• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanting to Buy - GI Cot or similar.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Planning a camping trip first weekend in October.

Anyone have some access to serviceable GI cots or know of a place with good ones?

Not looking to spend a ton, hoping it wont be covered with DNA.

Sorry guys didn't get notification there were answers to my question.

Byers looks nice but don't think they are made in US.

Kind of locked on to getting a milsurp cot.

Friend in Guard lent me one, trying to get a second.

image.jpg

Will be checking local surplus store but kind of interested in NIB.

Ebay has a gent in Alaska with NIB and I sent him a message but doubt he can get it from AK to MA before next week without breaking my bank

Did you know that an M16 barrel fits perfectly into the holes for the mosquito net stakes, for when you need to leverage the end rails over the side rails? To this day, I don't know if that changed my POI.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Did you know that an M16 barrel fits perfectly into the holes for the mosquito net stakes, for when you need to leverage the end rails over the side rails? To this day, I don't know if that changed my POI.

Did you know that a 72"×24"×4" piece of foam makes them a lot more comfortable?

I mean, they still suck ass, but a little padding doesn't hurt.

Reactions: Tortuga
    Got one of those milsurp foam sleeping pads, with a thermarest on top I can sleep pretty much anywhere. I can understand wanting to be off the ground though, used to use a hammock in the everglades. You don’t want to sleep in 2 feet of standing water in a swamp, and all kinds of horrible things would want to crawl on you or eat you.

Got one of those milsurp foam sleeping pads, with a thermarest on top I can sleep pretty much anywhere. I can understand wanting to be off the ground though, used to use a hammock in the everglades. You don’t want to sleep in 2 feet of standing water in a swamp, and all kinds of horrible things would want to crawl on you or eat you.
    How 'bout a raft in the middle of a river in the Everglades made of five canoes with boards on top and old jungle hammocks tied to a paddle on either end with sleeping bags inside? And you reeeally have to take a leak in the middle of the night...

Last edited:

Unsure if running a steel cleaning rod and bore brush on a half inch drill had adverse effects on lands and grooves either.

The requirement for cleanliness certainly didnt equate to proper functioning rifles.

Reactions: J-Ham

Generally I sleep on a thick thermarest right on the tent floor but realizing we have a Ranger SXS to use getting into the woods I figured on camping heavy.

Wife is crushing my dream though she thinks son should be going to school the two days I intended to take off.

This hybrid learning shit is BS.

My wife thinks its about educating kids.

Its about interupting middle class incomes, raising stress in the family and intended to create more decay in the fabric of our society.

Figured she would come around to taking the Thursday/Friday and let me roll it into Sat and Sun but she seems committed to having them in school those days.

He will never remember what he learns on those two days but he would have remembered a camp trip with twenty twos and revolvers for the rest of his life.

Reactions: RTH1800
    I have used Sgt. Troys Military Surplus before. I needed some bivy sacks in a hurry and they took care of me. I felt like the prices were good as well

Checked him out earlier. There is a great old school surplus shop in my AO I have to get time to check out as I imagine their products would be similar to his and I could choose my own. $55 is a great price though and I found a place that I can get all the plastic detail pieces which are usually the only things missing from these.

How 'bout one of these?

Cool. Wonder if they still hold air being folded all that time, has dry rot set in?

The SXS allows "luxury" I would generally never bring to the woods.

Having our own "beds" off the ground would be part of that.

Sucks but I don't think it's going to happen now anyway.

Lil offbase, I have a Slumberjack cot I’ve had 20yrs. Been to many Turkey camps with it. Great cot!!

My command tossed all of the GI cots we kept at our outlying sites and replaced them with Colman ComfortSmart Deluxe cots. One of the best quality of life moves they've made in a long time.

Borrowed two GI cots for the weekend...Co worker had one and local Guard Armory let me sign one out.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/glamping-2020.7032267/#post-8905061

They were big for the Kelty 4 tent we brought but did fit, next time we bring the REI 4.

Much better than sleeping on the floor. Only sucky thing was nylon Thermarest acting like a sled on the nylon cot surface. Probably add a rubber rug pad next trip to prevent the sliding.

The GI cots suck in their weightiness but having a machine to get to our camp made that a moot concern.

Things are built like a brick shithouse.

There is no easy way to get the second pole in but my carpenters cats paw worked best not having a spare pole to use. The online Youtube video suggestions to stand the cot vertical and use your foot and the leverage of the side to fit the last pin didnt work for me.

The suggested offering look good, cheaper by far, but the Chinesium prevents me from going there.

I was able to get one new in the box one off Ebay for $125. Problem with these is shipping. Lots on their for the $125 I want to pay but the shipping doubles the price.

Coworker thinks he has a second for me. Good to go for now unless wife and daughter decide to join us but they dont seem to excited about that.

Last edited:
    Unsure if running a steel cleaning rod and bore brush on a half inch drill had adverse effects on lands and grooves either.

The requirement for cleanliness certainly didnt equate to proper functioning rifles.

in 88 they moved us into new beq,s...
    6 months latter they had the chrome cleaned off the faucets

• Haha