• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PA - vs - HS Scope Which to Purchase

busycloud

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2013
Hello, I'm currently finishing up my first riffle build. All I need now is a scope (and rings + base) to complete the build.

The scope that I originally planned on purchasing is the > Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA Scope

Just this week I see the > Vortex Viper 6-24x50 HS Scope go on sale.

I'm looking for feedback on which you think I should purchase.

Here are some specs on my background:

- I'm a new shooter looking to get into regular range visits and long range shooting

- I own a Remington 700 mounted in an AICS chassis

- I'm currently on a budget, looking for best bang for buck (max I can spend: $440)

- Distances that I will be commonly shooting at: 100 - 600 yards. (more toward the lower end of the scale)

Thanks for your help on this!!

Rem-AICS-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm typically a strong proponent of more magnification, but the useful difference between 20x or 24x isn't significant. A factor to keep in mind is that the Viper 6.5-20x44 has 65MOA elevation travel while the Viper HS 6-24x50 only has 50MOA elevation.

I'm typically a strong proponent of more magnification, but the useful difference between 20x or 24x isn't significant. A factor to keep in mind is that the Viper 6.5-20x44 has 65MOA elevation travel while the Viper HS 6-24x50 only has 50MOA elevation.

So in your opinion would you suggest going with the Viper 6.5-20x44 ?

I wouldn't buy a scope with a v-plex reticle as listed on the 6-24x. The 6.5-20 is listed with a mil-dot reticle. Get something with a reticle you can measure impacts from the target, so you can dial corrections.

Imo with max distance of 600 yards and max budget of $440. I would consider a falcon menace/primary arms/bsa midway exclusive 4-14x44 ffp mil/mil. You will have more than enough magnification at 600 yards. Its a first focal plane scope( the reticle/ruler will measure accurate at all magnification) compared to the one you listed which are second focal plane (which will require you to convert some math if you ever plan on changing the magnification. Since your a new shooter it can be a pain). The glass is pretty good for its price point.

I recently purchased the bsa model (of the three i mentioned they share the same scope body). Overall first impression seems to be good. I like the reticle compared to the primary arms. Haven't shot with it yet as I'm waiting for scope rings and base.

Sure the vortex is a better "quality" but, you will probally end up upgrading later down the line. While you may recover your money selling it later. Most people have moved on to first focal plane scopes. With the ones i mentioned except the falcon menace you won't be out that much and can be moved to a lesser recoiling rifle (I'm assuming your rifle is .308).

The bsa midway exclusive cost $250 includes sun shade, the primary arms cost $230 without the sunshade(extra$20 for that), and the falcon menace cost $400 or so. If your set on the vortex id take the pa over the hs for the extra elevation adjustments.

Imo with max distance of 600 yards and max budget of $440. I would consider a falcon menace/primary arms/bsa midway exclusive 4-14x44 ffp mil/mil. You will have more than enough magnification at 600 yards. Its a first focal plane scope( the reticle/ruler will measure accurate at all magnification) compared to the one you listed which are second focal plane (which will require you to convert some math if you ever plan on changing the magnification. Since your a new shooter it can be a pain). The glass is pretty good for its price point.

I recently purchased the bsa model (of the three i mentioned they share the same scope body). Overall first impression seems to be good. I like the reticle compared to the primary arms. Haven't shot with it yet as I'm waiting for scope rings and base.

Sure the vortex is a better "quality" but, you will probally end up upgrading later down the line. While you may recover your money selling it later. Most people have moved on to first focal plane scopes. With the ones i mentioned except the falcon menace you won't be out that much and can be moved to a lesser recoiling rifle (I'm assuming your rifle is .308).

The bsa midway exclusive cost $250 includes sun shade, the primary arms cost $230 without the sunshade(extra$20 for that), and the falcon menace cost $400 or so. If your set on the vortex id take the pa over the hs for the extra elevation adjustments.

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions! After reviewing what you suggested I'm taking a long look at the Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP scope. That could be a good quality introductory scope for me.

Yeah my riffle is a .308, will the scope hold up to the recoil?

I can't really say if they will hold up to a .308, I'm putting mine on a 300wsm. I do not know the long term usage of these scopes and how reliable they will be in the long run. You can't really compare them to the high end optics out there. But at the price point i knew what I'm getting myself into. Don't know about primary arms as I have the bsa midway exclusive. What i do know is I have a limited lifetime warranty. If it craps out ill return it and take the replacement and put it on a 22lr or .223 or something of the like. While I have read reviews on this site and others, it seems like a pretty good option for me as a new shooter also. Most of the reviews I've read seem to be intial testing but not longevity. And also quite a few have put them on .308 bolt guns/. 308 ar. Its a "risk" some will say, that I'm willing to take. And if it isn't good down the road I'll add my review of it in another thread.

This forum most people have the stigma of buy once, cry once. And that's fine but i dont have the disposable cash to go buy $1500+ scopes. Especially for my purposes. I'm limited to 200 yards and the occasional trip to pa for 1000 yards(private land)

Most here are the tactical crowd and they run their gear hard. If your just taking it to the range to practice the fundamentals and not banging it around, it should be a good entry scope to hold you over till you can upgrade later. I do have my eye on a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ffp later down the line. Just got to convince the old lady I'm investing and saving in the long run while she keeps asking when is the long run coming....

If you could save a couple hundred more on top of your max budget, you will have better quality scopes available. Camerland usually has demo versions of the vortex viper pst 4-16x50 ffp mil/mil or moa/moa for around $650 which are open box new scopes if memory serves correct that may be a better option. Lifetime warranty that transfers to the next guy. Just my $0.02

Edit: i forgot to add, since you have an aics stock you may get some strange laughs or funny looks with a cheapo scope on top. Not that it matters.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head, thanks for the solid feedback!

I think I'm going to try and be patient and save some cash for a decent $600 range scope. I've come this far with my build, I will just have to wait a bit longer to complete it right.

Thanks again.

So in your opinion would you suggest going with the Viper 6.5-20x44 ?

Yes, because it allows for more elevation adjustment and can be purchased with a BDC reticule with wind hashes. A basic V-plex is very limited.

I'd still take any of the Viper models over a BSA or Premier Arms. If you do pass on these closeout models and save up more cash the Viper HS-T are solid choices as are the PST's and HS XLR models for FFP versions. Either Cameralnd NY or Scott at Liberty Optics will be your best places to pick up anything Vortex, and both are Hide Sponsors IIRC.