• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper Second Focal Plane

local4fitter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2013
I'm looking at the Viper pst 4-16 Second focal plane scope to put on a Savage Model 10 fcp-k. Does anybody use this scope? If so what magnification matches the reticle for ranging. Can you tell me how you like the scope. Could this be a 800 yard scope? Any info would be appreciated. I'm new to this. Thanks Doug

Ive got one on an MWS. 16x for ranging. At 600 yards and 16x I felt it was pretty decent. Much further than that I PERSONALLY would want more. I have a 6-24x on a Rem700 because I will probably stretch that gun to ~1000 and wanted the added magnification. You can always turn it down from max, you can never turn it up beyond max. The 6-24x is also known to be slightly better visually than the 6-24x, although between the two I own I cant tell much difference although I havent shot them side by side.

i have the 4-16 on my 18 308 gasser, and it gets to 800 with no cant and 178's.

had it on a 20" 223 ar for prairie dogs and connected at 930 on one, and 800+ on a bunch of others. but the 6-24 has noticeably better glass.

The SFP model has detents at 8x and 5.3x, so you can use the ranging scale at 16x (at 1:1), at 8x (2 units in real life : 1 unit in the reticle), 5.3x (3:1) and 4x (4:1). Nice feature that more SFP scopes should have. I think it would be an OK scope out to 800 yards for more typical sized targets (not prairie dogs) but not much farther.