• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want todays component prices to look REALLY bad? Oct 2000 MidwayUSA sale flyer...

Beyschaefer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Behind the Redwood Curtain, CA
Was cleaning out and found a MidwayUSA catalog/flyer on top of a shelf...

If we'd only known...
Lapua .308 brass, $31.99/100
Hornady .30 178 AMAX's, $19.80/100
Sierra .30 175's $18.37/100
Sierra .224 77gr Match $60.81/500
Leupold 24x BR scope $555.00

Just goes to show you.. you don't know when the "good old days" ARE until it's too late!

You guys aren't thinking about inflation.

Assuming XX Item costs $34.00 in 2000, at 5% inflation, that same item would cost $61.04 in 2013.

It's not as "good ol' day" as it was back then, but it's not so bad as you're thinking. With the exception of availability. Actual inflations rates are a little lower, but you get the idea.

You guys aren't thinking about inflation.

Assuming XX Item costs $34.00 in 2000, at 5% inflation, that same item would cost $61.04 in 2013.

It's not as "good ol' day" as it was back then, but it's not so bad as you're thinking. With the exception of availability. Actual inflations rates are a little lower, but you get the idea.

It wouldnt be so bad if wages had kept pace but they haven't unfortunately. Its the dreaded return of "Stagflation" (bad economy/droping wages and rising cost of living/inflation) In other words its the kryptonite of the U.S. economy and the Fed can literally do nothing to control it. A sign of bad things to come I would say.

The fed is borrowing .46 cents for every dollar they spend. Right? There's our sign. Sometime soon China is going to swoop in and control our commodities markets, and then we'll get what we deserve....the stiff arm from the communists who want their money we owe them.

That's when I actually bought Lapua brass. Now it's not worth 3 times as much.

I'm just starting to dip my toes into the waters of reloading, but recently came across an old box of my Dad's reloading equipment and some of the equipment boxes have price tags still. Less than $8.00 for a Forster case trimmer, less than $14.00 for a beam scale, etc. No idea how old these items are though as I never saw my Dad reload when I was a kid and only heard him bitch about it a couple times.

IMG_5398_zpsa50fe6dd.jpg

IMG_5399_zps96ec08c9.jpg

IMG_5388_zps394bae68.jpg

And I have no idea about this press yet, need to look it up one day.
IMG_5392_zps20fcc46e.jpg

The bright side is that HIGH prices today will be low 10 years from now. Only problem is where to find them these days!

You kids...I wish I could find one of my old Natchez catalogs from '88. I would blow your mind. As I remember I had a lot less money to spend back then though. Making $5.17 an hour, and that was a GOOD job.

Heck, I pay a lot more in TAXES every year than my first good paying job. :)

I was reloading .45 ACP for less than the cost of shooting .22. This was with casting bullets from scrap linotype metal ($30 per 100 pounds). Bullseye and primers. Was around 1.2 cents per round.