• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vote, Muzzle device on your rifle

Re: Vote, Muzzle device on your rifle

for my 223, 308 and 30-06 no, yes for 300WM. I'm not a big guy but after some recoil management coaching I watch my 308 rounds splatter on steel plates at 200 and 300 yards without a brake.

I have an AW with the standard 1chamber brake, the other 2 precision rifles don't have a brake. I think the AW brake works reasonably well and it doesn't have an offensive sound or blast signature.

I voted no because my primary weapon system, a 308, does not...though my 338 does, and my 284 in the works will. I suspect I'll run the 284 sans brake most of the time. They sure are obnoxious.

Don't have one, but would like one. Preferrably one that's easy to put on and take off, like how some suppressors attach to a flash hider.

I would like to have a few suppressors, but alas, no dice. And right now I don't have a lot of need for a brake.

Roedale brake on a .308 SPS Tac to reduce muzzle jump.

BO FTE on a 300 WM Sendero SF II also reduced muzzle jump.

Aron-

.338 LM is wearing a Fat Bastard 6.5 had a Vias. Everything else not wearing anything. I don't have any on my hunting weight rifles. Though I might eventually put on the .325wsm.

Frank, please add some clarification on "muzzle device". There is a huge difference between brakes and suppressors but both could fall under your heading. Since most of the responses seem to be geared toward the brake users, I will throw my two cents in.

The trend is obvious that many are moving to brakes on even the small caliber rifles. At the recent Fall Bash in south Texas, I would guess 75 percent of the shooters were running brakes. The other 25% was split between naked barrels and suppressors.

It was kind of amusing to see several shooters close together when all were running brakes. You could see the shooters to each side of a brake being moved by the blast and their visibility down to 10% after the first shots.

On the events that required several competitors on the line at once, I personally had a brake shooter to each side. Not a lot of fun and definitely had an affect on my shooting. My best shooting was when I could time my observation and shooting between their shots. One event required 3 shooters at a time to move to a large concrete culvert and simultaniously engage their assigned mover with a total of 10 rounds. After skanking my 4th round because of the blast from fellow shooters, I unloaded and stood up for the remainder of the stage. I just couldn't hang. BTW, both of my fellow shooters that were running brakes to my immediate right and left are great guys and it was a pleasure to be in your squad. My comments here are not meant to be personal or negative to you.

Interestingly, the trend is that more of the top shooters were shooting naked barrels or suppressed. I can assure you that some of the fastest rapids were shot with these rifles. Most (not all) of the brake shooters that did well were fortunate to not have competitor's brakes flanking them.

While brakes obviously decrease recoil, they do have certain penalties even when shooting alone. Many have the belief that when you're driving a rifle package that weighs 14-15 pounds or more with modern stock designs, you can run it very very efficiently without the negative effects of a brake.

I had SWAT from one agency contact me about barrel work/replacement on their 8 rifles. Seems all eight were recently "upgraded" with name brand brakes. Their team leaders attended SHOT and had also been sold on the idea by a big name rifle smith. First training cycle with the newly modified rifles had everyone bitching. Setting up in a concealed position or proximate to a wall or AC unit proved abusive. Concussion and blast on the shooter was really bad due to the brake's exhaust being redirected from the adjacent structures.

If they were lucky enough to train with a spotter, the spotter could not observe results of the shot due to the blast and their FOV being being clouded by the brake exhaust at the moment of the shot. Their rifles will be coming in here in rotations of 2 at a time to have the brakes removed and a flash hider installed if the threads are applicable.

This is exactly why I religiously preach against brakes on bolt guns and entry weapons destined for duty use.

I am obvioulsy in the minority on this by about 800% but will hold my ground until convinced otherwise. The is a ton of money to be made by manufacturing and installing brakes so the marketing will certainly continue to drive this trend. Besides, they do look cool.

I agree 100% with all of the thoughts expressed above by Mr. Cross. I hate having to lay down on a line and get blasted by a brake all day. Also, I view a brake as just another variable in the system that can cause problems.

Rather than quoting Terry Cross, let me say that his analysis is spot on. There is nothing more disconcerting and painful than shooting a long shot string next to a shooter with a braked rifle.

Although I do not have the long experience in tactical shooting that Terry has, my experience in a 2 day Precision rifle course, several years ago, illustrated my long standing aversion to braked rifles.

I was partnered with fine young gentleman shooting a braked AIAW in 300 win Mag. Over the course of the two day class, he fired over 250 rounds, all with me as spotter.

It was brutal and painful experience and took much of pleasure out of concepts being taught. In retrospect it was not something I would willingly do again.

Braking my own rifle, as a sort of defense, has crossed my mind more than once, but subject someone else to punishment as a form of retaliation, is a childish exercise.

Thanks Terry for making it clear the effects brakes have on your fellow shooters.

Bob

Personally I wish brakes would be regulated by BATF. I think everyone should have a suppressed rifle
smile.gif

I have a brake on my 308. The 260 I am building will have one as well, probably doesn't need it but oh well.

Since the conversation has moved in that direction, I will throw this in with everyone else's take on brakes. I recently shot a competition with a braked rifle immediately adjacent to my spot on the line. Though I'm slowly progressing as a shooter, and turned in my best score yet, I ganked several rounds on the first string because the brake next to me was inducing a flinch.

I kept my big boy hat on though and worked hard to tune it out, but to say it doesn't affect people shooting around you isn't true. Suppressed shooters seem to get the same benefit of reduced muzzle movement and recoil, but they are a joy to shoot next to.

Tax money comes in, I'm buying a suppressor, not a brake.

Rich

Edited to add - I would not refuse to compete in a match that allows brakes. I might try to move down the line or squad up separately but if it came down to, "Get on the line next to a brake or go home," I'll be on the line with ear buds and over ear muffs.

Naked and Suppressed. NO BRAKES.

I have a Tromix Shark on my 308 bolt gun. The blast isn't as bad as some brakes out there and it doesn't kick up any dust. A 308 really doesn't need one but I think mine looks cool and it's also my last line of defense if I'm out of ammo and need to impale a zombie
smile.gif

IMG_20111119_154142.jpg

Naked for now, but plan on a suppressor when I get the money. Still not sure about direct thread on or thread over brake..

I run a brake on my competition rifles. I am aware that it is rough on those around me, but the ting is that the majority of those around me are running brakes as well. At the Bash last week, I shot right next to a braked 7WSM and a braked 260. It was loud, but not unmanageable for me, mostly because I am used to having brakes around me I guess. I have a suppressor, and I am not willing to run it in a match again.

Only because of cans, I voted yes. Surefire brakes and F/H's on most everything I run. I don't run a brake just for the sake of running a brake, not to say running a brake is good or bad.

Cheers,
Jim

Naked 6.5 Creed at 22" and would'nt ruin it with a brake. Quick running shot on a deer two days ago and blast was hardly noticeable.
Yearnin for a flash hider and suppressor...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry it is supposed to mean both

Either a Brake Flash Hider, or a suppressor ... versus a naked barrel. </div></div>

Well now that changes things, cause all my rifles are threaded for my suppressor.

No. Made the decision to learn to manage recoil first and foremost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. Made the decision to learn to manage recoil first and foremost. </div></div>

This is a good point.

With the help of the online training, I can now spot my own shots with my 308 @ 100 yards. Used to be I couldn't spot my own at 600.

On my 338LM yes, APA Fat Bastard. Waiting on the fine people over at the ATF to finish up the approval on the can and then will likely shoot almost exclusively suppressed.

If i had the money to get a suppressor, I would. It is on the to-get list. I have shot next to braked rifles and it is not fun...As well my comp rifle is also my hunting rifle, so the noise of a brake on that rifle is something that I am not willing to endure. Just wish that the Gov. wasn't involved in getting the suppressor.

I went from an APA Fat bastard to a suppressor and saw almost no reduction in recoil. A testament to the APA FB.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">65% of you have some type of muzzle device, that number seems to be pretty solid. </div></div>

Not surprising. Hind sight being 20/20 and all, it would have been interesting to have had a separate choice for suppressors. A lot of people might have said yes to a brake when they actually have a suppressor, but then some with a suppressor might not have voted at all since it wasn't a specific choice.

very interesting Frank, I wouldnt have guessed such a high percentage

I have brakes on all my rifles (compensators on a couple pistols too). Does piss off the neighbors though..

I dont have one on my 6.5x47 but its about 19 lbs. I can watch my impact, I just dont want to be the guy that I always end up by on the firing line. Ya you know him the one with the .284 and a break........ Not a can. yep the one that blows the earplugs right out of your ears..
smile.gif

It wasn't long ago that brakes were taboo around here, especially on a .308. Funny how things change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It wasn't long ago that brakes were taboo around here, especially on a .308. Funny how things change. </div></div>

I never recall that... Not even close. In fact I barely recall any mention of brakes, especially in terms of taboo.

FTE or suppressed. Sometimes shoot without in certian matches. If building a rifle, I have it built for both.