• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want to build Custom 10-22 help

msuhunter

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
Hernando, Mississippi
I am wanting to build a 10-22. Should I just get the cheapest one I can find and start buying pieces for it, or should I buy a receiver from Brownells and start from there.

Re: Want to build Custom 10-22 help

If you are a DIY-type, you should find an older model 10-22 with the metal trigger guard and go to town. If you build up a custom right off the bat, you won't get to tinker with the imperfect stock Ruger parts and make your very own "custom."

Here's what I would do, in order:

1. Find some good glass.

2. Find a used 10/22.

3. Mount the scope--I run Burris Signature Zee rings on a TacSol base, which IMO is a decent setup. Also consider Weigant Combat, EGW, and TPS bases. I really like the Zee rings, but I wish they were a little lower.

4. Shoot the heck out of it.

5. Visit rimfirecentral.com and look at all the stickies on how to perform 10/22 modifications with minimal if any cost.

6. Dremel your bolt release into an automatic bolt release. Also re-radius the trigger return plunger. You can do this by putting the plunger in the dremel like it was a drill bit. Make sure it's as straight as you can get it, spin it fast, and use a stone or sandpaper to round off the "shoulder" that drags on the trigger.

7. Get some sharpening stones and adjust the notch in your hammer to take pounds off the pull. Or buy a Power Custom hammer.

8. Go shoot!

9. You can do the "JB Weld trick" on the sear to reduce creep. Or, if you have access to a mill or a good drill press with vise, you can d/t the sear and install a screw to make the trigger creep-adjustable.

10. d/t a hole in the trigger for an overtravel screw.

11. You can pin the bolt, and re-radius the part where it slides over the hammer, but I wouldn't attempt these operations without a mill. Consider sending your bolt to Randy at CPC, or buying a Kidd bolt.

12. Shoot!

13. If the stock barrel isn't doing it for you, might want to pony up for a Green Mountain (I run a 18" GM that is very accurate) or a Kidd. While you're at it, you'll need to either modify your stock to fit the new barrel, or find a stock. I run a Hogue, which works okay. If I were to do it over, I'd get a B&C, S&K or a Boyd's.

14. Enjoy!

cheap and custom do not go hand in hand.

what i am having a gunsmith do for a 10/22 build is use kidd action/receiver/barell combo and put that in a Troup stock with vortex rimfire scope.

more of an off the shelf build than custom like the tikka action 6.5X47 Lapua in a Roedale stock he is building for me, but should be nice when complete.

with 10/22 you can do as much or as little as you want. check out clark customs as well for trigger/barells, etc.

Clark also makes full built 10/22's or action/barrel kits to drop in a stock. Their action/barrel kit bedded into something like the boyds stock offerings is probably one of the best deals for the $ out there.

10/22s are a slippery slope. If you do just a little to them a factory setup with a trigger kit, good barrel and good stock and bedding job will usually shoot pretty well and you can probably build one in the $500 range. IMO once you get past that you are much better off buying a high end model like a volquartsen/clark etc. or starting with a threaded custom action/barrel and going from there adding parts and bedding them into a stock.

It really depends how much you like to tinker. Building them is fun, but I've seen a lot of builds that cost as much as a volquartsen that don't shoot as well, or run as reliable. If you are going to spend the $ using any ruger part is just a bad idea the tolerances are shit which often results in unpredictable trigger jobs when aftermarket parts are put in (especially if it's not all the same kit), along with the fact that the press fit barrel interface is just a bad idea at their quality control level.

If you want to go nuts I'd find a steel threaded receiver of your choice, a good threaded barrel, kidd trigger, whatever other toys you want on it, pick out a stock and go to town. McMillan has several stock options for the 10/22. Volquartsen has a new crazy looking AL chassis that appears very adjustable, but isn't cheap. That said be aware that a top receiver/barrel/kidd trigger already puts you at or over $1000 without the stock and those can easily push $500.

Clark builds one heck of a 10/22:
fullrightfl4.jpg

There are a multitude of ways to wrap yourelf around some complex and costly axles when upgrading a 10/22. Been there done that, my current 10/22 is kinda ultra.

Start with small, economical steps.

My first mod was a Butler Creek .920" Target Barrel and Stock combo kit. They shoot very well. You can do better, but it gets pricey.

I replaced the trigger group internal parts with Volquartsen pieces, and added the extended magazine release.

You can stop right there, and be 90% of the way to the kind of accuracy that costs several times more; and that's what I'd do until I really got pissed at getting my butt whupped. It's entirely possible that day will never come. I did the bolt notch mod on mine and it cycles Standard Velocity fodder a lot better now.

Optics and mounts are your business, the preceding posts cover it well, and I'm a cheapo bastich.

I use the factory base, shim and bed it for more slope, and use basic Tasco rings and a Tasco VAR624X42M scope.

It got Optics Planet's Brilliance Award as best inexpensive target scope of 2008. I own four and they're on my 10/22, my Sav MKII, My M70 lightweight .30-'06, and my 1Kyd F Savage .260 custom F Class comp rifle. I trust them, and have done so for the past several years.

Your choice.

Greg

Thanks, I think im going to get me a good scope and find me a used 10/22 to start with. Once the funds start to build back up I think im going to get a boyds woodland camo stock, and then a barrel that ill do in OD green. Im still not sure exactly what kind of trigger I want. I want one that doesnt have alot of travel, none if possible. Are there any trigger kits that take all the travel out.

I have three 10/22's. I wanted info on DIY modifications and turned to Doug at www.theworks1022.com The book from his site has some good info on mods. I did them and they helped a lot. Even the hole you drill for cleaning is a nice idea, so you don't have to keep unbolting the barrel to clean it. I wanted a better trigger and a better barrel for some accuracy improvement. The eBook had some gunsmithing offers for Trigger Work and Accurizing My Stock Barrel & Bolt. He makes the trigger whatever pound pull you want. He makes the return sping in- house. He shims the trigger to eliminate any sideways play, very attentive to the little details. His speciality is doing "sleeper" builds that look factory stock but shoot ragged holes. I sent him my Trigger group, Barrel & Bolt of one of my rifles just to see what I got back.

It was a month turn around time. I was very happy with the 2.5 Lb trigger pull, and my groups went from 1 1/2" at 50 yrds to 1/2" with plinking ammo. After that I sent him the other ones to do too.

Mark

I have built 3 10/22. I did the route of starting with a out of the box 10/22 and using just the trigger group and receiver (twice).

Started with a MOA action and bought the rest of the parts and had the barrel threaded into the receiver (my most accurate one).

My next build is going to be a Tactical Innovations 7075 receiver with a Whistle Pig barrel on a Hogue stock with a Hornet Trigger group. It will go to CPC to have the barrel threaded to the receiver. This setup should weigh somewhere around 4-5#. My last whistle pig build was very accurate. 1 hole group at 50 yds.

Not to be a buzzkill, but if I was considering building up a custom 10-22, unless I had a shop full of already-paid-for parts, the very first thing I would buy is an Anschutz and a bunch of ammo.

Think about it this way - you spend $1,000 up to who knows how much for the 10-22 barrel, stock, trigger components, etc., and then find that the gun won't shoot like you want it to. So, you try to sell it and recoup some of your expense. You very quickly find that your $1,500 <span style="font-style: italic">ultimate-10-22</span> won't fetch $500 used.

Or, go out and buy an Anschutz rifle, and you'll still have about the same amount in it. You can shoot the s**t out of it, and probably <span style="font-style: italic">stil</span>l sell it for more than you paid for it. And you'll get better accuracy to boot!

Something to consider.

So what;s wrong with 1"@100yd?
A good barrel is a good barrel, regardless of the receiver it's mounted on.

Anything based on a Lothar Walther, Douglas, or better blank will have all the practical accuracy most pretty good shooters can use.

In principle, I agree, but a semiauto permits participation in speed events that a bolt isn't competitive, and I know several Master Class silhouette shooters who use 10/22s (unsponsored) in that discipline.

You can probably buy someone elses project for 4-450 bucks . A lot of folks are strapped for cash right now and there are lots of deals to be had .

I recently picked up this off the classifieds for $400 and look forward to shooting it .

dsc0248fj.jpg

Projects don't need to be cost effective! If he wants to tinker with a 10-22, hey.....go for it!

I have 3 that I've built. The fun part is the experimentation. The 10-22 can be modified without special tools and that is the appeal for me. My rifles shoot great and they are set up for my club 200 yard competition. Yes.....they will reach out to 200 just fine!

In my experience the barrel is #1 to replace. I use Green Mountain and Bo Clerke barrels. They are very inexpensive. #2 is the trigger. I bought a Volquartsen trigger group for one rifle (it cost more than the rifle) but now, I'm experimenting with re-doing the triggers myself. #3 is a stock that will actually fit the shooter. I like the Fajin Legacy and you can pick those up on sale pretty cheaply.

So far, I have NOT floated the barrels. 10-22 uses a single bolt mount that requires that the barrel rest on the forward end of the stock. With a .920" diameter barrel, I have not seen the need to free float the barrels.

Optics? I put huge scopes on these rifles to reach out to 200 yards. That's what I built them for.

So.....build what you want. Learn all you can and don't worry about who doesn't agree with you.

Flash

When it comes to 10/22s you only need to know one name Benjamin. Welcome to the club hope you have plenty of them. The only parts that I add to mine are Kidd, when it comes to trigger groups by his or save your money and do it yourself. IMHO

I know .22 lr is cheap but I put a .17 mach2 barrel on my 10/22 I was trying to sell and love it. E.R. Shaw barrel very accurate. I would have taken $300 for the rifle (Fajen stock custom fluted barrel) I just cant sell it now, Love it.

I agree with Inline6, the Kidd trigger is in a class all to itself. When in a 10/22 build for accuracy, this is a piece that cannot be avoided. Hope this build is your best yet!

I built my 10/22 from the ground up a few years ago and spent more than I probably needed to. Here are the MOST important upgrades, in their order of importance IMO.

1.) Trigger!! The stock Ruger triggrt is abysmal. You can either buy a new Kidd, or there are several people out there that will redo the one you have to a 1-3lb pull, and it's amazing what a difference that makes.

2.) Barrel...There are several good ones out there, the Butler Creek barrel/stock combo are a great economical way to start.

3.) Bolt...send it to someone to headspace it, radius cut the back, get a titanium firing pin and extractor.

The 10/22 you begin with really doesn't matter, buy the cheapest you can find as long as the bolt and receiver are in OK shape, they're the only parts you're going to be using at the end of the day anyway.
Those steps won't give you the "Ultimate" 10/22, but it will make you realize how well your budget plinker can shoot.

In my view, if you go the cheap route, you'll only end up building another (just like I did).

My last build: Tactical Solutions receiver, VQ trigger group and VQ barrel, B&C stock.

It's an amazing set up.

Unless you have sons (like I do), don't skimp, do it once, and be done.

Good luck.

I started off my build with the ruger 10/22 Target tactical mounted a Nikon 3-9x40 with weaver tac rings, and a bipod. Shoots 10 round groups at 50 yards that you can cover with a quarter.
Future upgrades include:
Kidd machined bolt
Kidd cocking assembly
Kidd 2 stage trigger
once I shoot the barrel out I will also get a new reciever and barrel.