• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Strikefire, Bushnell Trophy, EOTech

tanda10506

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Phelan, CA
So I just built 2 AR 15's, one's an A2 style that is going to be left with iron sights. The other is a flat top upper with a 16" barrel. The 16" is more for my wife. It has flip up sights on it now but she wants an optic. I was originally looking to get an EOTech because I want to be able to rapidly engage. I was talking to some other locals around here with AR's and they asked me if I wanted to get out past 100 yards or so. I said yes and they suggested the Strikefire, the Bushenll Trophy or if I had the money an ACOG. Unfortunately I don't have ACOG money right now. Although rapid engagement is my primary concern, I would like have a 300-350 yard distance. So what do you guys recommend? Right now I'm considering an EOTech with a magnifier or a Vortex Strikefire mainly, but if anybody has info on the Bushnell trophy I'd like to hear what you have to say. Also I hear that the Strikefire has threads on it for a magnifier which will screw right on, if anybody knows anything about that let me know. Thanks

Re: Vortex Strikefire, Bushnell Trophy, EOTech

I don't know about others, I have run my EOtech on a 10.5 inch upper out 300m without any issues....

I have a Strikefire. Good out to about 100 yards for me...but beyond that I'm better with the MagPul BUS...maybe I've got my dot too fat...

My experience...your mileage may vary. Best of luck with your purchase.

There are a lot of new low powered variable scopes out. If I was you I would get one.

Vortex Viper PST 1-4X $500
Weaver Tactical 1-5x $600
Super Sniper 1-4X $800
Sightron 1-7X (the one to get if it comes out) $950

Otherwise I think the weaver or super sniper are the ones to get with the PST being a lower cost alternative.

For shooting out to those distances iron sights are going to be more effective, in my experience, as the dot on most if not all red dots will cover much of the target. They are designed for CQB type shooting and that is what they are good for. For more precise shooting ,as was previously suggested, I would recommend going with a 1-4 variable before I used a red dot and magnifier.It will give you the precision you are looking for and be almost as effective for cqb as a red dot Of course this is just my opinion.

Scott

A CMR or TAC30 with a good cantilever mount (you will need one) will run you about the same as an EOTech.

Thanks for all the info so far. When I refer to getting out around 300 yards with my 16" AR I wasn't talking much about precision, just game/man size targets. It seems like the small scopes would be hard to use for rapid engagement. I'll go to the local shop this weekend and take a look at them though. I don't think I'll be looking at the one's listed above though, as I'm not about to pay $600+ for a 1-4 scope. Maybe I'll look at the Millet DMS or something in that range as I've had great luck with there LRS. I did expect more range from the Strikefire with a magnifier then 100 yards though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For shooting out to those distances iron sights are going to be more effective, in my experience, as the dot on most if not all red dots will cover much of the target. </div></div>

I agree that's why mine is an A2 style, but my wife likes optics on her guns usually.

I've been reviewing the Millet DMS and it seems like most people really like theres. Anybody on here shooting 250-350 yards with them, if so how is it? Also another low magnification small scope that I saw in my range is the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4 . Any opinions on that?