• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper Second Focal Plane

local4fitter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2013
I'm looking at the Viper pst 4-16 Second focal plane scope to put on a Savage Model 10 fcp-k. Does anybody use this scope? If so what magnification matches the reticle for ranging. Can you tell me how you like the scope. Could this be a 800 yard scope? Any info would be appreciated. I'm new to this. Thanks Doug

Ive got one on an MWS. 16x for ranging. At 600 yards and 16x I felt it was pretty decent. Much further than that I PERSONALLY would want more. I have a 6-24x on a Rem700 because I will probably stretch that gun to ~1000 and wanted the added magnification. You can always turn it down from max, you can never turn it up beyond max. The 6-24x is also known to be slightly better visually than the 6-24x, although between the two I own I cant tell much difference although I havent shot them side by side.

i have the 4-16 on my 18 308 gasser, and it gets to 800 with no cant and 178's.

had it on a 20" 223 ar for prairie dogs and connected at 930 on one, and 800+ on a bunch of others. but the 6-24 has noticeably better glass.

The SFP model has detents at 8x and 5.3x, so you can use the ranging scale at 16x (at 1:1), at 8x (2 units in real life : 1 unit in the reticle), 5.3x (3:1) and 4x (4:1). Nice feature that more SFP scopes should have. I think it would be an OK scope out to 800 yards for more typical sized targets (not prairie dogs) but not much farther.