• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VX-6HD vs NF SHV?

N.I.

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2023
US
Trying to decide between a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 F2 and a Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42 - The VX is abut 350 dollars more from what I can see; is it worth it over the NF?

Reactions: Snark0
Dialed a cow at 585 yds with a vx6hd 3-18 last year and was dead on. Fell on my ass a few times prior to that. The locking turrets are nice, but they are mushy. Wouldn't want to run one in prs, but not an issue for me hunting.

The vx6 probably wouldn't hold up to being used as a hammer to frame a house, but then again I don't know how SHV compares to nxs or nx8 in terms of durability.

Never looked through an SHV but I would hazard to guess the vx6 hd has better glass.

You could consider used nxs or nx8 too.

Reactions: Stoweit and N.I.
The leupold VX5 or 6 is much better than the SHV. I have experience with all three and I would take the Leupold any day over the SHV. I dont think there was much difference between the vx5 or vx6 for that matter.

I cant stand the reticles offered in Leupold so ended up going with a SHV for a new build. Leupold has better FOV for sure, and probably a better glass and coatings package. SHV F1 likely more durable and I believe has a more reliable tracking record for turrets. I have 3 Leupolds on different rifles now, and am converting to NF for whatever thats worth.

Shv is horrible optically.

I have taken to running 3-15 vx5hd in htmr. I don't need illumination, and I'll trade ffp for a usable SFP reticle and less weight.

The SHV is NOT impact tested nor tracking tested etc. in Idaho. And not the same turrets as NXS or ATACR.
Just boxed and shipped as they come from Japan.
Optically they are decent but certainly not like the other NF models.
I would take the Leupold every day of the week over SHV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoweit
I have not had the SHV but did have the exact VX-6HD with the firedot duplex. If someone makes better glass I haven’t sat behind it. The turrets are easy to use and were accurate on mine. Pig hunting at night with no light is doable with this scope if you have a decent moon. The firedot turns down low enough to not hurt your night vision. I can’t say enough good things about this scope and shouldn’t have gotten rid of it but it’s what I do.

Neither is a bad option. The VX6HD blows the SHV out of the water optically and I would say is overall a nicer quality than the SHV. They are pretty bare bones. SHV has the option for something in a holdover reticle even if it is MOA, that's it's only advantage to that model VX6.

Personally I'd buy a Swaro Z3 or Z5 with BRH reticle over either of them.

Reactions: Stoweit
I have both of these….the VX6 is much better optically as pointed out by others and a very good low light hunting optic. It sits on a .308 bolt gun for the deers. The SHV not so much at low light. But it is parked on a 6.8 gasser as a day time pig popper and serves that role well.

Trying to decide between a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 F2 and a Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42 - The VX is abut 350 dollars more from what I can see; is it worth it over the NF?
My vote is neither... You can get much better for the money.

This is a better scope than both of those options... It's kind of a crossover, where you can hunt and shoot LR with it...

Best glass in their price range for a lightweight hunting scope...

I’ll second the recommendation for the Zeiss V4. That’s what’s on my hunting rig, it’s been out 1065 yards and back several times. No issues on tracking, glass is pretty damn good, and light enough. What I don’t care for about it, the clicks are quiet and a bit mushy. Not as bad as the leupold or swfa. I grabbed the 4-16x50 as a demo from redhawk rifles, wish I would’ve waited for the 4-16x44. Pretty much the same except smaller and a few oz lighter.

Reactions: leendertp
It was only a matter of time until the babbling mouth breather showed up with recommendations completely out of line with what the OP is looking for.

Reactions: mws2000
My vote is neither... You can get much better for the money.

This is a better scope than both of those options... It's kind of a crossover, where you can hunt and shoot LR with it...

Best glass in their price range for a lightweight hunting scope...

Thx, I'm looking for something around the 2x to 3x by 18 at the highest - no exp with Burris.

Reactions: FuhQ
Thx, I'm looking for something around the 2x to 3x by 18 at the highest - no exp with Burris.
Gotcha. Are you more concerned with weight, or budget? If scope weight is not so much of a factor, and your budget can swing it, take a good look at the Kahles K318i CCW RSW w/ the SKMR3 reticle. Model number is 10633. I have one on my main lightweight hunting rifle, and despite the scope being on the hefty side (on paper), the whole rig balances extremely well, and is still very light and easy to carry.

IMG_7584.jpegIMG_7585.jpegIMG_7590.jpeg

Gotcha. Are you more concerned with weight, or budget? If scope weight is not so much of a factor, and your budget can swing it, take a good look at the Kahles K318i CCW RSW w/ the SKMR3 reticle. Model number is 10633. I have one on my main lightweight hunting rifle, and despite the scope being on the hefty side (on paper), the whole rig balances extremely well, and is still very light and easy to carry.

View attachment 8192062View attachment 8192063View attachment 8192064
Yeah that's a nice unit, but 2.5x what I want to spend :eek: :D
This is for a AR DMR build

Reactions: FuhQ
This is for a AR DMR build

These are solid for the $$ for DMR rifles, it's got a far better reticle for that use than the Leupold or NF and it's got better turrets for dialing. For under $1K you can't beat it. They also pop up like new on occasion for $750ish but like every other month or so.

These are solid for the $$ for DMR rifles, it's got a far better reticle for that use than the Leupold or NF and it's got better turrets for dialing. For under $1K you can't beat it. They also pop up like new on occasion for $750ish but like every other month or so.

Hmmmm, I totally forgot about Trijicon, good tip, thx.

I could only find the VX-6HD 2-12x42 with a duplex reticle on the Leupold website, and duplex is one of two reticles the SHV 3-10x42 comes in, so I assumed that was what you were comparing. I don't know if they offer the VX-6HD 2-12x42 with another reticle, since I am not familiar with the entire Leupold lineup, but that was why I was asking.

Last edited:

i have a vx-6dhd 2-12 and am not all that happy with the optical clarity above 10x. the lack of paralax adjustment might be the problem there.

i also have a vx5-hd 2-10x and it seems clear at 10x than the 2-12 does at 10x

i probably won’t sell it but its not used on a rifle i shoot past 400yds with. just a AR15.