• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vote, Muzzle device on your rifle

Re: Vote, Muzzle device on your rifle

I voted yes. I have them on my 20 and 18.5 inch rifles and on my 338LM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It wasn't long ago that brakes were taboo around here, especially on a .308. Funny how things change. </div></div>

I never recall that... Not even close. In fact I barely recall any mention of brakes, especially in terms of taboo.

</div></div>

It was common for people to opine that a .308 didn't need one when someone asked a "which brake" question. The advise would be, it's your technique, you need training, etc. Now the answers have swung to keeping the gun on target for spotting hits during a match. I have always been a fan of brakes so maybe those answers stuck out for me.

Almost all my rifles have breaks now. but then again, you should see some of the bruisers in shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It wasn't long ago that brakes were taboo around here, especially on a .308. Funny how things change. </div></div>

I never recall that... Not even close. In fact I barely recall any mention of brakes, especially in terms of taboo.

</div></div>

It was common for people to opine that a .308 didn't need one when someone asked a "which brake" question. The advise would be, it's your technique, you need training, etc. Now the answers have swung to keeping the gun on target for spotting hits during a match. I have always been a fan of brakes so maybe those answers stuck out for me. </div></div>

I got the impression that most of those responses are in response to people early in the learning curve. Most don't want the new guys, like myself, to end up hiding a fundamentals flaw with a brake.

Dave

I don't recall even ever firing a rifle with a brake. None of my rifles have them although we do shoot suppressed now and prefer that to shooting non-suppressed. Biggest caliber I have and the one I shoot the most is 300WM, again, without brake. This is my match as well as hunting rifle.

Geb

I have to agree with Terry, brakes are bad when you are in the line up on a tactical team or sharing the firing line with other shooters. Guys on our department will try to find a better position on the firing line when they observe someone using one on their AR. From my experince the heavier the weapon the less recoil. Case in point my 308 weighs 16 pounds and has a flash suppresor on it and shoots like a 22 rifle. The flash suppresor that I use does not pick up debris so that you can continue to see the target and does not mark your position day or night. Even when we elk hunt the guy with the brake usally has no company in the field, unless his companion is standing way behind him. With new materials being used in stock construction and recoil pad development they do a considerable job of cutting recoil. Heavy calibers (i,e 50BMG) though it is mandatory for using a brake or it will beat you to death and time back on target is lousy for engaging multiple targets. If you are the solo guy on the line with a brake you have no worries. Suppresors though will make you a ton of friends on the firing line or in the line up.
smile.gif

My .308 has an FTE brake which does a good job. It's pretty rude on the line though so we try and keep our distance from the other blokes.

Out in the field though, spotter is always offset so it's not an issue for the most part.

Compared to my oppo's .308 it has around 50% felt recoil.

My TRG 22 has a brake

My 700 in .260 does not

My Salvage in .300 win does now, but will.

All my heavy barrel ARs do.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/b_uSWXN4V3M[/video]

Shot this of my FTE braked .308 a couple weeks back... Blows alot of crud out to the sides but not down into your face which is a bonus.

I've got Surefire muzzle brakes on 1 308 bolt gun, 1 308 gas gun, 1 223 SCAR-16S, and 2 223 AR15s.

FTE on my 338 bolt gun.

Glad I found this thread as I'm actually considering a muzzle device on my 700 in .308. Never had one on any of my rifles so this is new territory for me. Any help with advantages/disadvantages. The rifle will definitely be used in the field for hunting as in the near future I will be relocating to either Spokane or outside Boise and it's starting to look like outside Boise.

Thanks texag0842! Checked them both out and in doing so realized that's something that will have tom wait until I'm no longer a resident of CA.

Remmy 700 tactical + AAC Blackout flash hider / suppressor mount.

FN SPR no muzzle devices / no suppressor.

After a long time of shooting a 7RM without one, after putting a muscle brake on I'm never going back. When you start getting past 60 grns of powder or so they are nice to have. I try to be as courteous as possible when shooting on a firing line but have also been blasted by neighbors. I think one needs to learn to suck it up and tune it out, just like any other distraction that happens in the real world such as a less than ideal rest or wasps.

3 .308's and a 6.5CM, all braked. AI/2 MRAD/FTE. To me, it's just more enjoyable to shoot.

I do not.

I wanted to be able to compete in as many competitions as possible. Muzzle brakes and suppressors are not allowed in NRA High Power F T/R class competitions.

Also, I think that a muzzle brake on the line is just rude when you slam your neighbor(s) with the powder gases.

I have no firearms with muzzle devices. The heaviest recoiling chamberings I shoot are 20ga (2 3/4"), .30-'06, and .280 Rem.

Lately I have been threading a bunch of barrels of mine. Simply using a thread protector you can choose not to run anything at the muzzle. I am thinking it's a nice option to have, it's better to have the ability if you choose.

I have the factory muzzle brakes on my AIW and TRG 22. I've never had anybody complain to me about the side blast fem either one.

I have a few "main" rifles.

My 2 do most anything rifles :short 6.5 CM and short .308= NO BRAKE- Less debris thrown around and I can still shoot it with no loss of impact.
My 2 Long range hunting rifles: Lighter weight 7STW and 300WM= YES BRAKE- Vias on the STW and BOSS on the 300WM. Usually only gonna get one or two shots. On these 2 the breaks make it real nice. I can shoot my STW with ease.
My dedicated target rifle-.260 with 28" MTU=YES BRAKE-why not, shooting 100 shots a day or so the brake can make it nice.

And all this IF I don't use my suppressor. All rifles are threaded- My two tote around rifles have thread protectors.