• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

War of the Worlds (2020)

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    So I’m stuck home because my customer has put us on rotating shifts… One week on one week off...

interestingly, i’m watching a remake of war of the worlds…

One of the funniest aspects of the entire series is that it takes by a place in France and Britain, and they don’t have guns. (Unless you’re part of the security services were basically all dead.)

i’m waiting for them to show the United States as this becomes largely a ground war after the initial attack. So the civilians in Europe are basically screwed because they don’t have any way to arm themselves. Bahahahaha... even NaziFornia would be able to do a lot of damage to an invading force

What i hate about Hollywood is even their movies about shtf scenarios (zombies, invading force, whatever) is even americans are typically lacking firepower and reluctant to pick up a gun, but of course forced to eventually and then become proficient in short time. But still dont like the gun. Take The Walking Dead for example. They get i to these colonies and the higher ups want to secure all the guns and unarm its “citizens” to keep everyone safe. Bitch! You have zombies, ZOMBIES!!! They want to chew yer face off, give your people some damn weapons! You ask me for my shit in a time like that and im shooting you first. Dumbasses.

What i hate about Hollywood is even their movies about shtf scenarios (zombies, invading force, whatever) is even americans are typically lacking firepower and reluctant to pick up a gun, but of course forced to eventually and then become proficient in short time. But still dont like the gun. Take The Walking Dead for example. They get i to these colonies and the higher ups want to secure all the guns and unarm its “citizens” to keep everyone safe. Bitch! You have zombies, ZOMBIES!!! They want to chew yer face off, give your people some damn weapons! You ask me for my shit in a time like that and im shooting you first. Dumbasses.

True that, but I have noticed a new trend...

In these movies you see the heavily armed antagonist (group) defeated by the protagonist (group) who is armed with nothing but grandpas good ole wood stock bolt action rifle. Especially in newer movies... with the exception of series offshoots like terminator 12 or rambo 15.

I have pointed this to my wife who is in agreement and that it is just not a figment of my autism tendencies.

Reactions: Jgunner
    still think the tp running out is a bigger story and would make for a funnier movie ....
    the day the world stood still as 6.something billion people on earth realized they had to take a crap and there was not toilet paper left and the panic that ensued ..

I am invested in watching it too,

It's really slow and driving me crazy as none of them have a sense of urgency,

The last episode was the best and still when the kid said his sister has insight the Doctor (Gabriel Byrne) was like okay, that is cool we'll ask her later. I would be like WTF, get her here now to answer this shit

It's super grey color-wise, but it has potential

Dude, I was in the Air Force and have exactly ZERO infantry training, but you can bet you ass I'd start assigning roles and forming up squads, etc.

Reactions: Lightning8
    I am invested in watching it too,

It's really slow and driving me crazy as none of them have a sense of urgency,

The last episode was the best and still when the kid said his sister has insight the Doctor (Gabriel Byrne) was like okay, that is cool we'll ask her later. I would be like WTF, get her here now to answer this shit

It's super grey color-wise, but it has potential
    100%

"i hear a strange noise"...dont bother telling the person next to you your leaving or watch out i heard something...just walk away

i like the show but that stuff is wearing on me

It's a bit confusing too because the robot dogs are acting so weird, not when they were rudderless walking in circles, but in attack mode

They can fire a projectile, but they never showed it, however the few times they show it up close the "gun" is a plunger and kills by contact not shooting. That confuses me a bit, are they just saving ammo when not needed, it's efficient for sure, but they have been under attack by projectiles and have yet to show it

If only the had a sniper with AP/Explosive ammo... I think its time for you to get your agent to make a call Frank! ;)

Seriously

it's in France they can get RUAG 338LM Raufoss rounds LOL

Another weird thing with the robots, they were standing over one doing mag dumps and then a single round takes it down. Hopefully, they clarify there is a sweet spot to shoot them.

The woman killed one with a single shot, the French Army dumped a mag standing next to it, (insert joke)

Like I said it has potential but they need to get detailing stuff they are showing on repeat without dragging it out every 3 episodes to answer a single question. Like the robot gun, the little girl in the store vs rapey brother took two episodes to imply how they operate.

The Blonde Cop part was cool though they managed that in one episode

I have to catch up on the series. It was kind of slow going there for the first number of episodes...does it pick up?

Only a little,

Out of the hour, there are probably 5 minutes of new and interesting discoveries. It's a lot of build-ups and very slow going.

I was surprised to see it's only an 8 episode season, so there is that the underlying concept is good, just taking a while to get there.

If they actually made it anywhere, how would they get you to “tune in next week?”That said, there is a happy medium between tying each episode off with a neat bow, and dragging for no reason other than “we’ve gotta make this last the whole season...” Some semblance of reality and common sense is a nice surprise, but I sure don’t expect it from the writing in the entertainment industry.

Reminds me of the Geico commercial...

“Let’s hide in the attic.”
    “No, the basement.”
    “Why can’t we get in the running car?”
    “Are you crazy? Let’s hide behind the chainsaws.”

• Haha
    Reactions: Shooter McGavin
    They seem to use vagueness rather than proper character development....lazy writing.

How many blank stares can someone in your group have before you grab them and interrogate the shit out of them to see what’s going on.

If it was a 15 episode series I’d prob have quit

but it’s pretty good and I’m in to deep to give up.

LOL, that is exactly it.

I do like that one group is trying to make it to the UK, the guy and girl with Sleeper Agent Kid makes sense he is trying to find his family and it makes just as much sense in a real sort of way that his family is just moving around the same block so he can find them.

Gabriel Byrne is annoying me, I get it he is a scientist and made a few discoveries but there is no urgency in his work. I was sort of surprised with the wife last night, felt her arc had potential.

It's does make it more realistic, but that same writing keeps it slow. The group at the satellite array is making the most progress and doing stuff, but they are still small and isolated so it's not resonating beyond them.

I think a bigger brand Scifi Producer would have shifted each discovery into overdrive, but each discovery has been hollow, for like 3 episodes we learned they are collecting DNA and yet, nothing to expand that revelation

My grand father used to talk about it.
    Some people were out in the street in Brooklyn staring up at the sky.

He said everybody had the radio pointing out the windows listening

I tried looking up more on the robot dogs,

it's bugging me how they shoot and what sucks is there is next to no information out there on them?

With the internet, etc, you think there would be a breakdown support page or something beyond the cast.

Apparently there is a very similar robot in Black Mirror, episode MetalHead and there is a discussion on that, a breakdown of that robot. I just don't know aside from looks how similar they are?

My main problem is them shooting stuff I never see where they shoot from and the plunger in the face does not appear to be the gun, as they have to deploy it to use it. So why not just shoot them up close vs getting face to face to use the cow killer? This bothers me, so inquiring minds want to know more about this plot device.

Why not an identical follow-on attack to mop up surviving humans?

i started watching it, but gave up around ep. 4. i might try again if it is getting better.

Lazy writing...Strikes again.

Never mind the proximity the loss of situational awareness from target fixation is foolish...

Unless the plunger is taking samples back to home base looking for specific markers.

But we havnt seen that