• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 Mil-Dot

Re: Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 Mil-Dot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mobius38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a stupid question (I am full of them these days) Is it FFP or SFP? Also will midway charge you at time of order or when it is shipped? </div></div>

SFP, reticle is subtended @ 15x

I believe Midway won't charge a backorder until it ships.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mobius38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a stupid question (I am full of them these days) Is it FFP or SFP? Also will midway charge you at time of order or when it is shipped?</div></div>

It's second focal plane.

Anyone know if one wanted to use TPS rings with this scope (and a 0' TPS base), whether the Low or Super Low rings would work? Thanks!

I'm using the TPS super low rings on mine with a Murphy Precision 20 MOA base with plenty of clearence. You should have even a little more clearence with a 0 MOA base.

mws2000, thanks for the info.! This will be mounted on my new .223 700 SPS Tac. Super Lows on the way!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

FYI...Just got an email from MidwayUSA today, and they've got more of the Vortex HS 5-15x44 scopes in! Mine should be shipped this afternoon according to the nice lady.

As of 1:54pm ET, they've got at least 200 of these in stock...and the AR151135 code is good for $35 off.

Gave them a call and tried that code, and they said it wasn't valid. Oh well, thanks for giving it a shot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ilmonster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gave them a call and tried that code, and they said it wasn't valid. Oh well, thanks for giving it a shot! </div></div>

I used that code on their website when I put $100k worth of scopes into my cart earlier this afternoon, and it gave me $35 off...
sleep.gif

Thanks for the heads-up, hopefully put some dibs down on this bunch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ilmonster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gave them a call and tried that code, and they said it wasn't valid. Oh well, thanks for giving it a shot! </div></div>

I used that code on their website when I put $100k worth of scopes into my cart earlier this afternoon, and it gave me $35 off...
sleep.gif
</div></div>

Seems to me that if you have the scratch for $100,000.00 worth of scopes, $35.00 probably doesn't seem like much
grin.gif

I really want/need a throw lever or switchview lever for this scope....anybody found the right one yet??

Thanks!

Just ordered mine.. Mounting it on Remington 700 22-250. It shot like a laser with a cheap Cabela's brand scope. Hope this makes it even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really want/need a throw lever or switchview lever for this scope....anybody found the right one yet??

Thanks!</div></div>

If you go back a page, there's a fellow using a "breakaway coaster" as a cattail. I vaguely recall someone saying the Vortex Razor switchview would work, but I could be wrong. Might wanna do some research on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really want/need a throw lever or switchview lever for this scope....anybody found the right one yet??

Thanks!</div></div>

If you go back a page, there's a fellow using a "breakaway coaster" as a cattail. I vaguely recall someone saying the Vortex Razor switchview would work, but I could be wrong. Might wanna do some research on that.</div></div>

Thanks...I saw your post from 8/13/12, but it doesn't look as if there's a dedicated throw lever for this scope.

That Breakaway zip strip, looks kinda flimsy, but who knows...it may work the best.

The search continues..........

DAMN IT!!!!!! Now I was planning on getting a SS 10x. Now I just read this ENTIRE fucking thread and now I am wanting one of these. BUT I think I'll wait for them to go on sale again soon (I hope). I was really really set on a SS. But this scope seems to have a lot of features. My big thing is the tracking and repeat to zero. If it goes to crap there's the lifetime warranty.

So I might just get a SS now and get the Vortex when it goes on sale again (SOON AS IN YESTERDAY OR NOW). SS would be a good back up if I had to send the Vortex out.

But I'm very glad I stumbled onto this thread.

Just talked to Vortex about a throw lever. They said they are in the process of getting them up on the website. SV-2 is the sku

I placed my order as soon as the backorder was available got an email today saying it will be here Tuesday. @ grasshopper its my understanding that when this batch is sold there will be no more so I doubt there will be another sale on them.

For those of you with a Curio and relic dealer discount is the price showing as 399?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just talked to Vortex about a throw lever. They said they are in the process of getting them up on the website. SV-2 is the sku</div></div>

Nice job, sir!!

Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you with a Curio and relic dealer discount is the price showing as 399? </div></div>

Nope. Hasn't been that price for C&R/DLR accounts since it was originally released. C&R/DLR accounts have it at $499 and can't use any coupons.

I just ordered one, total came to 464.99 shipped. Its replacing an IOR 2.5-10x42. I know its a downgrade in glass quality, but my eyes aren't getting any better, and the eyebox on the IOR sucks. I have been looking for a smokin' deal for a reason to replace it, and this fit the bill. Gives me an excuse to play with Mil/Mil, anyway.

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake. My biggest concern is giving up the MP8 reticle for standard Mil Dots, which I have never used.

Just ordering one as well should be here wednesday! finally replaces an old Bushnell banner on the 270.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just talked to Vortex about a throw lever. They said they are in the process of getting them up on the website. SV-2 is the sku</div></div>

Nice job, sir!!

Thanks for the info.</div></div>

Here it is - http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-switchview-throw-lever-sv-2

I just ordered one and used the $35 off code. It worked fine for me. Total came to $464.99 shipped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just talked to Vortex about a throw lever. They said they are in the process of getting them up on the website. SV-2 is the sku</div></div>

Nice job, sir!!

Thanks for the info.</div></div>

Here it is - http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-switchview-throw-lever-sv-2 </div></div>

Thanks. Throw lever on the way.

Come on Midway, All of your exclusive scope are always on sale. Let's see this @ 399.99 again. I'll buy two.

As the person who started this thread almost a year ago I ask this on behalf of the hiders...it would be good Christmas spirit.

Got mine delivered today! Will have to dig into it in the next day or two (TPS rings to be delivered on Tuesday). Nicely packaged, with a useful owners manual. Will post pics when I get it mounted up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you with a Curio and relic dealer discount is the price showing as 399? </div></div>

Negative. $499.99 is the current dealer price.

ordered on friday and the estimated delivery date is the 10th
frown.gif
i hope that is a typo and it gets here much sooner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 04z71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ordered on friday and the estimated delivery date is the 10th
frown.gif
i hope that is a typo and it gets here much sooner. </div></div>

You picked UPS SurePost, didn't you?
frown.gif

That I couldn't tell you. I know it's coming ups and the estimated delivery was suppose to be the 5th but when I reviewed the email that it was shipped it said the 10th.

Just got mine about an hour ago. Really excited about this scope. From handling it, it looks solidly built. Very distinct and audible clicks on turrets. Glass looks pretty good, but I haven't had it outside yet. Feels really solid.

When this scope came out it was 399.99 @ Midway, I just called and tried to get a sale price honored since they sold out before I got mine then went from back-order to seasonal. They said no way.

They have 277 of them in stock, if they're slow to sell they'll go back to 399.99 for January I bet.

I'll wait.

I paid 475ish for mine, got it in Wednesday. For the price I paid, I am very impressed. 399 would have been a damn steal.

Took mine out yesterday after mounting it onto my new 700 SPS Tac, and it is a super scope! Only problem/annoyance I had is the variable power ring is so stiff to turn I actually rotated the scope about fifteen degrees in the rings. Will have to work the power ring manually to loosen it up (hopefully) before mounting it up again, and torque the rings down to max recommended in/lbs.

The power ring on mine is very easy to turn. So much so that I dont think I am going to order a lever, like I had planned.

damn. I was pretty set on an SS HD 16x, but this may change my mind. Looks pretty perfect for a 100-600 yard .223 scope. I do love a fantastic warranty..that alone might be worth the extra $100 over the SS (not that SWFA doesnt have good customer service, but im pretty blown away by Vortex).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdc0589</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn. I was pretty set on an SS HD 16x, but this may change my mind. Looks pretty perfect for a 100-600 yard .223 scope. I do love a fantastic warranty..that alone might be worth the extra $100 over the SS (not that SWFA doesnt have good customer service, but im pretty blown away by Vortex). </div></div>

I have the 16 ss and the vortex, I would rather have the vortex for the ranges you speak of

I have a few vortex scopes. They are great for the price. Better then the foxed scopes any day IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdc0589</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn. I was pretty set on an SS HD 16x, but this may change my mind. Looks pretty perfect for a 100-600 yard .223 scope. I do love a fantastic warranty..that alone might be worth the extra $100 over the SS (not that SWFA doesnt have good customer service, but im pretty blown away by Vortex). </div></div>

I have the 16 ss and the vortex, I would rather have the vortex for the ranges you speak of </div></div>

Thats the way im leaning, though more than I intended to spend...oh well. In regard to clarity and brightness, how do they compare (vortex at max magnification)? Also, I had heard that the vortex reticle crosshairs were thinner than those in the SS, can you confirm this?

The glass on the SS seems picky to me... its strange. almost like it catches reflections sometimes, and the eye box is very small. But if you set your gun up with a SOLID cheek weld that is repeatable its ok

I like the SS I have, it works well for what I use it for. (.22lr competition gun)

But If I had to have one of the 2, It would be the vortex we are talking about. Glass seems just as good or better because its easier to get behind, and fixed X can be a pain in the ass. If the vortex focused down to 25 yards I would have one on my .22 also.

The SS is on my .22 and the 5-15x44 is on my .308

Vortex
+1 variable magnification
+2 Zero stop
+3 Better in low light
+4 More forgiving eye box

SS 16 MQ
+1 parallax goes down below 25 yards

all this is just my opinion. So take it or leave it. Hope it helps you in some way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all this is just my opinion. So take it or leave it. Hope it helps you in some way</div></div>

It does. I can live with most of what the SS lacks in comparison to the vortex, but the eyebox (which I did not know) is the tipping point. Vortex it is.

My birthday was on Tuesday and Midway gave me birthday pricing.
This scope was 424.99 with free shipping.
I passed.

Ordered a second one of these scopes...fairly happy with the first one. Not that I needed to spend the money!