• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Want ballistics app for iphone

Clicky762

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2009
Got a $15 apple gift card and want to use it towards a ballistic app for iphone. Can't decide between Ballistic: FTE or BulletFlight: M, Military. What are the major differences and which is more user friendly?

Re: Want ballistics app for iphone

i use the $3 bullet flight app. its not perfect but pretty close. $3 well spent.

I really like what Ballistic:FTE has to offer.

I have bulletflight. It has Brian Litz(sp) ballistic data in it but doesn't show it. It has a library of BC for just about every bullet in there. Very useful app. I bought the other app (higher cost i think). I cant remember how much it was.

jakermeister, goto 'utils' --> Projectile Database --> Bryan Litz G7

Not too sure why yours doesnt say that?

I am going to buy both and try them out side by side. I can't find enough info on the web to make a good decision as to which is best. The M version of the KAC program is $30 and the other is $10.
Small prices compared to the Kestrel 3500 to get the wind speed/humidity/baro pressure and the laser range finder for accurate ranging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jakermeister, goto 'utils' --> Projectile Database --> Bryan Litz G7

Not too sure why yours doesnt say that?

</div></div>

I know its from Brian but the BC value says HIDDEN or something like that. The app is great tho.

Jake

Ok yes i understand what your saying.

I get that too. Not too sure why.

Perhaps its information that Bryan has offered up but does not want to freely share?

Maybe the man himself can chime in on as to why

I think its why it doesn't show. He worked hard for his info and thats why I trust it
smile.gif

I already had FTE and bought the intermediate version of Bulletflight.

I like FTE it is a clever bit of kit. It is focussed on delivering ballistic table type outputs. The HUD is good but I found that I was either still interpolating data (not the point) or had a huge list to scroll through to get a precise result at my range. Not a big complaint to be honest but it seemed there had to be a more convenient way.

That is what I like about bulletflight, one page one set of data enter a precise range, estimate the wind and out comes a 'precise' firing solution - no pause as my brain interpolates. Slick.

BUT BulletFlight will not allow me to enter a revised muzzle velocity for that shot. So it works off the MV data entered for the zero. I know that my MV varies with temp and FTE allows the user to enter the MV in the HUD. The differences are significant at range. It seems odd to compensate for atmospheric shifts but ignore a key variable.

thoughts?

You can copy or modify the cartridge. I would copy it then "Modify" if needed. My version (bulletflight) lets me modify cartridges. Just select the cartridge, hit "modify", make your changes, then "save".

X2 for either Isnipe or ballistic FTE, kinda like the Isnipe cause it has all FTE has plus you can enter a certain distance and it gives both dial adjustments and also where to hold on a mil dot reticle to hit, both on the same page, I find myself using Isnipe more then FTE because of this advantage

+1 for bulletflight, although I haven't tried the others - it's expensive, but I feel like it's still worth more than I paid. Maybe I'm easily impressed...I like how it downloads the weather and adjusts ballistics for any saved loads.

I use Ballistic FTE. I could not be more pleased. The data comes as close to real world data as I have seen. It's very versatile and easy to use. I like it better than the Cheytac PDA I was issued in Afghanistan. It is hard to beat, especially for the money.

Ballistic FTE is pretty dam good. I print a lot of my data cards off from it in 2000' AD changes. I don't use my phone for shooting solutions. That's what the card tied to my scope is for. I can use the phone if needed in the field but the card is so much faster and doesn't need power in the field

I have Knights Armament Bulletflight Military version 3.1.0

Sweet little program and I use it all of the time.

I dont think you could go wrong with either bulletflight mil or ballstic field tac edition.

Check out some screen pics and look to see if one have features you prefer.

If your not super anal either of the two will do wonders.

iSnipe is giving away some free trials right now... PM bcode for details.

The developer and I keep in touch, I originally wrote the base ballistics library that iSnipe uses, and helped him port it over to the iPhone platform (same library as used on www.dop3.com)

I don't have an iPhone, but can vouch for the accuracy of the solving engine
wink.gif

D

If you want the Litz BC numbers you gotta buy his book. They aren't published in JBM either for that reason.

I prefer Ballistic (and I don't think you necessarily need the FTE) because it has the option of using the JBM engine. I like getting the exact same results whether I'm in a web browser or using the field version. Then when I'm comparing to real dope there's no discrepancies from one app to the other. In other words, you can play around with JBM online, then replicate the calculations exactly in the field. Any analysis you do later can be done with either app.