• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Venom Range Report???

BigJohn141

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
Timnath, Co
I’m looking for an inexpensive optic to mount on a rifle I’m building until the new offerings from Burris hit the shelves. After that it will be going between my LR ar15 or my rpr 22lr. I like that it’s a 34mm tube and 56mm objective so I can go ahead and pick up the M-brace for it, if the bottom screw clears, or a decent set of rings. I’ve thought about getting a strike eagle if I come across the right deal but leaning towards a pre owned venom in the $400 range. I would like to hear from current Venom owners that have been using the scope for a while now. Someone that can give some insight on real world pros and cons and how it’s holding up after being used for a while. I know the glass is not as good as a PST gen 2 or similar, I’m currently running an old midway special viper HS 5-15x44 and it’s good enough glass for my needs. It will just be on the new rifle for barrel break in and load development.

Never looked through a Venom, but I do have a new Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C scope, and it's a pretty nice optic. If you have the cash to go that route, IMO, it would be better money spent over the Venom, just based on the extra features the Strike Eagle has. 👍🏼

But if you're wanting to stay in the lower budget range, here's another good option for you if you haven't looked into them... I have 3 of them...They're pretty good optics for the money.

I have the Venom and like it a good bit. If you do not need illumination, Venom is a really good choice. It is pretty easy to get behind and since the turrets do not lock, they have very nice feel for the price.
The one I have tracks like a champ. Strike Eagle has wider FOV, but the eyepiece is more sensitive to eye position than Venom. It sorta comes down to how much adjustment range you need. If Venom's adjustment range is enough for you, I'd lean that way. If you need more, Strike Eagle might be a better option.

ILya

I have the Venom and like it a good bit. If you do not need illumination, Venom is a really good choice. It is pretty easy to get behind and since the turrets do not lock, they have very nice feel for the price.
The one I have tracks like a champ. Strike Eagle has wider FOV, but the eyepiece is more sensitive to eye position than Venom. It sorta comes down to how much adjustment range you need. If Venom's adjustment range is enough for you, I'd lean that way. If you need more, Strike Eagle might be a better option.

ILya
This is exactly what I’m looking for. Good to know the tracking is on and I would take a better eye box any day of the week. I don’t need a ton of adjustment as it won’t be stretching it out past 800ish on the ar. If I do, I’ll just hold over if I need more.

This is exactly what I’m looking for. Good to know the tracking is on and I would take a better eye box any day of the week. I don’t need a ton of adjustment as it won’t be stretching it out past 800ish on the ar. If I do, I’ll just hold over if I need more.

Tracking is spot on on the one I have, i.e. sample of one. That having been said, I talk to a lot of people and I have not heard of any tracking issues with these.

ILya

Reactions: Gohring65
I have a Strike Eagle and a Venom. I really like the Venom - it is mounted on my Bergara B14R that I used for PRS rimfire. I practice with it a lot and shot multiple matches with it - no issues. Hard to beat for the money. I just got an Arken EP5 and that appears to be an awesome low price point scope also - just mounted and taking it to range ASAP.

Reactions: FuhQ
What's the main difference between the Venom and Strike Eagle? Is it just illumination?

What's the main difference between the Venom and Strike Eagle? Is it just illumination?
@Rob01 Want to take this one?

More than that... The SE has locking turrets, illumination, better glass, different tube, different turrets (i'm guessing different erector sets as well), and maybe some other things. Rob will have to tell you in better/more accurate detail.

Pretty much covers it. The SE has more elevation also at 32 mils vs 25 mils in the Venom but both have a good amount for .22. The turrets are different with the SE locking but they use the same style zero stop. The SE is the better of the two but also costs about $200 more on the street.

Here is a pic of them side by side. The SE is on left in my hand and the venom is on the rifle.

IMG_1635.jpg

SE also has a considerably wider FOV which I personally think makes a big difference for competition use.

My experience with mine mirrors @koshkin. Easy to get behind and tracks perfect. No issues.

I came across a pretty dang good deal on a NIB Strike Eagle so I jumped on it. I will have it on my long range rifle unit my other scope arrives. After that it will find a home on the AR or RPR 22 for practice. After shooting at the indoor range, I decided I would benefit from the illumination and the extra travel won’t hurt on the 22.