• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Vs .....

zeping

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
NSW Australia
Hey guys just wanted to know people personal opinion ive been shooting out to 600m-800m but the scope ive got is already stuggling at that distance

Im looking at upgrading max spending at about $1,000 im quite intrested in the vortex PST but have also heard good things about the sightrons siii and the zeiss conquest

Any advise would be great!

I did a search but there doesnt seem to be threads that compare?

Thanks

Re: Vortex Vs .....

Save just allllllittle more and take a ride on the Nightforce train
smile.gif
the 5-22X can be picked up on here used all day for 13-1600ish.. You wont regret it

You can also find Leupold Mark IV LR/T 6.5-20X50 or something to that effect used for less then $1k quite easily as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDgunslinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also find Leupold Mark IV LR/T 6.5-20X50 or something to that effect used for less then $1k quite easily as well. </div></div>

what does that scope offer that the 6-24 vortex does not? if you compare the sfp vortex to the sfp leupold there will be about 500 dollars diffrence and you get a scope with less features and a narrowier zoom range

My Vortex PST just arrived thanks to Mr Fedex. Its a nice scope, even with storm clouds darkening the daylight sky it seems to be very bright. As other have stated the turrets have a good feel. I like the way the illumination knob is set up, any setting between the numbers turn it off. So theres no turning the illumination knob all the way on and then opposite to turn it back off. I had ordered the Vortex Viper in 6-24x44 originally and returned it, I think it was a good choice. The Viper scopes seem to be popular on some of the forums.

I see another person recommend a used NF, I would have done the same but I just couldn't afford to spend any more money because of my personal situation.

Vortex Vipers PST is a good choice for what you're looking in that price range...But for a little more I would also look at the Bushnell Tactical Elite Line with the HD lense..They also offer several Very Thought After Reticle Choice like the Horus and G2DMRs with FFP and a wide Maginification Range...also, that deal with SWFA listed above, if it really Happens then it is a Fantastic Deal for the HDs...Although it's for the None Illuminated version, but then again, How Often Really do you need the Illuminated Reticles...for me...it's less than 5% of the time I'm shooting...although can't say the same for other people here...Just my 2 cents though...Good Luck bro, just check around and do somemore search...One of these Scopes will jump out at you when the time comes!

Its a nice scope, even with storm clouds darkening the daylight sky it seems to be very bright. As other have stated the turrets have a good feel.
g.gif

Yeaha went with the night force found a bench rest 8x - 32x x56 for $1300 lets see if i can get it for $1,100

But is it to much for 800m ?

I had a PST and traded it in for an IOR Valdada Fixed 16x. The downsides to this scope are:
1. It's a fixed 16x. No good if your going to hunt or do tactical stuff.
2. Turrets don't match. MP-8 reticle is mil and adjustments are in 1/4 inches.
3. No illumination if that's important. I would never use it anyway.
On the plus side it's about the best glass in the world for $800 at Liberty Optics. If it had those other features it would be at least $1500. It doesn't have the features of a NF, but if you don't need them it's cheaper and the glass is better. Mine is VERY well made. Turrets are even better then my PST. The tube is steel, but I like that.

What kind of scope do you have? Why is it "struggling"? What will you be using the scope for? I have a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50, FFP, mil/mil,EBR-1 ret. (you can get it at SWFA for $900) and am fully stoked on it. For my money it has and does everything I need it to do and it does it without breaking a sweat. It's not the best glass but it is excellent glass. I am utterly infatuated with the reticle, I know other shooters that have more expensive scopes who wish they had the EBR-1 ret....numbers, such a simple thing but so helpful when you are holding off, multiple yardages, moving targets. Breathtaking repeatability, <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> a zero-stop <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> illumination. Other scopes do the same thing...for more money or they almost do the same thing...for the same money but not quite as thoroughly thought out. Did I mention Vortex's vaunted lifetime warranty? Slam...as they say, dunk.

I had a 4-16x50 PST SFP MRAD. The only reason I went to an IOR was the glass. It wasn't bad, just not great. Everything else about the PST was really good for the money. The reticle was fantastic. In SFP it has a nice thin reticle that is great for longer shots. For what I do the IOR Valdada 16x is better because of the glass. If I was shooting tactical or hunting it would be different. The Sightron siii has good glass. It is between the PST and the IOR in glass quality.

PST > Bushnell

I have a 6-24 SFP in which I love and have used out to 1000 with no issues.

Honestly, I understand the demand for these PSTs. I wish I had more of them.

Stupidly sold my MOA 6-24 PSt to buy one of the new HDMRs, and then sold the HDMR to go back to Mil PST. Im staying put.

My scopes: (2) S%B 5-25x56s, (1) USO 5-25x58, (1) Vortex 6-24x50 PST . I got no complaints. IMO for the price they are unbeatable right now. Dont forget about their CS and warranty either.

Ive got a PST Viper 4-16x50 with the EBR-1 mrad reticle FFP. Im very pleased with the scope tons of features and great glass for a scope that costs under $1,000. Now on the flip side its not nearly as nice of glass as my Premier Heritage 5-25 but its also a third the price and having $3k scopes on every gun isnt exactly within my budget. I just switched to Mil scopes but just prior to purchasing this PST with the MRAD reticle I had the exact same one in MOA and it did excellent out to 700 yards. So when it comes right down to it I would highly reccomend the Viper PST FFP I think it would serve you quite well besides it being a great scope the warranty is unbeatable.

We have two PST 4-16 and overall they are really hard to beat for the money. Excellent glass and very reliable with perfect tracking and returning to zero and anywhere in between. Now for the two things I don't like about it, even with a couple returns paint flecks still occasionally float around but they don't hurt anything other than being annoying when they do happen to land near the center of the crosshair. Second is I really wish it had a thinner crosshair, it's just thick enough to cover an 8" circle at 1000 yards. The 6-24PST might be better for seeing the smaller targets at 1000 yards but it also has 10moa less verticle adjustment than the 6-14 PST, something to be aware of.

We also bought one of the SWFA SS 5-20 illuminated in the last group buy and I'm planning on getting the non-illuminated version in this next buy. With a 200 yard zero and a 30moa base it'll shoot to 1000 yards in under one revolution of the turret. We're VERY happy with this scope on one of our Savage 260s and have no negative comments at all. Well, I'd like to see a reticle similiar to the one in our Vortex Viper PST but for the money I'd recommend waiting for the next SWFA SS 5-20 and getting it over the 4-16 PST.

Topstrap

Some of you guys have some very nice scopes. Anyone who owns a S&B, Premier, USO, etc also have a IOR Valdada to compare to it in terms of the glass? I've heard they are close, but I may never have one to compare myself since they cost about the same as my car.

Well in my case the scope i got was a shitty $150 thing its called a nikko stirling

i have perfect vision but this scope when you turn up the magnification just turn blurry couldnt make out the target effectivly

Hopefully the nightforce deal pulls thru but if not then vortex here i come!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeping</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well in my case the scope i got was a shitty $150 thing its called a nikko stirling

i have perfect vision but this scope when you turn up the magnification just turn blurry couldnt make out the target effectivly

Hopefully the nightforce deal pulls thru but if not then vortex here i come! </div></div>I had a Crossfire 8-32x56. I couldn't seem to find any lite at 32x. I would move my head around for minutes trying to see something, anything, much to the amusement of those around me who had scopes that were not made in China. It was just like looking in a hole, nothing! It was on one those H&R break open single shots in 22-250. Mine was special because when I would shoot it the rifle would open up and blow hot air in my face. That was a great setup for making people around me laugh. No more cheap stuff for me. If it doesn't work good it ain't worth having.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDgunslinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also find Leupold Mark IV LR/T 6.5-20X50 or something to that effect used for less then $1k quite easily as well.</div></div>

You could def. find a lightly used Leupold or even a Nightforce from 800-1300ish...but you won't regret it.