• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors WA silencer bill passes House.

Ranb

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2008
Belfair, WA
House bill 1016 passed a vote on the House floor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HB 1016
Firearm noise suppressors
House vote on Final Passage
2/7/2011

Yeas: 88 Nays: 4 Absent: 0 Excused: 6

Voting Yea: Representatives Ahern, Alexander, Angel, Armstrong, Asay, Bailey, Billig, Blake, Buys, Carlyle, Chandler, Clibborn, Cody, Condotta, Crouse, Dahlquist, Dammeier, DeBolt, Dickerson, Dunshee, Fagan, Finn, Fitzgibbon, Frockt, Goodman, Green, Haigh, Haler, Hargrove, Harris, Hasegawa, Hinkle, Hope, Hunt, Hurst, Jacks, Jinkins, Johnson, Kagi, Kelley, Kenney, Kirby, Klippert, Kretz, Kristiansen, Ladenburg, Liias, Lytton, Maxwell, McCoy, McCune, Miloscia, Moeller, Morris, Moscoso, Nealey, Orcutt, Ormsby, Orwall, Overstreet, Parker, Pearson, Pedersen, Pettigrew, Probst, Reykdal, Rivers, Roberts, Rolfes, Ross, Ryu, Santos, Seaquist, Sells, Shea, Schmick, Short, Stanford, Sullivan, Takko, Taylor, Tharinger, Van De Wege, Walsh, Warnick, Wilcox, Zeiger, and Mr. Speaker
Voting Nay: Representatives Darneille, Hudgins, Hunter, and Springer
Absent:
Excused: Representatives Anderson, Appleton, Eddy, Rodne, Smith, and Upthegrove</div></div>
I am not sure, but maybe Senate bill 5112 is not making progress because House bill 1016 will go to it for a vote. The list of bills getting an executive hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee is out, and bill 5112 is not on it.

Ranb

Re: WA silencer bill passes House.

Thanks for keeping the rest of us informed, can't wait to get home and actually be able to use my AAC SCAR HD!

Bill 5112 was heard by the Senate Judiciary Executive Committee this morning. There was no debate. The decision was a unanimous "do pass" recommendation. It goes to the Rules Committee next.

Ranb

So when can we actually use them legally??? Now? What else can we do to support this?

I don't know that it would ever fly, but I would love to see a movement start to take hold in NY state to push this issue. Congrats to you guys who are working to get this pushed through out here.

Assuming it is signed into law by the governor or becomes law without her signature, it goes into effect 90 days after the 2011 session ends. The session ends on April 24, 90 days later is July 23, a Saturday. I plan on having a silencer shoot at the KRRC range in Bremrton to celebrate, if they win their noise lawsuit and are still open. Ironic huh?

Letters and phone calls to your Senator are the best thing you can do now. Here is the e-mail list. https://dlr.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/Default.aspx Here is how to locate your legislator. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WunderDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know that it would ever fly, but I would love to see a movement start to take hold in NY state to push this issue. Congrats to you guys who are working to get this pushed through out here. </div></div>

The silencer use movement here in WA was and is still very small. The only reason this bill is being passed is because we were able to convince the WA legislature that silencers are a very small threat to public safety and their benefits outweigh the risks. This way the anti-gun legislature can pass a pro-gun bill to show their gun owning constituents that they care about firearms.

You can do the same thing in NY. But it will be harder as silencer possession is illegal there but not in WA, just their use was illegal. Find a sympathetic legislator that will write a bill making an exception for silencers that are registered with the ATF. Form a group of people that will meet face to face with every state legislator in New York State. Write to every county sheriff and obtain data on silencer crime, find out if the ones used in crime were registered; they probably were not registered.

The single most important thing to do is those face to face meetings. They are literally worth 1000 letters and I am not exaggerating here. Both of my Representatives were unwilling to sponsor the silencer use bill until after I sat down face to face and talked to them. When a retired Sailor / middle aged nerd wearing thick glasses with a security clearance from the federal government dressed in boring clothes (that would be me) talks to a legislator face to face, they can see that I am not some sort of commando wanna-be who wants to be a silent stalker-killer.

After I got done talking to them, they understood that I wanted to put a simple muffler on a machine and use it without going to jail. They understood that I wanted to put a muffler on a gun for the same reason we use silencers on cars. I took the mystique out of owning a silencer and turned it into a completely rational safety exercise. I have been making silencer for ten years now as a hobby. There is no cool factor anymore; they are just little mufflers for guns and that is how I presented them.

You will get nowhere without a grass roots movement. E-mail me for more into if you are interested.

[email protected]

I'm pulling for you too guys, more than just WA suppressor owners (and potential owners) want this to pass for a lot of reasons.

I'd take leave, and fly back to washington, just to participate in the shoot.

Lets hope you're right! as for CLEO, just set up an LLC, its soooo much easier!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ranb,
Rules committee then onto the floor of the Senate, yes?
As much as don’t like or trust our governor, I really don’t see why she wouldn’t sign it. Especially as easily as it's going through the Legislature.
Now if the CLEO sign offs are eliminated too….
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67372

-T
</div></div>

Yes, Rules committee reads it a few times then sends it to the Senate floor for a vote. I wrote to the governor asking if she had any reservations about silencer use in WA, but did not get an answer. I have not heard of any reason why she would not sign the bill though.

I wrote to the Lt Gov yesterday when I wrote to the rest of the Rules committee. I will write to Mr. Owen again and see if I can get his personal feelings on the silencer use issue.

Ranb

Appreciate your efforts and hard work.

For the love of all that is holy I hope this passes.

Ranb if this passes we all owe you at least the cost of a transfer fee!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As much as don’t like or trust our governor, I really don’t see why she wouldn’t sign it. Especially as easily as it's going through the Legislature.
</div></div>

There is no "pocket veto", so she doesn't even have to sign it... she just has to not veto it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Within five days, if the Legislature is still in
session, or twenty days after its adjournment,
the Governor may sign the bill or veto all or any
section of it. The Legislature can override the
veto by a two-thirds vote of both houses. If the
Governor fails to act on the bill, it becomes law
without a signature.
</div></div>

Im getting excited! I might actually be able to use my cans at public ranges. This is a big step forward for us.

When will we find out about when the vote is?

CJG

You can see the status of bill 5112 here; http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5112&year=2011

Here was the progress of bill 1016 (the House version). http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1016&year=2011 . There was a gap of three days between being placed on the suspension calender and the vote by the House. Here is how the Rules committee operates; http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/Committees/RULE/Pages/RulesShorthandGuide.aspx

After the second reading is updated on the bill's webpage, it is unlikely to be updated again until it is voted on by the Senate and passed or rejected; as far as I know. I have never seen an agenda posted for the Rules committee. I think bill 5112 will have a vote next week. I hope anyway.
smile.gif

Ranb

fingers are crossed.

I lived in WA before AZ and remember always looking over my shoulder while using something I legally owned. For that, I hope this passes for you guys.

Havent seen anything in the last couple weeks, any idea on the time table?

CJG