• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanting a battle rifle

AK is an assault rifle.
AR-15 is an assault rifle

Brief History for those confused. In world war II, the Germans chopped the 8mm mauser in half (not literally) to to give the 7.92 x 33 Kurtz and chambered a full-auto weapon in that caliber. It was designed to be more powerful than a pistol but less powerful that the regular rifle. It was to be compact like a machine pistol. It was called the Sturmgewehr which is literally German for "assault rifle"

After the war everyone else caught onto the concept of an intermediate, full auto compact rifle--except those in charge at the US military, who insisted on staying with a 30 cal "full power" round. Thus the US forced NATO to use 308 over various intermediate proposals.

Then the US came to its senses, adopted the AR-15--said "sorry our bad" but we are in charge so we decide .223 you you all can suck it.

This happened about 1970 (While the M-16 is synonymous with Vietnam, European troups where equiped with .308 rifles to be good neighbros with outher NATO buds), so there are some 'purists' who insist that the AR-15 or AK-47 being an INTERMEDIATE cartridge is not a "man's gun" and thus prefer the full power of a "Battle Rifle"

We rediscovered this in PRS when everyone stopped shooting 308 and dropped down to 6 mil and about 30 grains of powder for anything inside 100 yards.

Basically the original rounds used in military rifles were WAY overpowered for the ranges at which combat took place.

Battle Rifle: Full Power Centerfire in a military caliber such as 30-06, 308, 303 British, 8MM Mauser, 7.62x54R (This term is used to contrast their how power status as a reaction against 'assault rifles')
Assault Rifle: Intermediate Power, AUTOMATIC, rifle. (unless you are a politician)

Great post.
A couple of technical questions for the history nerds.

Other than the original Armalite AR-15, what other AR-15's in production have a selective fire capable of automatic fire?

Would it be more accurate to state that the M-16 is an assault rifle to differentiate the selective fire differences between the AR-15 with semi-automatic only and the modern M-16's with selective fire capability in the modern lexicon?

The only reason I offer this critique on your post is the modern political trend of claiming AR-15's in wide circulation among the civilian population are assault rifles, when in fact without the full auto capability, I insist that they are not.

Also, as posted elsewhere in the forum, the earliest US Gov publication defining the assault rifle:

Assault Rifle Definition.jpg

@RGStory
Yeah that's one of the big rubs. AR-15 is a very loosely defined 'Model' that didn't become super popular until much much later (after the MG ban). Its a little before my time but the problem is the original 'AR-15' is the 'M-16'. Just like the Beretta 92F is the M9.

And of course you have non-select fire variants of the AR-15, AK-47, and AKM (which is really what most people have). AR-15 and AK-47 have become 'catch-alls' for design style.

Then there is the complication: What is the 'M-16A2' or what is the 'M4' I mean they are clearly NOT the original AR-15 or M-16. But look at what we call an AR-15--20 different companies with 20 different models and configs each! Same goes for a lot of others.

And then there is semi-automatic vs automatic and the infamous 'Full Semi-Automatic' Because politicians are involved, the delicated differences that are importatnt to us, get smeared when politicians get involved.

I think that's where "Modern Sporting RIfle" is angling as the alternative to "Semi-Automatic Assault Weapon" so while I would disagree with y our assertion on a technicality, its the right idea.

Reactions: RGStory