25x in less than ideal lighting, is the SE much the same or does the 56mm obj fix that issue?

they both are mushy at 20-25x if you want clarity up there a razer is in your future.

(it’s still usable at 20-25x it’s almost like the pixel peepers in the camera world where you have to define usable vs good).

@koshkin did you ever have a chance to make it to the range with the Strike Eagle yet? I know I’m probably not the only one awaiting your breakdown and comparison.

I’m still waiting on my rings then first thing I’m doing is tracking test.

@koshkin did you ever have a chance to make it to the range with the Strike Eagle yet? I know I’m probably not the only one awaiting your breakdown and comparison.

Yes I have. So far so good. Optics look quite nice for the money. I like the zero stop. Next step is to work out the turrets properly.

Just came back from my normal Friday shooting session I now have two of these scopes to goof around with, one on a valkyrie and one on a 6.5cm took both out to 880 yards today with ease (couldnt go farther people working in the back fields). Both tracked perfectly both to my eyes at least have pretty much identical glass to my PST2. I have 18mil of elevation left on the one on the valk after setting the zero stop and 14 on the 6.5.

In my opinion massive step up from the Diamondback, lateral step on the PST2, big step down from my Razer II.

Probably the best $479 I have spent in awhile