• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex strike eagle 5-25 ffp

Thank you all for taking the time to post your thoughts and observations about this scope. I have received the one I ordered from Sport Optics and it looks great. Can't wait to get to the range and try it out.

You'll be pleased with it I think, there is a little variability between the two copies that I have. One is more sensitive to parallax adjustments it seems and the other not so much. Keep in mind if something irks you about it or something isnt quite up to par send vortex a call you would be surprised how helpful they are. Their customer service I know everyone says is stellar but honestly its one of the few companies that truly live up to the hype. I honestly think I like some scopes in the Razer II range better and I know I like the color of some scopes better and without a doubt there are better options in the PST price range... but I know I will be taken care of regardless of whatever and thats kind of priceless. Not to mention you can have the same reticle on your $299 scope that your $2000 Razer has, makes moving between scopes pretty seamless,

I know we have wore this thread out but just wanted to post my experience with the SE. Setup tall tracking target which goes up to 9 mils. Scope tracked great. Almost no deviation back to zero. I probably put 100 rds thru my 6 creedmoor and zero stayed spot on.

What caps fit on this scope? I don't see a Butler Creek rear cap that's big enough.

Finally got mine out for a tall target test (only 20 mils)... 1.3% correction factor needed. Could be worse - for the money I am pleased.

A couple days ago I spotted a new thread in the equipment sub-forum titled "hellfire vs sidewinder". My first thought was uh-oh, a couple new scope models from Vortex.

I like the company, they take care of their customers. But, I agree with you! 😆
For those that don't know, the owner of the company is a former fighter pilot (IIRC), so all/most their products are named after aircraft.

Anyone have problems with the turret hash marks lining up? Mine turret hash marks lined up on one side of the turret but but would be completely off on the other. Not just a slight misalignment but right in the middle of 2 hash marks. Are all the SEs like this or did I get a lemon?
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

20200601_165916.jpg

Mine is spot on at 0, but a tad off on the other side of the dial. Here's the worst I could get.

Mine is an MRAD and I checked the elevation and it is spot on no matter where I am on the dial.

Where did you get your LE/MIL/VET discount? I qualify and for that price I'm in.

I apologize that I just saw this! I got mine from AAOptics... Eurooptic also offers a pretty good vet discount.

I sent both of them a copy of the front of my VA ID card. I try not to send DD214 to anyone really. You can always go online and get a statement of service too!

This scope is sorely tempting me; I’m a big Vortex fan and own a few of their scopes, and this one seems to be checking a lot of boxes for its price tag.

Its in direct competition with the SWFA 10X side focus and the PST Gen ii 3-15 right now.

Me too. I don’t need another scope right now by any means, but the idea of just a couple hundred bucks getting a scope for my trainer that has the same design, turret look, dimensions, and reticle as the G2 Razor on my long range rifle...real damn tempting.

If I was sure the glass quality and/or the eyebox at max mag was better than the Ares BTR that’s on it now, I’d jump.

Me too. I don’t need another scope right now by any means, but the idea of just a couple hundred bucks getting a scope for my trainer that has the same design, turret look, dimensions, and reticle as the G2 Razor on my long range rifle...real damn tempting.

If I was sure the glass quality and/or the eyebox at max mag was better than the Ares BTR that’s on it now, I’d jump.
I feel like the eyebox is way better on the Vortex. Maxed out on the Strike Eagle feels about like 16-20x on the Ares. I havnt shot from behind mine yet, but the glass looks pretty close to my eyes.

Hmmm, I like everything about the Ares until you turn it past 20x. Then the eyebox is so tight it’s a bench-only proposition for me.

If the eyebox is that much better...ahhh man the wife’s gonna hate me...

I wonder how it compares to a PST Gen 1. I have the 6-24 on my RPR right now. This is substantially cheaper than the PST Gen 2 in similar magnification, plus it is 34mm (if that's your thing).
It'll be a lot better. The Gen 1 PSTs were a terrible scope in my opinion (decent glass, but broke easily). I had to send in two, dropped One literally a couple Inches off the ground and the turrets shattered. The other one I sent in, the wind she turrets wouldn't adjust. Turns out it snapped from me literally just turning the knob to fast. I love my Strike Eagle 24x 1st gen though, pretty much same glass as pst but feels more rugged.

Just ordered mine from Vortex but is on back order.. Now the waiting begins

Last edited:
Just collected mine today out of the first batch to arrive in New Zealand, bloody rapt with it , however I have to wait 3 weeks for the rings to come , (problem with living at the bottom of the world )Ive been following this thread for the last couple of months,and I have to say thanks for everyones reviews and impressions, I will be sure to post mine once its mounted.

Just collected mine today out of the first batch to arrive in New Zealand, bloody rapt with it , however I have to wait 3 weeks for the rings to come , (problem with living at the bottom of the world )Ive been following this thread for the last couple of months,and I have to say thanks for everyones reviews and impressions, I will be sure to post mine once its mounted.

I'm in NZ too, waiting for my scope but have the rings...
The waiting is definitely the hardest part.

Ok ,so had a look, they are quite high ,what are you putting it on, my rifles in Auckland but im estimating i will only need lows

I picked one of these up just to check it out. Does the paralax on anyone else make a strange clicking sound when you turn it?

I picked one of these up just to check it out. Does the paralax on anyone else make a strange clicking sound when you turn it?
Nope, mine has good tension and turns smoothly.

Hey Guys, I have been comparing the pst gen2 to the strike eagle and have a question. I read earlier in the thread someone saying they don’t like the zero stop on the strike eagle as it eats elevation. Am I correct that even though it eats elevation it still has almost the same overall adjustment as the ps2 gen 2.
Strike eagle with zero stop 19 MRAD
PST gen 2 elevation 20 MRAD

thanks guys

Reactions: lgbarne
The new SE isn't the old SE... I've got both and the new one is better (feature and quality).
That´s interesting, do you think the difference in quality is because of the age or the model? I haven’t been able to compare them side to side yet but I was thinking that maybe because it’s supposed to be a higher grade scope with the 34mm tube it has better components. I do know that the newest low power SE used to be a 1-6 and now they make it a 1-8. I thought the added mag was the only difference. Are there newer revisions of the 3-18 and 4-24 now?

Hey Guys, I have been comparing the pst gen2 to the strike eagle and have a question. I read earlier in the thread someone saying they don’t like the zero stop on the strike eagle as it eats elevation. Am I correct that even though it eats elevation it still has almost the same overall adjustment as the ps2 gen 2.

thanks guys
run 40moa between rail and mount and you don't need the zero stop and get the full 30mils

thanks guys

Do you mean range of adjustment or zero stop type?

That´s interesting, do you think the difference in quality is because of the age or the model? I haven’t been able to compare them side to side yet but I was thinking that maybe because it’s supposed to be a higher grade scope with the 34mm tube it has better components. I do know that the newest low power SE used to be a 1-6 and now they make it a 1-8. I thought the added mag was the only difference. Are there newer revisions of the 3-18 and 4-24 now?
I have a 4x24 SFP and the new SE is crisper on clicks for elevation and wind age and mine line up better with the indicator. parallax is stiffer on the older model. I have the 4x24 on a 22lr and it works great for what it's intended for but the newer SE seems better... Given the new features on the SE, Im wondering what is coming out for new Gen 3 scopes from Vortex...

Reactions: McCrazy
Anyone have a ring height recommendation for this scope on a 700 short action with a Badger 20MOA rail? Vortex is saying 1.125 for their Vortex/Seekins rings, but seems like that might be bit high.

1” height should work fine. I run 1” on my Razor 56mm objectives on a rifle with those exact parts with M24/40 contour barrels.

looking to put this 5-25x on a RPR, will a 1.43 height mount work on a full rail or do I need the 1.5 height?

Anyone have problems with the turret hash marks lining up? Mine turret hash marks lined up on one side of the turret but but would be completely off on the other. Not just a slight misalignment but right in the middle of 2 hash marks. Are all the SEs like this or did I get a lemon?

Sent my scope back to vortex and they fixed the problem. Turrets index perfectly now.

Reactions: chrome
Comparing range of adjustment.
The strike Eagle has a massive 110 MOA elevation and A more than respectable 78 windage compared to 70 elevation and 35 windage of the pst gen2. Neither are too shabby but the SE takes the cake here