• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wanting a Varmint rifle

Jrb572

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I am wanting to purchase a rifle for ground hogs a coyotes what caliber and why? Just looking for some good info. I am looking to purchase a .223 or 22-250. I have never shot either. I am going with a Remington 700 Varmint. Sorry to ask not trying to get any body arguing which is better. I am wanting to purchase one of these and have no idea what each are capable of.

Re: Wanting a Varmint rifle

I don't know if your set on a rem 700 only, but you should take look at the savage model 12 LRPV. I recommend the 6 BR because it is a inherently accurate cartridge, with real good barrel life. If you get one with a 1 in 8" twist barrel it will stablize heavy bullets for long range shooting.

.223AI with 1/8 twist....Cheap(er) brass. Minimal case trimming and can shoot heavies with minimal recoil.

Max range problay around 600 yard. Im stuck on Remington its just what i like but thanks for the info on the Savage

.243 SPS Varmint. My .02 (for out to 600yrd)

i was also thinking about that round too so lets add in the 243 also. Once again i know nothing about this round and have never shot one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.243 SPS Varmint. My .02 (for out to 600yrd) </div></div>

+1 on the 243 out to 600 yards. The sps varmint is a good price for a starter rifle also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.243 SPS Varmint. My .02 (for out to 600yrd) </div></div>

+1 on the 243 out to 600 yards. The sps varmint is a good price for a starter rifle also. </div></div>

I have varmint rigs in 243 and 223. I like the 223 better for ammo cost, barrel life and its a bit lighter so its easier to carry. Don't know about chucks, but prairie dogs live where the wind blows.....and thats where the 243 shines.....in the wind past 400yards.

if you want to shoot chucks and coyotes and it has to be a remington I would recommend buying a 700 ltr in 223 and having it reamed out to 223 ackley. it will give you a fast handling rifle (7.5lbs 20" barrel) that will shoot the 50gr vmax to 3600fps easily and if you feel inclined it will for sure shoot the 69gr bullets and probably the 75gr amax since you will have the 1 in 9 twist.

If you are really worried about having enough fire power buy the same rifle in 308 put a muzzle break on it and shoot the 155gr amax you will definetly like the results. I have a ltr in 300 saum with a break and it kicks about like my tikka 243 with a limbsaver. Then if you want you will be able to stretch you range out past 600yds.

shit if money isn't an issue just buy an action and have a rifle custom built for you.

just my .02cents

go with the 243 ground hogs and coyotes are not high volume shooting like praire dogs so the 243 will last for a while.

Guessing you don't reload so 22-250, 243,and 223 can be found in most mom and pop joints even Wallmart and all will serve the task at hand well.

i had the same dilema when i bought my rifle. I wanted the 22 250 but i got a 243 and couldnt be happier. I got the remington 700 spsv. the 243 is a great all around round and can be used for about anything. It also had very low recoil compared to some others out there... give the .243 a hard look

Might want to think about a Rem700 6.8SPC also...

Rem700Police68mmREMSPCMatte26Barrel.gif

I have a ADL M700 in 22-250 and it's great! But recently I upgraded a AR15 to a flat top and purchased a really accurate 243 Win so I may retire the 22-250. IMHO you can't go wrong with a 223, and then latter a 243. If you think you'll need two rigs then having a 223 and a 243 or 6mm would be a great combo. Otherwise a 223, 22-250, or a 243 would all serve you well. BTW all my varmit rigs are walking sticks, so a standard barrel will work fine also. Although I practise my stalking/ field position skills on rockchucks, they can get very wary where I hunt.

I am in the same boat and I already own a SPS V in .308, and a 22-250 custom Mauser Hart heavy barrel, but I like what I see in the Stevens 200 series in .223.Its a plain jane shooter and a little Krylon goes a long ways. I beleive this will be a good varmit/ truck gun and at $300.00 bucks I don't think I will go wrong. I will however give it a trigger job. I do like my Remmys but only using the gun for varmits and coyotes and this one will fit the bill nicely.

Ive sent a lot of animals to the rainbow bridge with the 22-250. When we go to the desert its one of the first ones we take. We shoot 50gr Nosler B-Tips around 3900-4000fps. I dont believe you'll be unhappy with a 22-250 for anything from ground squirrels to coyotes. Dont get me wrong the .223 is a good round but the 22-250 just has that little extra. Its costs little more to shoot but you gota pay to play.

Just my thoughts,
    Kc

22-250 is a popular one for sure. also a 220 Swift but that might be a bit tougher on barrel life.

If not really going out to the max range look at the .204 Ruger or even the 20 Tactical "Tac 20". A 32gr bullet pushing 4200+fps is blistering for chucks and other critters.

I have shot 22-250's for about 30 years..If specifically shooting varmits, this rifle shines at 0 to 400 yards...Beyond that and chose a 243 up to 600 and maybe further if you are really good or practice alot. If your shooting is going to be on the average 300 yards or less then a 223 is hard to beat because of it's availability and cost factor. Remember ammo is only going to raise in price because we have fools in high ranking positions trying to tell us we don't need to have firearms...If most of your shooting will be within 150 yards, the 17HMR is cheap to shoot and it performs very nicely on varmits for a fraction of the price and the Savage 17HMR 20" barreled rifle is cheap to get and will shoot better than you or I can shoot..Good luck with your choices...SmokeRolls

I was just going to go back and add to my post, I got a little side tracked.

Bang for the buck, my most sucessful out of the box accurate non-tactical rifle was a Savage Model 112 (pre-12 short action series) BVSS .223rem. It was a bit long with the 26" tube but it would flat shoot. My wife would usually outshoot me with this rifle. Besides it's a sharp looking rig and the laminated stock is top-notch.

Another good option that falls into the same boat is the Remington VLS. I've had that in both .223 and .308 with no complaints at all. A friend has an older model chambered in 6mm rem and it's a tack driver.

Lot's of options are available. Wood / synthetic stock, barrel lengths & calibers, auto-loader or bolt action. Do your looking around and set a budget. Don't forget about allowing for good scope in the budget too.

my .02¢

My hunting rifle is an AR in 6.5 Grendel. Its good to 1000 yards, very lightweight, and you cant beat a gas gun for the fast follow up shots on a dog. In the time it takes you to work the bolt, they will be LONG GONE.

Just thought I would mention an alternative.... You can get a bolt gun chambered in 6.5

3309852085_61fdc0d68e.jpg

I guess we should mention glass. Many people have purchased inexpensive glass (including me) only to get a replacement latter on. If you get a ranging reticle/target knobs you extend you range on any of the above calibers. High quality bullets will also extend your terminal ballistics. I know many people get high magnification glass but I try to stick high quality 3x9 or 3.5x10s on my rifles. But I like to hunt varmits and possibly bigger game with my rifles. In any case IMHO you'll save money in the long run if you get high quality glass, plus it'll make your experience much more enjoyable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugsly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive sent a lot of animals to the rainbow bridge with the 22-250. When we go to the desert its one of the first ones we take. We shoot 50gr Nosler B-Tips around 3900-4000fps. I dont believe you'll be unhappy with a 22-250 for anything from ground squirrels to coyotes. Dont get me wrong the .223 is a good round but the 22-250 just has that little extra. Its costs little more to shoot but you gota pay to play.

Just my thoughts,
    Kc </div></div>

x2 In popularity #1 is 22-250 and .223 not far behind.

There are likely more varmints shot at over 300 yards with a 22-250 than any other(caliber). The.223 is a good second choice but runs out of steam at over 300 yards. Keep in mind that much of this shooting is at somewhat unknown ranges(in the absence of a rangefinder)so a flat shooting cartrige with BT bullets helps. A 22-250 dosn't cost much more than a .223 if you reload and a barrel should last 3000(rounds) if you don't get stupid with the speed. You can usually set the barrel back once before you toss it completely. So its still cheap to shoot.

Over 3800 FPS mayby 1000 rounds before a gunsmith appointment is warranted.

With reloads you can throttle the 22-250 down to .223 speeds.

There is a huge range of bullets for the .22 not as many for the .243 and few in the .243 range that are true varmint bullets. Typically they will result in pelt damage.Important if you're shooting fur bearing animals and trying to defray your expenses.

If you're just starting out keep in mind that the range that you would shoot foxes, coyotes, etc can be from 25 meters to 3-400M. depending on terrain, wind, etc.

If gophers,etc. are your target then you have a smaller target to work with and flat shooting, drift resistant bullets are an advantage.

Go with a Rem 700 in 22-250 with a scope that can go down to 3X-4X because if you're calling animals in the action can be close and fast.

I have a .223 and .243. There is nothing that the .243 with a 55 gr. Nosler BT won't do that a .22-250 or .220 swift will. The .223 is great for volume fire and low recoil for fast follow ups as well as being cheaper to feed. I have always wanted to own a larger cap .22, but I don't see the need.

I've had bunches of high cap .22 cals
    22-250, 22-250AI, 223 WSSM, 244 TTH, blah blah... they were all fun.

I'd say the most outstanding cartridges for varmints ended up being the 243, 243 AI, 6mm RemAI and the 308.

The 6mm's were fast twist heavy bullets for longer ranges. Did a PD at 1521 yards with a 6X284... but...

I say the 308 cause I really lean heavy towards shoot one rifle for it all and learn it well, philosophy.

many prarie dogs, and song dogs took a beating from the 308 from 50 to well beyond 700 yards.

I don't think that a varmint rifle has to be a skinny caliber.

just my .02

I agree with Weda' comment: "I don't think that a varmint rifle has to be a skinny caliber."

I started varmint hunting with my 308 PSS. My 22-250 was supposed to be a donor rig for a hunting, do it all 308. But I broke the golden rule of don't shoot your donor rigs. The explosive "wap" the hits sounded back got me hooked on smaller calibers. I didn't get the same sound on the hits with my 308 with 125gr BT's. Heck any caliber works for varmint hunting. I just hope that I'm as pleased with my 243 as I am with my 22-250. Then I'd have my varmint/deer rig.

Big fan of 6mm's here so I'll vote for the Rem SPS varmint in .243 pushing 70 to 95 grain pills. I know 2 guys shooting 95 grain bergers in theirs w/ excellent results even in 600yd IBS stock competition. I have shot both the .223 and 22-250 for years on the coyotes but went to the 6's for added range and less spinners,,, will never go back but still use them in the prairie dog towns.

Don't have any experience with 243, but 22-250 is a great performer. Made a PD kill out to 500yd (I know, others have gone a lot further). Great for coyotes too. Also agree with keeping the power down on the optic. I have a 6.5-20 on mine, and while it is great for PD shooting, it is just a bit much for coyotes. Like mentioned before, the action can be in close and fast, and I've missed dogs before because my scope was not low enough on the power setting. I'd go for a compromise of 4.5-14X if I did it again.

Savage in 223 or 22-250. Inexpensive, accurate, excellent trigger and you can easily sell it when you decide to upgrade.

+1 on the .243. I like all 3 cartridges, killed chucks with all of them. The twist on my .243 wont let me get over 75gr bullets but it shoots everything else. 22-250 can be picky at times, and the .223 just runs out of steam for me. This being said my personal best groups at 100 and 200 have been with a 22-250. They all kill them just as dead.

25-06 is another option.

If you want to be able to use it for more than varmints, you may need to consider that some states won't allow .22 calibers for hunting certain game.

.223, .22-250, .243, .25-06, 6.5 Grendel, etc. will all kill varmints. All of these are excellent choices.

Here's the catch:

If the bullet doesn't hit the varmint, your hunting won't be very successful!

How bad is the wind where you are going to use this rifle? If the wind has been known to be even moderately bad at times, scratch all the .22's off the list!

The ultra high ballistic coefficients of .243, and 6.5 Grendel projectiles is the factor you need to consider.

From personal experience I can tell you that the 6mm 105-117 grain projectiles laugh at cross winds. I have shot the .243, the 6mmXC and the 6-6.5x47 Lapua cartridges loaded with these bullets and watched them run circles around the .223, the .22-250 and all .30 caliber cartridges <span style="font-weight: bold">when shooting in high cross winds!</span>

If I was choosing and I needed to have factory ammo, I'd buy a .243. Easy to find ammo that will nail any varmint out there.

If I was handloading I'd have a 6-6.5x47 Lapua built. Having a 6-6.5x47 Lapua rifle "built" can me as simple as having a 6mm barrel re-chambered for the 6-6.5x47 Lapua cartridge. By far, the best brass I have seen on the market plus a handloaders dream!

6-6.5x47 Lapua Uses 7 grains less of powder to get the same ballistics as the .243. That equates to much longer barrel life and better long term accuracy.

I sure miss having one of those ...

25-06
    http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=5&t=25cal
    100gr .393 BC Nosler Btip

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=5
    95gr .379 BC Nosler Btip

Just about the same BC.

And for shits and giggles. (because it's my cal choice)

.270 Win
    http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=5&t=270cal
    130gr .433 BC Nosler Btip.

.243 25-06 .270
    MV 3025 3220 3060

Vel@
    500 1893 2084 2046

200yrd Zero Drop at 500yrds
    -41.6 -35.5 -38.2
    Wind Drift @ 500yrds (10mph Xwind)
    23.0 20.1 19.4

Compare the factory Loadings from Federal for yourself: http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

If all you want to shoot is 200-300 and the wind is not a factor, there's nothing wrong with .223

If you want to extend it to 500, or you have wind go to .243

If you want to shoot across a field (>500yrds) or down a hollow at some lil critters, I'd go 25-06.

JMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Straw Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the high ballistic coefficient bullets going to open up when they hit? </div></div>

when shooting ground hogs and coyotes, those high ballistic coefficient bullets will do all the damage that is required!

When I was shooting the 105's-117's at 3000-3200 fps MV, I personally watched those bullets drop less than half the MOA that the M118LR (175 SMK loaded in a .308) did at 600 yards. Those bullets are still smoking fast at 600 yards. down right scary to see those being shot out of a standard short action rifle. No magnums or anything else, just great bullets being fired with excellent loads behind them.

Damn I miss that 6XC!
    cry.gif

I've had all three calibers. The 243 is my favorite so far for the smack down it puts on a critter that size. I had a lot of groundhogs crawling into the holes with my 223 past 300 yds. I haven't had one move from my 243 yet. They are either hit and dead or missed so far. I have the Remington SPS varmint in 243 and I can't say that I'm thoroughly impressed so far. It is being put to shame by my boss's Savage predator in 243. I've had to do all kinds of crap to mine to get it to shoot decent. He pulled his out of the box, scoped it, loaded it, and was grouping right away. This SPS may be my last Remington if this is how they are building them from now on. With duracoat job, trigger replacement, bolt knob, and whole stock trouble and aggrevation I have gone through, I'm just under $1K without optics or a decent stock. Whats a Savage Predator run, $600-$700? When I rebarrel I have to pay a smith, he can buy a $40 wrench and a $50 set of go-no-go guages and do it himself. I hate to say it, Savage may be a worthy alternative.

.223 40 gr moly v-max 3850 fps that's one of the best combo's i've found, through a heavy barreled savage

or

.308 110 gr moly vmax through the same make.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s-xander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got a rem 700 lvsf 22-250 for sale if interested shoot me a pm</div></div>

The LVSF in 22-250 may be THE perfect walking varmint rifle. I have had two and they both shot lights out!!

I thank you all For your help. But I'm going to have to lay off this project for some time. But i appreciate all of the help and good info.

Thanks again
    Joe

6mmbr or the 6mmAI shooting 75gr Vmax or the 87gr VMax, out to 600yards I would go with the 6mmbr and the 75grVmax with this set up the barrel will last a very long compared to a 6mmRem or 243! Buy a cheap Savage in a 243/308 (sell factory barrel and stock), order a Stockaid PDog stock install pillars and bed aciton, SSS trigger, McGowen 6mmbr 1;10 barrel, and you will have a semi custom gun that will out shoot any factory one!

I actually can't believe this... 44 responses and only one guy brings up the .204 Ruger in a post where someone wants a varmint rifle but has never shot a .223 or 22-250. To me the fun in varmint shooting is seeing the hit (or where you missed) and the big red splat. A 22-250 kicks to hard and doesn't allow you to see the fun. A .223 is nice, kinda like the missionary position, but is outperformed in both fun factor and ballisticly by the 204.

Have a look at the 204 Ruger over here RugerHunting.com

If you are dead set on a Remington, have a look at this model. Remington 700 Varmint SPS in 204 Ruger

While .22-250 is highly adequate, and .223 is adequate at least, each has its drawbacks.

The.22-250 often wrecks barrel throats prematurely, and .223 ammo and brass can be particularly hard to come by, especially the better stuff.

I would counsel consideration of the .222.

Greg

.243, .223 or .204 are my choices. I had the 6.5 Grendel and it was an excellent rifle, but the ammo was really expensive and nobody local carried it. Doesn't really matter now since all ammo is expensive.