• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Barrel Length

ehaleyjr86

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Centerburg, Ohio
I have been doing my research and leaning towards a Vudoo in the Ridgeback stock. I’m trying to decide between a 20” and 22” barrel. I plan to mostly shoot it at paper out to 200, a few friendly competitions with my buddies, and perhaps some local 22 matches if I can find any in Ohio.

What barrel length did you go with and why?

I have been doing my research and leaning towards a Vudoo in the Ridgeback stock. I’m trying to decide between a 20” and 22” barrel. I plan to mostly shoot it at paper out to 200, a few friendly competitions with my buddies, and perhaps some local 22 matches if I can find any in Ohio.

18.5" or 20" no real reason to go longer.

^^^ This. Aesthetically, a 22" barrel may be more visually appealing to you; if so, go for it!

Also note that an order for an 18," 20," or 22" barrel may result in the delivered barrel being a bit shorter due to the way Vudoo machines the blanks (Other threads in the V-22 forum about that; should pop up in a search). I ordered a 20" Kukri and the delivered barrel was a bit over 19" - they explained when I asked and offered to replace if I wanted. So, if you want exactly 18" or 20" or 21.625" just specify.

Reactions: ehaleyjr86

On one of their videos, 21" was mentioned. I'm thinking of going 20". What part of Ohio? I'm in Akron and it's not easy finding a place that likes Rimfire.

It is completely up to you and what your needs are.

I just a lot of positional stuff so I need that bullet out of the barrel before my crappy follow through screws it up. So I went with the shorter barrels.

But for a purely prone gun, a 22 inch barrel might be just the thing.

I don’t have mine yet but I ordered a 22” MTU because I wanted the weight similar to my 26” match rifles. Gives a little wiggle room it they have to cut it shorter to still end up over 20” as well.

I was informed that any 22lr barrels over 20 inches loose some velocity not sure how much?
Theory is powder burns up quick (not much powder) where as a center fire the powder keeps burning longer.
I never researched data to be true/false.
I use 20 inch works great.

^^^ This. Aesthetically, a 22" barrel may be more visually appealing to you; if so, go for it!

Also note that an order for an 18," 20," or 22" barrel may result in the delivered barrel being a bit shorter due to the way Vudoo machines the blanks (Other threads in the V-22 forum about that; should pop up in a search). I ordered a 20" Kukri and the delivered barrel was a bit over 19" - they explained when I asked and offered to replace if I wanted. So, if you want exactly 18" or 20" or 21.625" just specify.
Good info. I wish I would of known when I ordered mine in april..

Thanks

I live in central Ohio and I’ll let you know what I find for matches.
I'm Just a little south of Cleveland and am always looking for people shooting 22's. Let me know what you guys find.

I ordered mine with a 20" MTU. I look at the calendar every day and it's just killin me that its not here yet. I don't expect it until the beginning of July. :cry: The scope should be here in another week or 2.At least I will have that to look through. :)

There is a YouTube video out there where Vudoo themselves say 18 no more than 20 inch barrels.

I was informed that any 22lr barrels over 20 inches loose some velocity not sure how much?
Theory is powder burns up quick (not much powder) where as a center fire the powder keeps burning longer.
I never researched data to be true/false.
I use 20 inch works great.

Most testing has shown 22” to be about the average maximum length before velocity can start showing a decrease. Which is why vudoo only makes longer than 22” if you specifically ask them and understand what you’re getting.

It’s not the length of time the powder burns, but the amount of powder/energy. All Bullets, even centerfire, will eventually slow down if the barrel is long enough.

I just ordered one. I opted for the 20" barrel after watching the video discussing barrel length on the Vudoo website. Should be here bu early July.

I'm Just a little south of Cleveland and am always looking for people shooting 22's. Let me know what you guys find.

I ordered mine with a 20" MTU. I look at the calendar every day and it's just killin me that its not here yet. I don't expect it until the beginning of July. :cry: The scope should be here in another week or 2.At least I will have that to look through. :)
Just a thought for you guys, if you're interested. I Co-Direct a series of monthly Postal Matches, at 50, 100 and 200 yards. If you think you might be interested, send an email to [email protected] and we will send you an info packet and targets to review.

Just a thought for you guys, if you're interested. I Co-Direct a series of monthly Postal Matches, at 50, 100 and 200 yards. If you think you might be interested, send an email to [email protected] and we will send you an info packet and targets to review.
Would this be for us to start having matches, or for matches that you already have?

Sorry, I am transitioning from competitive shotgun shooting sports to this game and still learning everyday.

My vudoo with a 16 leaves no accuracy behind.

3C51853A-08F8-4582-8592-106C862ACFE6.jpeg

Would this be for us to start having matches, or for matches that you already have?

Sorry, I am transitioning from competitive shotgun shooting sports to this game and still learning everyday.
We provide a set of rules and multiple matches at 50, 100 and 200 yards for you to shoot monthly. We provide a scoring summary and send it out to all shooters. If you want to transition, this might be a good way to do so. No pressure, but you get fun and challenging matches to shoot. Send us an email and we'll return the docs so you can see what you think.

Thanks!

At 200y 16-22 will make no difference. 16-18 seems identical shooting subs or high velocity. No need to to go longer than 18 for 200y, if you want to go 300,400,500 or even a 1000y I’d recommend getting a 20in and a faster twist. 1:9 to 1:12. I prefer the faster twist for anything over 400. Others do less and are successful. The real magic with the Vudoo is the chamber. The Savage chamber designed by Mike Bush. Feeds really nice and shoots well. It can be picky in the ammo but there is a fix for that.

I built two identical 22LR match rifles, same brand,twist , contour, groove type. 1 in 18", 1 in 24". I did this to prove why 24" barrel's were the standard for 60 years. Test results revealed the 24" averaged 75fps more velocity and 4-6 inches less drop at 100 yards,with a dozen different types of ammunition. My next 22LR will be a Vudoo in a 22".

I just picked up my Vudoo a few weeks ago in a AIAT ACIS chassis with a 20 inch barrel. I had them install a Area 419 Hellfire muzzle brake not because it needed it, because I like the way its looks. It matches my AIAT 6.5 Creedmoor. I still haven't been able to shoot it yet.

Last edited:
Running a “18in” barrel. Kinda wish I would’ve custom ordered a 20” for the look but it shoots lights out so no complaints here!
336ABC53-6495-405F-976F-916B52D4E114.jpeg

Get the heaviest 16 inch if you can. It will be similar to a comp gun and as efficient as it needs to be. That's what Vudoo said when I bought mine.

Last edited:
Im also running the 20inch. No complaints!

Attachments

• 20D4DB6C-E1B6-46A4-BCEE-FF498D4873C8.jpeg
    20D4DB6C-E1B6-46A4-BCEE-FF498D4873C8.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 98
I live in central Ohio and I’ll let you know what I find for matches.

For the Ohio folks,
Canton Mc Kinley rifle club.
Geenport tactical near Canton had NRL 22 last year.
Streetsboro Sportsman association.
Southington Hunt Club and training facility.
Lake Milton Fish and Game Club.

I plan on going to Southington for the July 19 shoot there should be some 300yd plus targets there. Most of the club's do bench rest at 50 yds. Streetsboro might be 100yds and I believe last year they were doing F class/ belly benchrest with bipod and rear bag.

My first Vudoo I ordered was 20" MTU which I'm 100% glad I chose looking back now. I bought a 2nd one from a guy that has a 18" Specter taper. Both shoot well, there is significant weight difference and balance difference between them.