• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

War War II three gun match

Three

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2008
Oak Point Texas
Has any one in the Dallas-Ft Worth area thought about having a WW-II three-gun match? I think a few years ago there was a similar type match in College Station area and I missed it. Food for thought...what do yall think.

Three

Re: War War II three gun match

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">meesa thinkin luger, M1, bazooka? </div></div>

May as well consider a combo with a flame thrower...
grin.gif

Pistol, rifle, maybe shogun, in peroid dress, and maybe add grenade toss in as well would be cool.

Now THAT sounds like a good time!! I'd go with 1) a 1911 (my Remington Rand); 2) Thompson (just because I don't own a period-correct/replica shotgun that I could use); and 3) M1 Garand!

I would be considering something .38/9mm, an M1 carbine, and a contemporary 12ga pump guun (Win '97 repro?) with downloaded #4 buck loads. If there's a sniper round, an '03 or M1917 with '06 handloads employing 135gr. SMK's could probably handle anything out to 500yd rather adequately.

While I simply adore the 1911 and M1 Garand, they are a bit more gun than I'd really be lookin' forward to for a run-n-gun. Since the above can probably also qualify; I don't see a lot of compelling reasons to be goin' 'full tilt boogy'.

Greg

Come on, Greg!! Full Tilt Boogie is half the fun of 3-Gun!!! Maybe we'd need a "Heavy Metal" division like other 3-Gun matches so that crazies like me can run .45s, etc. and not have to compete with the .38/9mm (sit-down-to-pee) crowd.
wink.gif

All joking of course!! That's the beauty of most 3-Gun macthes I have been involved in...plenty of different "ways" to compete and still be competitive while having a BLAST...both literally and figuratively!

I've had great fun 'doin the boogie', but my full tilt days have come and gone.

Old and crafty beats young and eager in my book. Actually, it beats me more; but bein' beat is not the end of my world. Good thing, too. I've had enough of winning for a lifetime, and I'm rather more just along for the ride these days.

Works just fine for me...

Greg

Yep...I know exactly what you mean. My Dad, after multiple neck and back surgeries over the last 10 years is more than happy to leave the full tilt days behind him and enjoy other pursuits with his shooting. He still competes and has a lot of success doing it, but no more "heavy recoiling" rifles or shotguns of any kind or he's miserable for weeks on end afterward. He still shoots IDPA with a .45acp, in his words, "Because I still can, damnit!"
wink.gif

The important part of our sports is not so much in the "how" you are doing it, but in the act of just getting out and DOING IT!

I don't have a WWII era shot gun, but I did shoot multi gun (two gun) matches with a Carbine and usgi 1911a1

My next event will be a WWI event, using a Mosin and Nagant pistol (my rapid reloads is gonna such, but I'm gonna have fun).

CMP ought to get involved in this.

Why not just shoot heavy metal at a regular 3 gun match.

Pump 12ga, 45 pistol limited to 10 rounds, and a 308 or larger rifle with iron sights only

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not just shoot heavy metal at a regular 3 gun match.

Pump 12ga, 45 pistol limited to 10 rounds, and a 308 or larger rifle with iron sights only </div></div> I have been planning to try this sometime soon. 1911, M1 Garand, and a Winchester 1912.

Heavy metal is fun but its nothing like using historic guns like an M1 Garand. I think a WWII three gun match is a great idea.
Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskapopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heavy metal is fun but its nothing like using historic guns like an M1 Garand. I think a WWII three gun match is a great idea.
Pat </div></div>

I think Outsy was suggesting that you could just use the WWII era firearms (1911, some sort of WWII acceptable shotgun, and the Garand) for the standard 3-gun matches instead of the more modern firearm equivalents (and not have to have a specific WWII 3-gun match). I don't see that being a problem or otherwise running afoul of the rules...actually, it would be a hell of a lot of fun (not sure how competitive you'd be at the end of the day, but who cares).

Sounds like an interesting idea for a competition but....

You'd have to find space for the 3-second snaps on the "Hun's Head" target

HunsHead_Fig14.jpg

....shame you can't fit in a bonus or extra round on SMG's....Sten, Thompson, MP40, PPSH
wink.gif

I'm diggn' this.
I'm out tacticooled by those rich cats and out gunned by Sommers/Long.
Maybe they won't like vintage.

Already have a Garand that shoots better than me.
Easy to get a 1911A1.
My dad was a battle field recovery armorer in the European Theater and he never said anything about anyone using a shotgun. What about that bidnes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dad was a battle field recovery armorer in the European Theater and he never said anything about anyone using a shotgun. What about that bidnes? </div></div>

Winchester M97 Pump (Browning's 1897 design...this was THE shotgun in terms of most numbers IIRC)
Winchester M12 Trench Pump
Remington M31 Pump
Remington M11 Autoloader
Stevens M620A Pump
Ithaca M37 Pump

I'm sure I am missing some (or may have my details a little "fuzzy"), but those are the "basics" from some of the searching I've been doing. I am really digging this whole idea too, Casey!!
wink.gif

pistol-easy enough, luger, 1911, nambu, with sub category with revolvers M1917, type 26 JAP, 1895 Mosin

Rifles- M1 would dominate but maybe a handicapp or point equilizer if usin a bolt gun 1903, 03A3, K98, 91-30

shotguns- see list ORD posted

maybe a side match usin the SMG's?

be fun as all hell, i'd dress up in my best upom outfit

Three,

I just want to make sure that you are aware of the acronym, WWI, WWII, and possibly so on. It is "World War", just to make sure you are on par with what the acronym stands for. Hope that helps.

Sounds fun.

-Ninja

You just had to post that didn't you?

Now I got to buy one to go with my 1917 Enfield and USGI 1911 for local three gun matches.

I wonder what bayonet it uses, if I remember right the trench guns used the one for the 1917.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a little tune-up, these are fun and fast to shoot without worry of beating up a valuable relic:

http://www.iacshotguns.com/99t.html </div></div>

Man, if that wasn't made by Norinco, I'd have one on its way to me right now.

Off to Gunbroker to be shocked by original Win 97 prices...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Three,

I just want to make sure that you are aware of the acronym, WWI, WWII, and possibly so on. It is "World War", just to make sure you are on par with what the acronym stands for. Hope that helps.

Sounds fun.

-Ninja </div></div>

war war is my pet peave, and did i hear someone say shogun as a third weapon...you talkin samurai on armor and katana? mountainous dojo ftw, yo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pistol-easy enough, luger, 1911, nambu, with sub category with revolvers M1917, type 26 JAP, 1895 Mosin

Rifles- M1 would dominate but maybe a handicapp or point equilizer if usin a bolt gun 1903, 03A3, K98, 91-30

shotguns- see list ORD posted

maybe a side match usin the SMG's?

be fun as all hell, i'd dress up in my best upom outfit </div></div>

There is always M1 carbines and G43's that are semi auto also, but I doubt there are that many G43's laying around...

Ran a 2-gun match with an FN49 and 1911 once, for the hell of it...doing a 3-gun with Garand, 1911, and Winchester would certainly earn massive style points over the hordes of AR weenies.
wink.gif

Hearing a bunch of Garand pinkin' all around me would be awesome