• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex strike eagle 5-25 ffp

Not a 5-25 PST. They are around $1000 and the Strike Eagle will end up around $650 area.

As for the glass and zero stop, we will have to wait until they are on the streets to see how they end up but from the people I spoke to that have used them the glass is pretty good for the price point. No report on zero stop yet but I doubt you lose any elevation from it. Scope has 31 mils so there will be elevation below the stop as there always is with any zero stop but it’s not losing any.

If you use the Zero Stop, the elevation adjustment available drops to 47 MOA/ 18 Mil.

index-page-001.jpg

And just like that, Arken is taking a back seat to the 600$ 34mm bracket.

I called it 4 months ago.

Man, I don't know. With the huge loss of elevation adjustment if you use the zero stop, I'd be hard pressed to consider using this Strike Eagle on anything other than a rimfire.

Reactions: Gohring65
Yeah that doesn't sound right. Never saw that with any zero stop I have used on any scope. Will check into it.

WOW! That is less than half of the advertised elevation adjustment when using the zero stop. Imagine if you have a 30 moa or 40 moa offset, you may not even be able to achieve zero when using the zero stop. Maybe people will be able to use custom shims to get over this, kind of like what people were doing with Sightron scopes.

I was comparing to the GenI PST, as that is currently on my Vudoo. Was told that using the zero stop system that comes with the SE 5-25 you would have about 13 more MOA than with GenI PST. If my quarantined brain function is correct that would be an extra 3.5 Mrad or so over what I use now. Make no mistake, the zero stop system on this scope reduces usable elevation but it is likely still enough adjustment range more most cases. My GI PST (FFP/Mrad) on a 20MOA base with 50 yard zero is right at its elevation limits with 22LR match ammo at 300 yards.
It stands to reason this isn't as good a scope as the GII PST in some ways (mainly the zero stop system) but it should certainly fit tight budgets.

That is correct. My old Gen 1 PST 6-24 once zeroed had about 14.4 mils left of up. I would have to hold over about 7 mils to hit at 400 yards with my .22LR but like you said was able to dial to 300. So even at 18 it would be more but I am wondering if that number is based on a 0 MOA base and if any cant in the base would add to that number.

I;ve been on the sidelines and not shooting at all for a couple years, so I may have this backwards, but when you have a 20 MOA (or whatever) canted rail, doesn't it effectively make you zero the scope in the lower end of it's adjustment range (at least lower than mechanical zero)? Thus giving you more range of elevation adjustment?

Bluto yes it does but not with this scope and the zero stop.

Got some clarification. You do end up with only around 18 mils when the zero stop ring is installed. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 0 or 40 moa base. The overall travel isn’t effected. Only the amount of up elevation. So with it installed you only have about 18 mils up.

Now if you needed more than the 18 mils then you can still use it and just mark how many mils are below your zero like any scope with no stop. Using a 40 moa base would work well with the scope as it would drop you to less than one rotation under zero.

Man, I don't know. With the huge loss of elevation adjustment if you use the zero stop, I'd be hard pressed to consider using this Strike Eagle on anything other than a rimfire.

Actually it would work well on a centerfire. Most short actions from 6mm to .308s take around 7.5-10.5 mils to get to 1000 so you would easily get to 1000+ yards with 18 mils.

I apologize if posting videos is uncool, but here how to set the Zero Stop on the SE 5-25x56. Can someone explain why installing the Rev Stop Ring takes up elevation adjustment? Is it as simple as the RSR takes up space under cap so the turret cant travel as far? Would a thinner RSR regain some of the lost travel? Scope noob here, so be kind :)

That is correct. My old Gen 1 PST 6-24 once zeroed had about 14.4 mils left of up. I would have to hold over about 7 mils to hit at 400 yards with my .22LR but like you said was able to dial to 300. So even at 18 it would be more but I am wondering if that number is based on a 0 MOA base and if any cant in the base would add to that number.
I took in the vein of our conversation to be with a 0 MOA base but not 100% positive. Without real-world comparison I can't say for sure but I really expect the SE 5-25 to have improved glass quality over the original PST (and the quality of the PST GI is pretty damn good). I plan to try one of the new Strike Eagles and just see for myself.

Yea, I guess I can function without the zero stop if the extra long range dialing would be needed. Doesn't seem like a deal breaker, rather something to be mindful of. I'm so used to compromises in this price bracket that this seems like a non issue to me. Otherwise I'd save more for less compromises.

Reactions: shoot4fun
I guess unless you REALLY couldn’t afford to bump to a PST2, the elevation loss with the zero stop would be a disappointment for me. The PST 5-25x is stated to have 20mil, so more elevation, an arguably better zero stop, and better glass for $200ish more depending where you buy seems like the way to go. I can do without the 56mm objective and the 34mm tube. Locking turrets will definitely help prevent errant turret movement though, I suppose. I’ll wait to see how they perform before I think about trying one on a .22 trainer.

I'd agree, the loss of elevation with the zero stop for takes what was already a "well it's got a close parallax and a ton of elevation, might be worth a try on a 22" on the fence deal and kills it. Yes I could not use the zero stop and work around it, or I could simply dial and then hold, but that huge elevation adjustment was a big plus for a plus for an intended .22 host. Not surprising they don't mention that loss of 13 mil of elevation adjustment downside anywhere unless you dig it out of the manual specs. I wonder how many guys that jumped the gun and ordered them are going to get a unwelcome surprise when they find that out.

Reactions: TRG65
Bluto yes it does but not with this scope and the zero stop.

Got some clarification. You do end up with only around 18 mils when the zero stop ring is installed. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 0 or 40 moa base. The overall travel isn’t effected. Only the amount of up elevation. So with it installed you only have about 18 mils up.

Now if you needed more than the 18 mils then you can still use it and just mark how many mils are below your zero like any scope with no stop. Using a 40 moa base would work well with the scope as it would drop you to less than one rotation under zero.
Thanks. Glad I'm not THAT rusty! Still haven't wrapped my head around why you lose so much elevation with the zero stop, but 18 mils should be more than enough to get out to whatever range the likely user of this scope would be shooting at.

Can you clarify your last sentence though? If I understand correctly, the 40 MOA base drops the under zero rotation to less than one because it makes your zero closer to the mechanical bottom of the elevation range.

40 MOA is roughly 12 Mils (I think), 10 mils per rotation on turret, assuming zero at point less than one rotation (say 9 Mils from the bottom), would give a guy 22 Mils that could be dialed for a total of 34 Mils elevation. That's a helluva lot of elevation!

Thanks. Glad I'm not THAT rusty! Still haven't wrapped my head around why you lose so much elevation with the zero stop, but 18 mils should be more than enough to get out to whatever range the likely user of this scope would be shooting at.

Can you clarify your last sentence though? If I understand correctly, the 40 MOA base drops the under zero rotation to less than one because it makes your zero closer to the mechanical bottom of the elevation range.

40 MOA is roughly 12 Mils (I think), 10 mils per rotation on turret, assuming zero at point less than one rotation (say 9 Mils from the bottom), would give a guy 22 Mils that could be dialed for a total of 34 Mils elevation. That's a helluva lot of elevation!

Your right. 18 mils is a lot of elevation. And that doesn't add the reticle hold in there too.

As to the question, yes the 40 MOA base should drop it below a turn at zero. with 31 mils you have about 15.5 up and 15.5 down. Take that 40 MOA which is about 11.6 mils would put you at about 27.1 mils up and 3.9 mils below your zero so it would be easy to know when you are down near zero and you would have a ton of up elevation. Even with a 20 MOA base you would end up with about 21 mils up and 10 down so one full rotation. Still tough to get lost.

Reactions: jafo96
Your right. 18 mils is a lot of elevation. And that doesn't add the reticle hold in there too.

So it just occurred to me that 47 moa is equal to only 14 mils. I'm not sure how Vortex is coming up with 47 moa and 18 mrad, but if those numbers are correct, the only explanation I can fathom is that the mrad version maintains more adjustment when using the zero stop. But that doesn't make sense to me.

So it just occurred to me that 47 moa is equal to only 14 mils. I'm not sure how Vortex is coming up with 47 moa and 18 mrad, but if those numbers are correct, the only explanation I can fathom is that the mrad version maintains more adjustment when using the zero stop. But that doesn't make sense to me.

I am sure it’s like the Razor II in that the mil and moa versions only get three revolutions off zero. With that you can get 30 mils or 75 moa which is less than 30 mils. Most likely something similar with the Strike Eagle and the difference.

Reactions: lgbarne
My Sightron SIII doesn't have a zero stop and it kind of sucks. I ordered one of these Strike Eagles from SportOptics and I will see how bad the zero stop thing annoys me. I'm curious to compare the glass in this with my Sig Tango 4 that it will be replacing. I'm putting this on my RPR 556 so elevation is nice to have.

I just ran into an issue with my Sig Tango 4 where with a Warner 20 moa mount and the 20 moa RPR base, I was bottoming out the elevation adjustment. With a factory barrel, I didn't have enough elevation to get to 1000 without the 20 moa mount. When I replaced the barrel, I was bottoming out the scope. I had to hold 5 moa high on my reticle for a 100 yard zero with the new barrel. I just replaced the mount with regular rings and I'm good to go now.

Once I get this thing, I will see how much elevation it has both with and without the zero stop installed after it's zero'd.

I am sure it’s like the Razor II in that the mil and moa versions only get three revolutions off zero. With that you can get 30 mils or 75 moa which is less than 30 mils. Most likely something similar with the Strike Eagle and the difference.
This makes sense, but isn't 47 moa less than 2 full revolutions? Don't these come with 25 moa turrets? I'd be ok with 47 MOA adjustment UP from zero. I wouldn't be ok with 23.5.

This makes sense, but isn't 47 moa less than 2 full revolutions? Don't these come with 25 moa turrets? I'd be ok with 47 MOA adjustment UP from zero. I wouldn't be ok with 23.5.

Yes and 18 mils is less than 2 rotations also. So they are about in the same area.

My Sightron SIII doesn't have a zero stop and it kind of sucks. I ordered one of these Strike Eagles from SportOptics and I will see how bad the zero stop thing annoys me. I'm curious to compare the glass in this with my Sig Tango 4 that it will be replacing. I'm putting this on my RPR 556 so elevation is nice to have.

I just ran into an issue with my Sig Tango 4 where with a Warner 20 moa mount and the 20 moa RPR base, I was bottoming out the elevation adjustment. With a factory barrel, I didn't have enough elevation to get to 1000 without the 20 moa mount. When I replaced the barrel, I was bottoming out the scope. I had to hold 5 moa high on my reticle for a 100 yard zero with the new barrel. I just replaced the mount with regular rings and I'm good to go now.

Once I get this thing, I will see how much elevation it has both with and without the zero stop installed after it's zero'd.

You won't bottom out the elevation with the Strike Eagle. It has plenty of elevation for 40 MOA combo set up like that.

With the zero stop installed you will have around 18 mils or 47 MOA as it states but without you will have more depending on the MOA in the base.

18mils will be enough to get my 260 out too a mile without needing to hold over and my 22lr out to 300m.
For the average rimfire shooter this scope will do fine.

I'd rather they kept it a 50mm objective as 56mm basically forces you into needing a fully adjustable cheek rest, meaning you'll more than likely need to upgrade your stock (if you weren't doing that anyway).

Maybe. I run 56mm on rifles with no adjustable stock. Kind of depends on the mounting. If anything a stock pack would give enough height without an adjustable comb.

Reactions: jafo96
71AD599B-6E55-4239-B2EB-FC2734C26A11.jpeg

While running a 20 moa rail and bore sighted you will easily be able to use the zero stop and still have 19 +/-mils of adjustment. On the 22LR for example using a the 20 MOA rail, low Vortex precision rings and the zero stop installed using Midas + ammo while zeroed at a 100 yards had 18.2 mils of available travel at a -1200 DA for environment and you still have the additional 10 mils of holdover to use yet.

Cooper 57M

I will mention the Zero Stop ring is really easy to work with when setting it up or even after the fact when wanting to change your zero. Also no allen wrenches needed when setting up your turret - sweet
The turrets have a good detention when running it and wanting to stop at a certain point.
The locking of the turrets is easier to work with then even the Razors but I never had any complaints there either, some thought they were a little stiff.
Also I really can’t find any complaints in the glass its crisp clear and is everything I need even with older eyes for seeing what I want and sending a bullet on target.
I did a simple box test and it passed there as well. We will still lock it down and do a scope calibration test as we have done on all of our ELR scopes just so we know where it is once we can start getting around again and have use of a certain building.
All in all this is my mini Razor that should preform very very well.

This should give you a peace of mind as to where your 22LR will be when using a set up very similar.

Oneshot.onehiit

Last edited:
Not counting limited model sales, LE/MIL/buddy prices when the PST ii 7c first came out no one was selling them under $1000, now you can easily find them for $850, DVOR has them for that every couple weeks. Even with 13% off the best price I've seen for the Strike Eagle was $613, meaning it's less than $250 to go up to the PST 2 for "average joe" street prices right now. Now 6-12 months from now the prices on the Strike Eagle might drop, or we'll see a PST III and they will hard price it back up to $1000+ and the delta will change. So on one hand while it's kind of unfair to compare the just released "beta tester premium" price of the brand new Strike Eagle to a 3+ year old PST II (just with a new reticle) street price, that's the reality of things now. Now I hope a $700 2020 Strike Eagle is better than a 3 year old $700 Vortex, but how close is it to the PST 2, when you're only saving $235. Might be closer than we think with another 3 years of development.

If there's one thing I've learned it's if you are in the $750-$1250 tier for optics, hold out for deals, because unlike the top tier stuff, there are always killer blowouts at least three times a year.

Off the top of my head in the last 2 years:
LRHS 3-18's for $750
LRTS 3-18 for $1000 bundled with a Kestrel Sportsman Ballistic Link
Vortex PST II 5-15's 2D for $675, 5-25's 2D's for $775
Sig Tango 6 3-18's for $850
FX 1000 4-16 illum for $380
Athlon Ares BTR 4-27's for $425
Bushnell is running 25% price rebates at least twice a year.

And there's probably at least a dozen others that I missed.

Have you got a link for a cheap Athlon Ares ?

Interested how this will winding up comparing to an Optika6

@CaptNemo I believe the Ares price was a blowout sale that ran last year and you can't find that price anymore.

Can’t wait to hear from fellow members experience.
Will it also work on my 50 BMG rifle?
Not sure it’s rated for that caliber.

I'll have them in tomorrow. Excited to get some time with it to see what it's all about. Seems like it's going to be a pretty good value at it's price point.

Reactions: shoot4fun
They are here..... First impressions are decent. Turrets are similar to the pst gII click wise. glass isn't to shabby but i would definitely compare it to the pst gen I or HST. Gen II i feel does have the leg up of course in comparison glass wise by my eyes. I bought 2 of them gonna mount one of them and see how it compares and figure out the zero stop. If anyone wants any pictures just let me know.

Can you please take some pic and also close up pic if you don’t mind?
Really looking forward to get one.

They are here..... First impressions are decent. Turrets are similar to the pst gII click wise. glass isn't to shabby but i would definitely compare it to the pst gen I or HST. Gen II i feel does have the leg up of course in comparison glass wise by my eyes. I bought 2 of them gonna mount one of them and see how it compares and figure out the zero stop. If anyone wants any pictures just let me know.

thanks so much this info. im gonna stick with athlon for this price point. It was always gonna be difficult for me to try something else after the midas tacs and Ares.

Here ya go

Attachments

• 75C7EAE6-56F4-447D-BDDA-13F8082B08A1.jpeg
    75C7EAE6-56F4-447D-BDDA-13F8082B08A1.jpeg
    538.1 KB · Views: 322
  • 0808B5E6-3E86-4AB3-85BC-30CDBD69786A.jpeg
    0808B5E6-3E86-4AB3-85BC-30CDBD69786A.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 306
  • 76D95B26-1FBF-4FF2-904A-5B85EA81A651.jpeg
    76D95B26-1FBF-4FF2-904A-5B85EA81A651.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 296
  • 9663A561-C33B-4992-8F9C-588D08040516.jpeg
    9663A561-C33B-4992-8F9C-588D08040516.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 5643C843-A10B-45B1-B9C0-FDF89FA5BDD5.jpeg
    5643C843-A10B-45B1-B9C0-FDF89FA5BDD5.jpeg
    506.9 KB · Views: 337
let me know what pictures you want i will try to figure out how to put a video of turrets on here

Reactions: tomcatfan
They are here..... First impressions are decent. Turrets are similar to the pst gII click wise. glass isn't to shabby but i would definitely compare it to the pst gen I or HST.
I hope the turrets are better than the pst gII 1-6. I get those turrets aren't exposed but they were some of the worst factory turrets I've ever felt. They were almost completely useless due to being stiff and not tactile. I recently took some alcohol to the internals and replaced the factory lube with Hornady wax case lube and it made all the difference in the world.

5x 13x 25x I tried sorry guys

Attachments

• 8A8C05FE-19FA-42BD-8846-F3404832FBFC.jpeg
    8A8C05FE-19FA-42BD-8846-F3404832FBFC.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 446
  • 89EF0648-C71E-46C8-A16B-19F91023F9D1.jpeg
    89EF0648-C71E-46C8-A16B-19F91023F9D1.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 451
  • 35811A7A-67DA-469A-9DAB-22CA9C5BA7D5.jpeg
    35811A7A-67DA-469A-9DAB-22CA9C5BA7D5.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 439
Here are some of the rifle view

Attachments

• D6F7B7BC-2018-461B-9D0A-DB336776A935.jpeg
    D6F7B7BC-2018-461B-9D0A-DB336776A935.jpeg
    846.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 28A393AB-0413-4D57-BE2C-FB8EF3A98E6A.jpeg
    28A393AB-0413-4D57-BE2C-FB8EF3A98E6A.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 9383C9E6-C8DD-4E07-BB15-D3D5FA21A318.jpeg
    9383C9E6-C8DD-4E07-BB15-D3D5FA21A318.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: tomcatfan
turrets look similar to Gen 2 Viper.
oh man... I need to get one.
could you tell me how much you paid and where to get one now?

turrets look similar to Gen 2 Viper.
oh man... I need to get one.
could you tell me how much you paid and where to get one now?
I just ordered one yesterday from SportOptics. They said they are supposed to get them in today or tomorrow and ship by the end of the week. I paid something like $667 shipped after tax. Arizona has pretty high taxes so your price may be a little lower.

thanks for sharing.
gong to order one now!(y)

I just ordered one yesterday from SportOptics. They said they are supposed to get them in today or tomorrow and ship by the end of the week. I paid something like $667 shipped after tax. Arizona has pretty high taxes so your price may be a little lower.

I just bought mine from aaoptics. Ordered it yesterday and it came today, which was blazing fast!
My first impressions are very similar to others. I was impressed but the turrets. They are not at all like the diamondback tactical line or even the previous strike eagle 3-18 or 4-24. They are much more tactile.

The glass really isn't that bad at all. I didn't have a more apples to apples scope next to it but I did have my nightforce NX8 4-32 for a side by side on my 200 yard range. No it wasn't quite as sharp but not so much that I wished I would have paid 3x the price. It did quite well. I could make out the 22 splashes on the 12" steel square at 200 yards. The top end clarity will work fine but it got better if I backed of the mag a bit. I know others are going to ask about a Midas Tac comparison glass wise. I still think the Tac has better glass. For me I'd rather have the features of the strike eagle for my purposes. That's not bashing the glass either, but the Tac is still at the top of the heap for glass in this range.
I think after I spend more time with it at extended ranges, it will be a better assessment. I just didnt have the range today.
It is really nice looking through a 34mm tube and 56mm objective. The FOV was great. I also noticed a forgiving eye box which is great for positional shooting.

Overall, I would not hesitate to buy one of these.

I have one on the way that should be here on Friday that will be going on a rimfire trainer. I’ll get it out to the twanged and give some feedback early next week.

Thanks for the info guys.

If any of you have the original 3-18 SE or the Athlon Ares BTR-4.5-27 how does the glass compare.

I am seriously hoping they make a 3-18 or even 3-15/4-20 version of this scope.

You should do well with a 20 moa rail for a 22LR see the review with one mounted on a Cooper 57M above.

Oneshot.onehit

The trick to get around the zero stop is the get a base with enough MOA built in. I don’t use my zero stops For that reason. I just get 40-50 moa built into the base and or base plus rings. I only have about 2 mils of adjustment below zero on my 22 so if I run my scope until it bottoms out I just come backup to zero. I have about 28 mils of useable elevation on my 34mm scopes and about 17-18 on my 30 mm scopes.

Reactions: Seymour Fish