• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want to duplicated FGMM 175 SMK's

BIGBOY1975

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Choupique,Louisiana
Anyone have any idea what powder and charge federal is using on there FGMM 175 SMK ive been trying to work up a load with 175's with varget and usually use lc brass for some tome now and cant seem to work up a tight load in my 308 Pierce Bolt Gun; 22' barrel when i shoot the factory FGMM i like the results i get any input would be appreciated Thanks

Last edited:
If you are using FGGM cases then you should work up from about 41.0 grains of 4064 to somewhere around 42.2 or so. Also you should use 210M primers and a 175 SMK seated to about 2.810 to be an exact match for FGGM. Try to reach 2600 from a 24 inch barrel, give or take a few FPS...

I think you will reach your desired sweet spot around 41.5-41.8 because of the smaller capacity case. I have read some have found another hot accuracy node at 42.2 using federal and LC cases but that seems rather hot to me. I wouldn't touch that load with a semi. You didn't say what the specs are on your rifle, that will have to account for your speed. I am loading a variation (178 BTHP) of that but I am using a 18 inch semi. I am getting 2566 from 42.8 grains of 4064 in a Hornady match case but it has a larger capacity than FGGM/LC cases....

Last edited:
Reactions: smtitmelevi
Some say use RL-15 to duplicate FGMM ammo and others IMR-4064. Supposedly Federal (ATK) is now supplying a round based on the Federal GMM case, a GMM primer, a 175gr SMK bullet, and 41.7gr of IMR-4064, to the Government with the designation MK316 MOD 0. Supposed to be "The Round" for all the M-24's and M-40's in the field.

Reactions: simonp
As noted above, factory specs call for 4064 or RL15. As what I would consider a better alternative, however, I would suggest 42.3 8208. Note that this is a max load and should be worked up to. .5-.8 MOA in my KAC SR25 (which was designed to shoot 118lr).

I am interested in 8208 but I heard this powder wasn't good for heavy .308. What speed and accuracy are you getting from 8208 in your SR?

I'm running 8208 behind 175 smk's with very good accuracy with the short ranges that I have access to. With LC brass and COAL 2.810 AND a 20" barrel, I'm pushin just shy of 2400 fps.
ES's have been upper 30's SD's consistently around 15-16. Provided I dont try an rush my shots, 1/2 MOA consistently. Again I havent had the opportunity to check accuracy at longer than 100 yds

Hutch

The recipe has been posted on here before. Try the search feature if you want to find the exact components.

Are you duplicating this load because it performs well in your rifle or some other reason.

I pick the bullet I want to shoot, the powder I want to use, and then the primer.

Load to several charge weights in .5 grain jumps based on what the loading manuals lists.

Then I always load the bullets just touching the lands.

If none of the rounds shoot a acceptable 10 shot group I change the Powder.

Then the OAL.

Then the primer.

Always only changing one item at a time.

Terry

The 175 gr FGMM round is precursor to the 7.62x51 Lake City, Long Range mk 316, Mod 0. That recipe has been published as 41.75 gr of 4064 (IMR) on federal brass and a gold metal match primer and a Sierra Matchking 175 boat tail hollow point bullet.

rWould it make a huge difference if I use cci lr primers or Winchester instead of the fgm?

I tested Winny primers against 210 and 210M and I didn't any noticeable difference in accuracy or consistency in my numbers. I prefer Winny primers as they tend to work well with a large variety of powders and the give a little more speed as well...

I specifically avoid winchester primers, as every thread I've seen on this sight where somebody has an etched boltface from leaking primers has been using winchesters.

Let me go on to add an addendum to my previous statement about zero difference between CCI 200s, CC BR2s and Tula LR:

When I say zero difference, I mean zero difference... Assuming the only difference in ammo is the primer (same cases, bullets, chargeweight), they literally shoot into the same group at 100 without rezeroing, and 1000 yard dope is the same.