• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warm Packable Coat

MtGoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
Middleton, Idaho
Looking for a WARM coat for use when hunting. It needs to be packable(compressable) and fairly light weight. I do not plan to wear it while hunting (walking/climbing) but when stopped and glassing need something as I sweat like a stuck pig when climbing in the pre-dawn darkness and freeze my backside off when daylight comes and I stop to glass for game. I hunt in the Idaho mountains and it can be anywhere from 20 below to 70 degrees. I usually hunt at tree line or higher which is 8000 to 9000 feet. I will have a gortex shell so it does not have to be water proof. I am assuming down but are there better alternatives these days. I currently try to squeeze down a NorthFace expedition parka (they call it my sleeping bag
smile.gif
) but am looking for something more compressible. Any suggestions.

Are The North Face, Marmot, and Mountain Hardware still the top dogs when it comes to warm down coats or are there smaller custom outfits that can stuff alot of down in a small area????

Thanks
Pat

Re: Warm Packable Coat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are The North Face, Marmot, and Mountain Hardware still the top dogs when it comes to warm down coats or are there smaller custom outfits that can stuff alot of down in a small area????
Thanks
Pat </div></div>
Not even close. Take a look at Integral Designs Dolomitti.
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=696&CFID=2141340&CFTOKEN=83054669

Used it for years in Alaska from -40 to around freezing.

If you want superior warmth for weight in down:

Western Mountaineering has no equal, period but they cost a shiny penny, made in the USA too.
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...ckets-and-Vests

Feathered Friends is another high end down but I have not used them as much as WM. I know their bags have less down and less loft for a given rating when compared to WM.

Pat,

No one ever called mine a "sleeping bag", but did refer to me as "Michelin Man".
smile.gif

Go with goose down, and ensure it really is goose down fill. The only down-side (no pun intended) is getting wet. North Face used to advertise "watch out for cheap copies that use feathers, not true goose down".

I use an old North Face (made in the USA) down parka - I'm 6-2 and it covers my butt. It has a light-weight rip-stop shell, detatchable hood, and packs into a small bag (6"D x 9"L). Due to the down fill and light shell, if it's wet or I'm in the sticks, I always use a Gore-Tex parka for an outer shell.

Synthetic fills will not compress like down. I can't vouch for new North Face stuff, but this NF parka and NF down vest have been with me for almost 40 yrs and vever failed.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks
Pat </div></div>
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=696&CFID=2141340&CFTOKEN=83054669

Western Mountaineering has no equal, period but they cost a shiny penny, made in the USA too.

Feathered Friends is another high end down but I have not used them as much as WM. I know their bags have less down and less loft for a given rating when compared to WM. </div></div>

The Dolomitti is sort of what I had in mind until I saw that it was not down. Is Primaloft that good at insulating? My concern with down is that my layers will be wet from sweat and have the very real issue of transferring the water into the down which would then freeze. It would not dry out for a week of hunting so possibly Primaloft would be better if it insulates well even when "wet" (damp from perspiration).

Pat

have you considered somrthing from snugpak ? they do lightweight compressable warm jackets , we use them for layering up after coming in from patrols when you are sweaty and now must likely to come down with hypothermia.

Ive been using cold weather clothing from WildThings out of NH for a few years now..Its by far the best cold weather clothing ive ever used..They primarily use Nextec fabric and primaloft insulation. Its extremely warm and packs very tiny..The Nextec fabric is very water and wind resistant but very breathable unlike Goretex..The quality, design and durability of their gear is the best ive used.They're gear has been standard issue to most alpine special forces around the world the years and their designs show it.Its not cheap but the best never is.
http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wild-things/men-s.html

You hit on the major problem with down.

You probably know all this, but I'll review so you can understand how I arrived at MY solution...

I'm assuming you're wearing a decent polyester based wicking under and/or mid-layer. Once you stop, your body is still trying to shed heat. But now you're not moving, so you're not creating BTU's. So you need insulation, but you're still sweating. It's during this transitional time that you ask everything from your technical wear. And this is where down is not at it's best. As you've already stated, moisture soaked down is next to useless. People have frozen to death in moist down jackets.

The solution I've come up with may not be as packable, but it's very flexible. The minute you stop, put on a 200 or 300 wt. fleece w/ pit zips and a waist cinch (fleece will insulate when wet, and breathes so you can shed moisture). Use those and the Goretex shell to manage your moisture output/heat retention. The first 15 minutes are the most critical and highly variable and you'll have to really pay attention to how wet you're getting as well as how cold. The Goretex will keep moisture in (yeah, yeah, it breathes... sure. whatever. sorry, breathes is a *relative* term), so should ONLY be used if it's windy (and probably STILL open those pit zips!).

Once you start to stabilize, IF you're starting to get cold, put on an outer layer of a med. wt. down or primaloft jacket. The down will pack down tighter and if you've managed the first transition phase well, will not get wet. The primaloft is far more forgiving with regard to moisture, so if you are not paying close enough attention to getting dry would be the better bet.

The combo of a wicking base, med. to heavy fleece mid and med. down or primaloft outer, coupled with a good shell, gives you the flexibility to go from active to sitting, -10 or 20 to + whatever.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks
Pat </div></div>

Feathered Friends is another high end down but I have not used them as much as WM. I know their bags have less down and less loft for a given rating when compared to WM. </div></div>

The Dolomitti is sort of what I had in mind until I saw that it was not down. Is Primaloft that good at insulating? My concern with down is that my layers will be wet from sweat and have the very real issue of transferring the water into the down which would then freeze. It would not dry out for a week of hunting so possibly Primaloft would be better if it insulates well even when "wet" (damp from perspiration).
Pat </div></div>

For clothing in the backcountry, I prefer a synthetic insulation. Do not want to get into an advertisement but Primaloft 1 is actually the only synth that rivals down for weight to warmth. The problem is, it requires a scrim to hold it, just like down has baffles adding more weight than downs baffles. Primaloft actually repels moisture, all other synth still absorb some moisture. I hate tests but in tests weighing dry synth and then soaking them in water, Primaloft gains virtually no weight by water, water does get trapped between the fibers. Every other synth will gain a good amount of water weight. It was designed for the military in the 80s and has not changed since while all other synth change year to year trying to emulate it. There is now Primaloft Sport or 2 that is made for footwear and other soft goods. It is heavier with less warmth.

The other problem Primaloft has, it does not feel and look as warm as it is. Laying my 20 primaloft bag next to a TNF, MH, you name the other manufacture, the Primaloft bag looks and feels less warmth, it is hard to grasp how warm for the weight it is.

Give Evan a ring at ID, he has a thick South African accent, he will stitch a Dolomitti up in camo if you ask. You can get long apex index, like me, I wear medium chest but require a large in the arms. Try that with any other manufacture.

By law, 550 down can contain up to 20% feathers. There is really no down much loftier than 850 because, once you get to 850 the actual weight of the down will start to compress on itself decreasing loft or staying around 850. It basically comes down to how the down is prepped. Many companies abuse down so it loses its natural oils and loft before sewing into a product.

I always let my body cool itself after working hard before donning heavier clothing. Wearing G-tex and its likes during hard exertion will cause flash off causing the body to cool and chill. This is where microfibers / soft shells have become very popular. The Scottish have been wearing soft shells forever and only recently have the rest of the world known or understood their concept.

When John Bachourd still owned WildThings, I talked to him quite often and we discussed many things. Once Titoune / Marie and John got a divorce. Yes John was stupid with his midlife crisis, I still used WT but last run of clothing I received was off in their pattern. The EP jacket is an exceptional jacket, not quite as warm as the Dolomitti but much lighter and less warm. WT Belay jacket maybe a little warmer than the Dolomitti but does not pack down as small and is heavier. WT Makalu was considered the warmest parka on the planet at one time. I had one.

If you worry about packing size, get an ID silnylon compression sack and stuff your Dolomitti down real small.

I rambled on but hope this helps.

I have two ID compression "blocks" that shipped today.

I have e-mails out on the Dolomitti, waiting for a response.

If the medium or small compressions sacks work and they fit in my pack I may just go with my Michellin man coat for this year and get what I "want" instead of what is available.

Thanks
Pat

TAG

Hey Pat,

I just remembered something I read over the weekend while sitting in my personal library/den...........okay, my bathroom.
wink.gif
It was in the new Eddie Bauer Men's Fall catalog.

Warning/disclaimer: Depending on your age, this link may or may not cause flashbacks of when you were big pimpin back in the 70's...hahahahaha!

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/p...~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=y

-Pat

I've got a Patagonia DAS Parka which I really like, although it's rarely cold enough to warrant it, unless I'm up high in the mountains.
They're a synthetic fill, warmth wise it's more or less on par with down. Only perhaps a touch heavier for the same insulation value. And it compresses well into it's own stuff sack. Mine's an XL & when in it's bag I'd say it takes up about a liter of space. Not much bigger than a Foster's Lager Oil-Can.
The catch(es) being that the shell fabric's real thin, & not at all quiet if one's moving. Both brush, & stalking are no, no's.

Size wise, they're pretty generously cut. More or less a size larger than what the tag says, purposefully, as they're designed to throw on over one's other mountain attire when sitting on belay. I often throw mine on over a couple of layers of fleece, or a fleece vest & my wool hunting jacket, & it fits well. Works without the layers underneath too.

Mine's "Alpha Green", which is a flat OD color. And I snagged it on sale on Patagonia's website, & you'll see them on ebay too. Plus, sometimes at the various Patagonia outlets. Including the one in Dillon, MT which you can call & they'll dig around for what's on your wish list, rapidly, in real time, while you wait. Nice folks.

Here's what they look like.
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-das-parka-special?p=19035-1-984

On my second Marmot Down Coat
First lasted about 20 years.
Great coat and company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kifaru also makes a good coat. </div></div>

http://kifaru.net/PackLock_clothing2009.html

While I have no experience with their coats I do have a Doobie - I used it, and it alone 3 weeks ago while sleeping in the back of my truck. Temps were warm - high 30's / low 40's but I was toasty with just the Doobie over me like a blanket.

Good luck

I picked up a Das Parka from Patagonia as well. They use to use Primaloft but now are using Climashield which from what I understand is similar to Primaloft in insulating properties but stabilizes a little better in the shell. Grounds Keeper covered most of everything else. Kept me warm over minimal layers in -10 and sitting. Plus Patagonia has Life time warranty and great CS to go with it in my experience.

I'd take a good hard look at feathered friends jackets I have one of there 20 degree sleeping bags that tips the scales at 2 pounds and compresses to smaller than a loaf of bread. They make several down jackets and allow custom fabrics and colors. It expensive stuff but well worth it.

I do a lot of alpine winter climbing in Colorado and ice climbing. When exterting myself during the actual climb, I use a thin base layer covered with a water/wind-proof shell. At belay stations when I'm not climbing, I put on a Patagonia DAS Parka:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-das-parka-special?p=19035-1-984

That one is less money than their color ones, but still the same jacket. It compresses really small and fits in my climbing pack. When climbing big mountains, one doesn't want a lot of weight in insulation and one wants something that compresses small and fits in a pack. This does the job great! I use it climbing and generally around my house/town in winter. Very water/wind resistant, and definitely warm. It's tough too, as I've stepped on it with crampons and haven't torn it yet. Highly recommended!

Here's a shot of me with it on. This was on a really, really cold day and I stayed toasty. I'm on the left, back to the camera.

106397233_large_e2841d.jpg

The Dead Air Space from Patagonia is a good jacket and can be found cheap from their outlet sight. I find it not as warm as my Dolomitti and slightly heavier and packs up slightly larger but is a very good jacket. The thing I really did not like was the short arms, gapoasis on me.

Dolomitti in use, first ascent of Face Plant AK Grade IV (WI5, M5+ for a states rating) Its me on the sharp end with belayer wearing my Dolomitti. Mid October, temp around zero.
FacePlant.jpg

Me on the left in my Dolomitti, my charge (client) on the right after we just skied 5 miles and set up camp. Early March temp was -15F with overnight -25F.
ak_ice_caribou_gal4.jpg

In investigating the DAS coat it would appear that Patagonia "upgraded" the design a couple of years ago and reduced the loft or amount of insulation much to the detriment of the original design. I have not found if they have gone back to the original design or if they are sticking with the down graded version. Too bad as it looked like a nice option.

Now on to the Dolomitti research
smile.gif

Pat

Tad Gear makes some superb soft-shell, fleece, and hard shell options. I highly recommend their outer wear.

Not much that hasn't been said but the MontBell pieces are nice and so is the Westcomb Stuff. Try www.prolitegear.com. Lots of good info and choices on that site.

Tad gear makes nice looking stuff..But IMHO the zippers they use for the jackets are junk for any serious use and totally non suited for military type use..They should switch too HD molded #7-10 heavy duty zippers like the professional companies use.

I was told yesterday that Integral Designs has split their Military line and Commercial line. The commercial line is going "out of country". My money would be either China or Vietnam. The military line manufacturing is suppose to remain in Canada. This was from a retailer and not directly from Intergral Designs.

Pat