• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want to build a new hunting rifle…Bolt rifle novice…be gentle!

Yup…. The $10K figure was to ensure I’m not giving up something just because of an arbitrary limit. Frankly, I have more than that just in my Cabot pistol, but I’d really like to stay under that figure if possible. I know this will be the first of many to come and trying to pace myself as I get closer to retiring a second time!

Edit: Even after .mil (ORF) discounts, I’m into it ~$3,800 so far:

Defiance AntiX action: $1400
Proof 22” carbon fiber barrel short-shanked to 21” (Sendero profile): $1100
MDT HNT26 chassis: $1300

Still to source:
Trigger: $350 for the one I’m considering
Magazines: $500 (spares and range-only versions)
Initial ammo load out: $500 … plus whatever reloading components I can acquire in this caliber
Bipod: $700 (lightweight single pull)
Scope rings: $350 or so …leaning towards Spuhr, but not 100% yet
Scope: $3,000 or so … again not 100% sure, but likely another S&B or Nightforce
Suppressor: $1500 with the tax stamp and any accessories/brakes.

Plus another $100 or so for a good Sling, if I don’t just repurpose one here.

Maybe a laser range finder and Kestrel (or similar) soon too…never needed ‘em before, this is a different ball game. Figure another $750 or so there.

So yeah, $10K looks to be in the ballpark.

And we haven’t even begun to consider how much it’s gonna cost to tighten up that loose nut behind the trigger! I‘m a reasonably accomplished shooter, but don’t pretend to be even at a novice level in the longer range game. No idea where to even begin there…but with those lead times for the primary components, have some time at least! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Gwak2006
I'm kinda in the same position as you, I have a couple of standard calibers, .223, .308 & 300WM. I building a 6.5PRC on a Defiance Ruckus action, with an IBI barrel and KMW stock. The 6.5PRC will fit that "short action magnum" niche I'm looking for. I did consider a 300PRC, however my 300WM is doing everything out to a mile so I'm good to go. Good luck, you have already made some good choices. Cheers

Reactions: 91Eunozs
American Rifle Company is running a sale on their actions that ends today, here would be my recommendation for the rifle

American Rifle Company LA ( any of the three though bolt head swaps on the Archimedes take more effort due to the design)

MDT HNT26 chassis, phenomenal chassis that is lighter than my AG composites stock without any bottom metal.

Proof Research if they have the configuration you want and Carbon6 if they don’t (I personally use a Barloc as it makes barrel changes much easier)

TriggerTech(I prefer specials for hunting guns)

That set up should come in around 8.75 to 9.5 depending upon scope and barrel choices. As for running a SA cartridge in a long action, try the Magpul Mags first and if they don’t work get a 30-06 mag from MDT and put the LRI spacer in it. I used them with a 6.5 PRC in a long action and it worked great.

(https://www.longriflesinc.com/colle...agazine-filler-block-for-sa-magnum-cartridges)

View attachment 7752775
That is such a sweet setup.

That is such a sweet setup.
Killed two deer with it so far this year but I have a feeling next year after I get the 18” 6.5 PRC barrel it will be my new favorite deer rifle.

Have been kicking around the Idea of a .300 WSM SBR with a 12” CF barrel, I figure 30-06 performance out of a suppressed rifle as long as a rifle with a 20” barrel.

Great choice on the chassis @91Eunozs ! I am sure you'll be happy with the HNT-26 and it sounds like you have a killer build in the works.

Be sure to post pics once you've got it all together.

- Josh

will do.

About to order some 3 and 7-round mags, but then saw that XM mag pop up when I searched for 300WSM on your site. No details on that page…. What’s the difference?

I assume it’s for a specific action, or maybe holds more rounds, but honestly don’t know. Could just stand for “Extra Medium” for all I know…LOL.

Thanks in advance for any insights on mags that’ll work in that HNT26/Rem short action chassis with 300WSM

Not necessarily the trigger I was looking to get, but swung by my LGS on the way into work tonight to look at cans and walked out of there with this one:

2F4EB26C-B016-42B4-827B-6B927DA6BC2D.jpeg

I know a lot of precision shooters don’t like a straight trigger, but I have them on most of my personal ARs and like them a lot. I figure if I don’t like this one, or upgrade to a two stage (likely at some point), this one can replace the stock trigger in my factory Rem 700.

Reactions: The D
You could always buy another prefit barrel for your anTiX and have “another rifle”…..

My plan. I’ve got an anTiX short mag and an Altus proof prefit in 6.5 PRC, MDT HNT26 chassis just arrived.

That’s a pretty good “spare” trigger to have. They are pretty incredible especially for the price they’re going for now

You could always buy another prefit barrel for your anTiX and have “another rifle”…..

My plan. I’ve got an anTiX short mag and an Altus proof prefit in 6.5 PRC, MDT HNT26 chassis just arrived.

My chassis is back ordered … How long did you have to wait for yours? Kind of moot since I have 4 months or so to wait for the barrel, and 10+ months wait for the action, but will be nice to play around with it.

If it comes in early enough, maybe swap my current 700 action and .308 barrel into it to start getting a feel for this setup.

My chassis is back ordered … How long did you have to wait for yours? Kind of moot since I have 4 months or so to wait for the barrel, and 10+ months wait for the action, but will be nice to play around with it.

If it comes in early enough, maybe swap my current 700 action and .308 barrel into it to start getting a feel for this setup.
Bought mine on Black Friday, it was in stock and arrived last week.

will do.

About to order some 3 and 7-round mags, but then saw that XM mag pop up when I searched for 300WSM on your site. No details on that page…. What’s the difference?

I assume it’s for a specific action, or maybe holds more rounds, but honestly don’t know. Could just stand for “Extra Medium” for all I know…LOL.

Thanks in advance for any insights on mags that’ll work in that HNT26/Rem short action chassis with 300WSM
Good question and the XM length magazines are for a specific, "medium" action length such as the Defiance Ruckus, Tenacity or AnTi-X. You do require a special magazine well and geometry for it to function correctly, and we only currently offer the ACC Chassis with this compatible magazine well. There are aftermarket bottom metal options available from Hawkins and Desert Rifle Works (IIRC) but those adapt to an M5 cutout in a stock rather than integrate into a chassis.

- Josh

Good question and the XM length magazines are for a specific, "medium" action length such as the Defiance Ruckus, Tenacity or AnTi-X. You do require a special magazine well and geometry for it to function correctly, and we only currently offer the ACC Chassis with this compatible magazine well. There are aftermarket bottom metal options available from Hawkins and Desert Rifle Works (IIRC) but those adapt to an M5 cutout in a stock rather than integrate into a chassis.

- Josh
Perfect… thanks Josh.

I’ll confirm with Defiant, but my action is their ‘medium’ and specifically says Rem 700 Short Action.

The next size up is their XM for longer OAL…and then of course, the long action:

067D43A5-0DE1-46D1-89A6-C8BA166B3CBB.jpeg

I’m 99.9% sure I’m still gtg with my Defiance Medium (Rem 700 SA), and will need the regular mags from y’all but will confirm with Defiant. Good thing I’m 10 months out from production to educate myself and get these details ironed out, eh?

Just to confirm on your end though, the ‘regular’ (non-XM) 3 and 7-round AICS pattern mags will work with the HNT26 chassis set up for a remington 700 SA, correct? These: https://mdttac.com/300wsm-6-5-prc-mdt-metal-aics-magazine/

Can call with my name/order (well, back order) to confirm.

Perfect… thanks Josh.

I’ll confirm with Defiant, but my action is their ‘medium’ and specifically says Rem 700 Short Action.

The next size up is their XM for longer OAL…and then of course, the long action:

View attachment 7760374

I’m 99.9% sure I’m still gtg with my Defiance Medium (Rem 700 SA), and will need the regular mags from y’all but will confirm with Defiant. Good thing I’m 10 months out from production to educate myself and get these details ironed out, eh?

Just to confirm on your end though, the ‘regular’ (non-XM) 3 and 7-round AICS pattern mags will work with the HNT26 chassis set up for a remington 700 SA, correct? These: https://mdttac.com/300wsm-6-5-prc-mdt-metal-aics-magazine/

Can call with my name/order (well, back order) to confirm.
Confusingly, Defiance calls their R700 Short Action profile a "Medium" length, whereas other manufacturers (ie: Lone Peak, Zermatt, Impact, ARC, etc.) will refer to them as a "Short" length. Defiance's "Short" length is equivalent to a Remington Model 7, which is very unique and a different inlet all together!

Long story short, yes, our standard 3 and 7 round magazines for the AICS SA pattern magazine wells will drop right into the R700 SA RH HNT-26 chassis and feed factory/SAAMI length 6.5 PRC rounds without issue! No need to change your order :)

- Josh

Well, my Defiance ‘Anti‘ receiver is delayed until the end of the year (at the earliest), but I’m one step closer!

21” cf Proof Sendero profile barrel showed up today:

i-mVvNnZC.jpg

test fit … this is gonna be bad ass! I hope it shoots half as good as it looks!

i-29kXMpw.jpg

And another shout out to Marsha, and the rest of the Straightjacket Armory team out of Evanston, WY for their great customer service and communication from beginning to end. I honestly thought the barrel would be the last piece of the puzzle, but I’m still waiting for the action, and the can (just hit six months on the efile, le sigh)…

i-mV6RK5Q.jpg

…our adopted feral kitty, ”The Shitten” approves:

i-xX3W4kC.jpg

Reactions: The D and MDT_Josh
Update: well, more than a year after I started this endeavor, I’m about to head out to go pick up the receiver, action wrench, and some of the pinned scope rings Defiance modifies for their receivers (start out as lightweight Tally rings)!

Bonus: Was able to grab some more factory 300WSM ammo up at Cabela’s this morning…

16C04A0A-7947-4A71-8FB4-0F665E42BBCD.jpeg

$pendy as hell, but a good baseline to do the initial zero, and more brass for reloading once I settle on a good load.

Reactions: The D
Got it home!

9E0E763D-0A15-4DA5-B130-BDB0BDC13450.jpeg

98DFE51E-80FE-4993-A25D-F37A7E78E93A.jpeg

Grabbed a set of their Talley rings too, modified with a recoil pin to match the machined holes on top of the receiver:

09475866-0CCB-41CA-9293-385429BCAA0F.jpeg

Of course it was only after I got home that I realized I don’t have any 1/2-28 cap screws on hand (or even any regular 1/2-28 screws that are long enough for that matter) to test fit the action to the chassis. LOL

Will run out to the nearest Ace Hardware, 15 miles away, to get ‘em…gives me a project before my son and his wife arrive tomorrow morning!

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Quick test fit…only minor issue is that the Q Cherry Bomb muzzle device won’t thread all the way on. Likely just tolerance stacking, the thread protector as well as a couple spare Dead Air muzzle devices I have fit just fine. Just need to pick up a 5/8-24 tap and die set to clean up both sides.

7A3794F2-70B3-4698-BC20-463760F74929.jpeg

D9254AA2-2138-495B-97B2-D9986C557F30.jpeg

B0CB130C-6E90-4232-885A-8789AFD7B65E.jpeg

…and LOL, finally realized what this thing reminds me of with my longer (retrofitted) AAC SD can:

vq8wn.jpg

Last edited:
Got my receiver back from @Defiance Machine a couple days ago; had ‘em do up a standard bolt face so I can swap in a .308 barrel at some point. In the meantime, got it spun back up onto the 300WSM barrel this afternoon:

i-vGWZZMn.jpg

Amazing what having the right tool for the job does for a task…literally took me less than 5 minutes, including setting up the barrel vise in the mounting plate I picked up from Inline Fabrication.

i-vTvrxt9.jpg

i-JnK6T53.jpg

All good after a quick check:

i-8MFLwt3-S.jpg
i-ZJF7Bpz-S.jpg

and…

i-WbVRvcG-S.jpg
i-g3tZfxs-S.jpg

Also got the Nomad LT that’ll have this rifle as its primary host out of ATF jail a week or so ago! Man, blown away how light and effective this can is on some 300BLK loads I‘ve put through it so far.

Really looking forward to seeing how it performs with this gun and 300WSM:

i-dW7cMc7.jpg

Went with a Q Cherry Bomb mount for this rifle… light and doesn’t require timing shims:

i-mfKR8Lz.jpg

Lookin’ good so far! Ordering up a new scope tonight…

i-3P8526L.jpg

Gettin’ close:

i-mJ5TxMw.jpg

Quick update; got a Swarovski 5-25 non-illuminated scope with a 1” tube for now. Not ideal, but the lightest scope I could find with the magnification range I was looking for.

edit: the bell isn’t touching the barrel…only a couple mm clearance though.

i-rjTdqj3.jpg

Had time to do a quick 100-yard zero before I ran out of daylight, and will try to get out for a 200-yd zero later this afternoon, or next weekend. I was all over the place until I actually sat down to shoot instead of using the tripod, but once I got the center two, final zero was the upper right diamond target (2 clicks left for the last 3 closest to the center).

i-HjzQcpN.jpg

Yes, I still need to work on breath control (vertical strings)…and use a real rest instead of a wobbly stack of carpeted 2x4s.

Got back home too late to get to the range again today, but took a couple more pics in better light…

i-5PFcpCG.jpg

i-SgX5LnN.jpg

And a pic of the very narrow gap between the barrel and the objective bell. Actually a bit wider than this, bad angle, but you get the idea:

i-8CTpMxK.jpg