• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Walther p22 safety issue- won't go to safe

ZombieSlayer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
The Land Down Under
Picked up a used p 22. 09 model in good overall condition and looks to of had minimal use. But the safety lever won't throw to safe. Only makes it 2/3 of the way there. I've read about a walking safety but can't find a similar problem anywhere. Yet to properly strip it and give it a good clean but not sure where to start with this one . Anyone heard of or had this issue before?

It took me years to get my P22 right. The safety was one of the issues. Have you taken the safety block out of the slide? I would do that and see if everything looks right. If I remember correctly you only need to remove the 2 screws on the levers and depress the firing pin. It should slide out the side.

Picked up a used p 22. 09 model in good overall condition and looks to of had minimal use. But the safety lever won't throw to safe. Only makes it 2/3 of the way there. I've read about a walking safety but can't find a similar problem anywhere. Yet to properly strip it and give it a good clean but not sure where to start with this one . Anyone heard of or had this issue before?

P22's are great weapons, I think you need the WALTHER P22 Bible: https://www.gunfactory.ch/download/Walther_P22_bible.pdf‎

It took me years to get my P22 right. The safety was one of the issues. Have you taken the safety block out of the slide? I would do that and see if everything looks right. If I remember correctly you only need to remove the 2 screws on the levers and depress the firing pin. It should slide out the side.

Nope, haven't taken it out. It did need a bloody good clean tho. The firing pin was sticking inside the bolt. Degreaser, compressed air, oil, compressed air, repeat a few times sorted it. I'll take the safety levers off and have a better look and give it a better clean but for now that problem is fixed.... time for the next one. . . .

Managed to lock the bloody thing up tonight with that dicky little trigger lock thing. Managed to strip the pistol and manually release the hammer which allowed the lock to be removed. Mental note. Don't use the bloody thing again. :D

Got the bible, going to work thru it over the next week and then take it for a shoot. Already chamfered the chamber/feed ramp and made a shiny new guide rod as well. Polished/rounded the hammer also done.

Any replacement sights worth a look to replace the factory placcy ones ?

I think it just snaps in if I remember. I bet a replacement would be pennies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

That's a lovely idea and all. But for storage or transport or both I believe handguns have to be temporarily deactivated to be legal here. The inbuilt lock seemed like a good idea but thinking I'll use a regular trigger lock.

The finished product. Biblified and beautified.
IMG_20140206_082658_zps67e23a4a.jpg

Last edited:
That's a lovely idea and all. But for storage or transport or both I believe handguns have to be temporarily deactivated to be legal here. The inbuilt lock seemed like a good idea but thinking I'll use a regular trigger lock.
Are you saying that applying a functional safety meets the legal requirements for temporary deactivation?

Walther p22 safety issue- won't go to safe

See, where I come from dumb asses with no actual experience or knowledge of guns write the rules to which we must comply. Very little makes sense here at all.
Regardless, that's still not what deactivation means.