• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanting to get into precision rifle shooting

jdknotts1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hello Sniper's Hide members! I'm an avid shooter and 3GN pro competitor wanting to get into the precision part of shooting. Looking for gear advice and do's and don'ts about starting out. Any help is very much appreciated!

Do the online training here. I don't know if lowlight still does it or its just the dvds now, but get it. If you don't have someone to personally take you under their wing and show you everything, the training is invaluable.

Also, magpul has a dvd set on long range shooting. It's a great watch and can further educate you on the subtleties on precision shooting.

As far as gear goes... You just need an accurate rifle with decent glass and your good to go. Caliber doesn't matter, until you have a precise goal (range wise). Even something like the trusty and common 308 will be plenty good enkugh for everything until you start going ultra long range. Everything else you can pick up as you go. We each like different gear, so there isn't any one size fits all. Harris makes good bipods for the money and atlas bipods are somewhat the golden standard. Many companies make great rear bags, my goto bag is a tab gear bag.

Good luck!

Thanks! I figure I'll go with the trusty R700 up front. And upgrade and/or modify it as I grow and learn. Optics I'll be looking at Leupold Mk4. I hear they have a pretty good LE/Mil program for great prices. And I've trusted their stuff hunting for many years.
I have a couple pretty good friends that will show me at least the basics. But I will def look into the MagPul video.
Thanks for the tips! I'm psyched to get started

HI JD. I'm just getting into precision rifles myself. Sounds like you have a good plan to start your build.

I also went with the Remington 700. Mine was a 700 tactical 308 w/ a 20in barrel. Theres just about every upgrade you can imagine out there for the Remington.

You might want to look on youtube at LoneWolfUSMC's vids. He has a budget precision build that has a lot of good info for people starting out, and tons of product reviews like scopes, stocks, etc. He might have even reviewed the scope you're looking at.

Another is TiborasaurusRex. He has a very in depth series that he calls sniper 101. He covers just about everything that relates to precision shooting.

Good with your build!!

HI JD. I'm just getting into precision rifles myself. Sounds like you have a good plan to start your build.

I also went with the Remington 700. Mine was a 700 tactical 308 w/ a 20in barrel. Theres just about every upgrade you can imagine out there for the Remington.

You might want to look on youtube at LoneWolfUSMC's vids. He has a budget precision build that has a lot of good info for people starting out, and tons of product reviews like scopes, stocks, etc. He might have even reviewed the scope you're looking at.

Another is TiborasaurusRex. He has a very in depth series that he calls sniper 101. He covers just about everything that relates to precision shooting.

Good with your build!!

Thanks for the tips. I dig getting info from youtube. A lot of resources on there.

You don`t need exspensive equip. To start........ And a good 22 to use a trainer is well worth it.....

I don't mind spending the money on quality stuff out of the gate. I've always figured when you buy quality, if you don't like it, you can easily flip it minus the small rental fee. I'm working a gig at the moment for OT and will have a budget of $3k to get started.

Watched some of his movies at work tonight. Great info. He's a little wacky but how many of us aren't? lol

Still looking for a rifle if anyone has any ideas. I'm only seeing what's on here. I know there are a lot of smoke poles out there people want to get rid of.

Just get yourself behind a 308, a 700 with a 12 twist is a great start. The scope you picked sounds great, trigger time, trigger time and trigger time. Learn your weapon, completely. Push it hard to its limits, learn to reload if not? Then federal and black hills will give you great results 168gr. Up too 1k, accessories are great(stock, base and rings, trigger pull, muzzle brake, inch pounds, SAND BAGS. Practice proper shooting skills. Only you will know where you stand, in this game? Hands on is key! Know your weapon! I could not express that enough.. Once you are at a point where you are complete then and only then stay at that platform with the best that the market offers. Or move on with the same outlook.. Just my 2 behind a factory rig to top notch ish.. You are the only defining factor behind that shot. No matter what!

Just get yourself behind a 308, a 700 with a 12 twist is a great start. The scope you picked sounds great, trigger time, trigger time and trigger time. Learn your weapon, completely. Push it hard to its limits, learn to reload if not? Then federal and black hills will give you great results 168gr. Up too 1k, accessories are great(stock, base and rings, trigger pull, muzzle brake, inch pounds, SAND BAGS. Practice proper shooting skills. Only you will know where you stand, in this game? Hands on is key! Know your weapon! I could not express that enough.. Once you are at a point where you are complete then and only then stay at that platform with the best that the market offers. Or move on with the same outlook.. Just my 2 behind a factory rig to top notch ish.. You are the only defining factor behind that shot. No matter what!
Go with a 10 twist. Absolutely no reason not to. Shoots the light bullets just as well, but more likely to shoot the heavies better.( with no stabilization issues)

one don't is getting an expensive rifle thinking it will make you shoot better, also rem 700s are good to start with because you get chassis that have the feel of and ar-15 so it will feel somewhat familiar but if you really want a one time rifle a dta srs is a good choice it comes in all the calibers you need. A good thing to remember is your "budget" since not everyone can afford a 5k rifle with a s&b scope with a suppressor.

Go with a 10 twist. Absolutely no reason not to. Shoots the light bullets just as well, but more likely to shoot the heavies better.( with no stabilization issues)
Sure 10 twist is a great idea.. I thought a SPS in a 12 will keep him in budget and give him time behind the trigger without confusion.

I'm an avid shooter and 3GN pro competitor wanting to get into the precision part of shooting.
You wouldn't happen to be currently ranked #23 in 3GN Pro Series, would you? 3-Gun Nation > Pro Series > Leader Board (Pro) It's great to have some shooters from other variations of the sport come onto here. A big welcome to you!

I recommend Zak Smith's articles as well as LoneWolf's and Lowlight's videos. PRACTICAL LONG-RANGE RIFLE SHOOTING - PART I: THE RIFLE & GEAR While it's a few years old, it lays out a lot of the equipment needs and requirements necessary to get yourself rolling. Your idea to start off with a R700 is a good and solid one (I recommend a 5R), but also keep your eyes on the For Sale forums as well for a bargain on a rifle with all the action truing done already at a good bargain. Also, Leupold has a great MIL/LEO sales division to get you started off right, but watch their reticle/knob selections... They like to mix mil and moa a bit much still. Look for M5 knobs and a TMR reticle to get you rolling, and I highly recommend going with a FFP reticle.

You have a lot of research ahead of you... Enjoy it!

Welcome to the Hide!

You wouldn't happen to be currently ranked #23 in 3GN Pro Series, would you? 3-Gun Nation > Pro Series > Leader Board (Pro) It's great to have some shooters from other variations of the sport come onto here. A big welcome to you!

That is me! I've always had a fascination about precision shooting. And now that I'm getting more involved with the shooting sports, I want to expand.

And I'm torn at the moment on what to buy. I know it's probably wise to start small, but I hate outgrowing things too quick and needing to upgrade early. And I figure by the time I have a R700 set up the way I want, I will have enough money invested in it I should've just gone with a custom...

jd if your not afraid to spend the money as i assume being a pro shooter you know whats involved, i would just say contact george at GAP, Terry at KMW, Wade at Surgeon and talk to them about options. Any one of those companies can give you a purpose built gun built the right way and talk you through why you would want each option. i know GAP has about 15 different guns ready to ship right now on their page, about 60 percent of which are PERFECT comp guns ready to go.

Hello Sniper's Hide members! I'm an avid shooter and 3GN pro competitor wanting to get into the precision part of shooting. Looking for gear advice and do's and don'ts about starting out. Any help is very much appreciated!

Hey jd - if you're a 3GN pro you've probably been to Peacemaker....see one of us in the HQ and if you have any questions about where to start we can help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

That is me! I've always had a fascination about precision shooting. And now that I'm getting more involved with the shooting sports, I want to expand.

And I'm torn at the moment on what to buy. I know it's probably wise to start small, but I hate outgrowing things too quick and needing to upgrade early. And I figure by the time I have a R700 set up the way I want, I will have enough money invested in it I should've just gone with a custom...

I would start with what you're wanting to shoot. I don't come from the school of "start with a 308 and learn it then move to another caliber". I think you should shoot what caliber you feel is best suited for what you're are planning on doing with it. If that's a 308 then great, 6.5 also is great, and 6mm will get it done also. I would suggest getting behind as many different rifles as possible and finding out your likes and dislikes of each. Build it right the first time and have fun learning the caliber you chose. At K&M, we have rental guns that are on multiple different platforms that you are more than welcome to try and may help you with your desicion. I personal run a 6cm but that's just me. Let me know when and I'll be more than happy to have you out for a day of shooting and let you try everything from a Manners, Sentinel, Rock Solid, XLR, AX stocked rifle in a 6cm, 6.5cm, 308, 6.5 4s. We also have Bushnell, Nightforce, Vortex, and S&B scopes to look through. Nothing worse than wasting money on something you don't like.

There are a lot of really great rifle for sale in the FS Section of the site, really the question of a precision rifle comes down to "Time & Budget" .

Do you have the time to wait, (average about 10 months) and do you have the money, (average around $3500) for a solid rifle.

You can go with a budget rifle, starting with a Remington 700 of some type and drop it in a chassis, then add a scope and be close to that $3500 mark, but as a pro shooter you'll soon move past this set up. So start with a better build.

There are off the shelf options that are excellent, Accuracy International AE, SAKO TRG, which can be around the price of a custom build for about the same money, but less time to get. (buy it now)

Then you can start understanding, the longer the range you shoot, the more effects come into play. It's not like a handgun, (you know this) where you point it, the bullet does not end up. So there are classes and lessons available for little cost.

The Sniper's Hide Online Training Section is only $10 a month, we have a ton of lessons in there and add new ones every month. It's a bargain. In the last 30 days we added over 30 minutes of video all on recoil management alone for that same $10, plus you have access to all the back lessons.

Rifles are easy, any top brand, GAP, KMW, Surgeon, etc, on here are worthy considerations. The for sale section as noted is very popular and full of great rifles without the wait.

I thought with the user name and knowing 3-Gun Pro being a small group, it wouldn't be too hard to figure it out! Good to have you here.

You're justifiably torn on the stock vs. custom decision as well. The resale percentage on a trued R700 doesn't match what you will get for a custom rig as you trade up, but the return on investment for training purposes is. For your budget of $3000, I would be looking for a trued R700 used but with a good barrel, a used Bushnell 3-21x scope, and the rest on a few accessories and ammo. For caliber I would go with what you have available with brass and do your load development for it. A .308 is a good start and will help you learn your wind calls if you need help with that, but I don't see much wrong with stepping into a 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 right off for a wind cheater and dabble with a rimfire for wind calls. A .243 is another good start as well.

Or you can say "screw it" and calls the guys at GAP!

Hey jd - if you're a 3GN pro you've probably been to Peacemaker....see one of us in the HQ and if you have any questions about where to start we can help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

I've been there many times. Great range and it's only 1.5hrs away. I will most likely be getting a membership there once I get my setup.

I would start with what you're wanting to shoot. I don't come from the school of "start with a 308 and learn it then move to another caliber". I think you should shoot what caliber you feel is best suited for what you're are planning on doing with it. If that's a 308 then great, 6.5 also is great, and 6mm will get it done also. I would suggest getting behind as many different rifles as possible and finding out your likes and dislikes of each. Build it right the first time and have fun learning the caliber you chose. At K&M, we have rental guns that are on multiple different platforms that you are more than welcome to try and may help you with your desicion. I personal run a 6cm but that's just me. Let me know when and I'll be more than happy to have you out for a day of shooting and let you try everything from a Manners, Sentinel, Rock Solid, XLR, AX stocked rifle in a 6cm, 6.5cm, 308, 6.5 4s. We also have Bushnell, Nightforce, Vortex, and S&B scopes to look through. Nothing worse than wasting money on something you don't like.

Interesting how small of a community this is. Aaron Cordle recommended you guys on my Fan Page just last night. He said you guys run a top notch facility. I may have to make a trip down there. I will look into that directly.

Or you can say "screw it" and calls the guys at GAP!

This....
[MENTION=88757]jdknotts1[/MENTION] Grab your old, used up, Rem 700 and send the barreled action out to GAP over the Winter. Have them true, chamber, barrel, thread, cerakote, and tune the trigger and ship back to you. I would consider the .308, .260Rem or 6.5Creedmoor - do your homework on these calibers. While you're waiting for the barreled action, find yourself a decent stock or chassis. My favorites are B&C, Manners or McMillan for traditional stock...or pick any of the chassis systems. My personal favorite right now is a Manners stock with the DBM mini-chassis. You should have everything back from GAP in 6months...just in time for the season....at this time put it in the stock and go shoot.

This is an economical way of getting a good rifle that WILL shoot. If you can out shoot this rifle, you can consider going full custom...

Looks like Beretta has really good prices for armorers of their products. I may be going with a Sako TRG-22 with a 26" chambered in .308. Everything I am reading about it is positive. And the fact you don't see too many for sale is an indicator that people tend to hold onto them.
Anyone have any experience with this platform? I would like some feedback because I'm ready to "drop the hammer" and get started.

TRGs have a strong fan following, just like Accuracy International does. You can't go wrong with one, that's for sure, but I hope that discount is extended to accessories as well for you. That's the kicker of a TRG.