• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes VX6, or what else?

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

So I'm looking for a scope that is relatively light (no actual weight in mind) that has great glass. This will be for a hunting rifle. I know there 20 threads like this every week. But really, when it comes down to SFP I have no idea what exists out there. Leupold VX6 is the only one that came to mind. Budget is $1,000.00. Since it'll be on a loaner hunting rifle, I don't need a fancy reticle, or a scope full of features that apply mostly to PRS type shooting. Most importantly, glass quality and light transmission are what I'm looking for. Leupold is known in the hunting world to have good optics. Would this be my best bet? Im open to hear and consider anything else with exceptional glass at around $1,000.00.

Thanks

Edit**

Anybody have experience with Minox or can recommend something from them within the budget that competes with what's already mentioned below?

Last edited:
    Definitely something I can consider. Really, I'm looking for fine glass with optimal low light performance. I'd like high mag range as well given we are hunting a 15,000 acre high fence ranch where we have senderos out past 1000 yards. It'd be nice to be able to see them.

Swarovski Z5 3.6-18 x44,
    Leupold VX-6HD 3-18 or VX-5HD 3-15
    Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42

To my eyes the Swarovski has the Best glass, but I don't feel like the VX6HD or Vortex are far off. The VX-6HD with the ZL2 turrets are far and way the best of these if the scope will be dialing much. The Vortex is a basic no frills optic that is extremely lightweight with good glass; but the turrets were not really meant to be dialed much. The leupold & Swarovski will probably come a bit over your budget, the Vortex well under. You might look at the VX5 3-15, They can be had well under your budget. Reported to be the same glass as the VX-6HD, just a 5x zoom.

Swarovski Z5 3.6-18 x44,
    Leupold VX-6HD 3-18 or VX-5HD 3-15
    Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42

To my eyes the Swarovski has the Best glass, but I don't feel like the VX6HD or Vortex are far off. The VX-6HD with the ZL2 turrets are far and way the best of these if the scope will be dialing much. The Vortex is a basic no frills optic that is extremely lightweight with good glass; but the turrets were not really meant to be dialed much. The leupold & Swarovski will probably come a bit over your budget, the Vortex well under. You might look at the VX5 3-15, They can be had well under your budget. Reported to be the same glass as the VX-6HD, just a 5x zoom.

Thank you for these recommendations. I will definitely look into them as well as the meopata suggested in one of the earlier replies. Yes, the turrets will never be dialed. Zeroed once and that's it unless of course needing to be re-zeroed!

A used LRHS beats every piece of glass mentioned in this thread.

I have to side with pirate. My z3 swaro is noticeably better than my lrtsi as far as lowlight and just plain beautifulness of the view are concerned. The z3 turret doesn’t hold a candle to the bushnell though.

Reactions: stello1001
    Totally agree, One hell of a scope for the money, can find them used for $700-$800

Im only looking for a rifle that will be put together before the start of next season. I simply like to look for and study items months in advance before committing to a purchase. If I do find one at said price, I can definitely consider it.

Yes I agree with you two. I've been hunting hard this season with an uncle that's invited me to his lease. He owns a rifle scope that is Swaro and some 10x binos that are Swaros. I really haven't looked much through his rifle scope but his binos I grab every now and then. Boy, those things produce an amazing image. He did however say he paid around 2 grand for them like 10 years ago. Even though they may be outdated, you can tell by the image they are extremely top notch glass!

Yes I agree with you two. I've been hunting hard this season with an uncle that's invited me to his lease. He owns a rifle scope that is Swaro and some 10x binos that are Swaros. I really haven't looked much through his rifle scope but his binos I grab every now and then. Boy, those things produce an amazing image. He did however say he paid around 2 grand for them like 10 years ago. Even though they may be outdated, you can tell by the image they are extremely top notch glass!

Absolutely!! for binos and spotters, Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss. I don't know of anything that comes close.

Beats Swarovski? In price maybe. In quality and performance? I doubt it.

Yep. And it’s not even close if dialing shots, IME. Especially if reliability and tracking are important to you. I’ve shot thousands of rounds using both. Swaro customer service was pleasant to work with, though. Caveat: “Glass” is pretty far down my list of requirements for my aiming devices. It’s nice to have, though.

Kowa Prominar series

I've heard the Kowa Prominar series are exceptional. Never had the opportunity to get behind any, I've even bid on a few spotters on eBay but never won the auction.

I have a straight Zeiss spotter and looking to replace it soon with an angled one. I might just get a Kowa, have been wanting to try one for some time.

Zeiss V4 is under $1000 and they have a little variety of reticles. I believe it is 90% light transmission. Not sure how that stacks up to the competition.

Personally I like my 3-15x50 Burris XTR2 G2B over my Zeiss V4 4-16x44 for hunting.

Last edited:
    Personally I think I would be looking at Tract. They have some great hunting optics and the glass and low light performance is outstanding.

Reactions: stello1001