• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warning FNG Question: Rem SPS Tactical in .308 ???

springerjb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Ephraim, UT
So I picked up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 last week (my first bolt action). Now I'm shopping for a quality base (I'm thinking Warne or Badger one piece, 0 MOA...nothing past 600 yards to shoot around here), then rings, and some glass. So here is a really basic question I can't seem to find anywhere (and I've been reading the site for almost a month now, GREAT info): this is a "short action" Remington 700, right? Don't want to order the wrong base...

Hey I warned you this was a FNG question; at least it's not a question that about Counter Sniper Optics or which "sniper rifle" to buy...

And yes I'm eating beans and rice and saving my pennies to upgrade the stock and spend decent money on glass...I'm sure I'll follow this post with more FNG posts as I contemplate those purchases in another few months.

Let the verbal beating begin.

Re: Warning FNG Question: Rem SPS Tactical in .308 ???

yessir you are correct the SPS Tactical is a Short Action 700

Incidentally, bonus points for the OP for putting "Warning: FNG question". Good luck in putting together your 700 build. It's hard to go wrong with that as a starter rifle.

dont know what budget you got, I prefer badger rings and bases with leupold glass. check out bruno shooters supply or natchez for the glass prices

yup, short action. You may as well get a 20 moa base. its not going to hurt you on the short/med range. If you find a place to go long some day, it will come in handy, depending on what scope you end up with it may be necessary...

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

So a 20 MOA base is the way to go, huh? Looks like I've got more reading to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the quick responses guys.

So a 20 MOA base is the way to go, huh? Looks like I've got more reading to do. </div></div>

Winner, winner...chicken dinner....

I would personally go with a 20MOA on the chance that you eventually get to stretch out to 1,000. You may not ever need it, but it is nice to know it is there if you do.

Badger makes both 20MOA and 0MOA Remington 700 Short Action bases. Either will serve you well...just a question of having a little more flexibility down the line.

FWIW...MidwayUSA has the Badger 20MOA 700 SA bases on sale right now:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=562717

Good luck with your new rifle setup!

Yep....get a 20 MOA base. Think of it this way.....it won't really cost anymore & you've just given yourself the ability to stretch out the rifle to longer distances if the opportunity arises.........

If you don't get it & then one day you get the chance to shoot to 1000 yards, you'll be like....

"Damn it! I knew I should've listened to those guys on the Hide!!"......"Fuck!!"

LOL!

Good lord, links to help me spend money I don't have...I'm going to need a 12-step program or just have my pay check direct deposited into a MidwayUSA account...Badger 20 MOA base will be here early next week...hey, at least I "saved" $15 bucks, right?!?!

"This is my last 9mm I need in my collection, my last AR, my last M1 Carbine, my last Garand, my last 20ga O/U...do I really need one more PMAG? Another mag for my XDM?"

Does anyone else hear these voices?

Mtneer...you have a sickness and we here at the Hide will do all we can to help .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mtneer...you have a sickness and we here at the Hide will do all we can to help .

</div></div>

This is true.

and +1 on the 20 MOA base. I'm sure you can pick one up at a discount in the For Sale section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Does anyone else hear these voices?

</div></div>

I think we all hear those voices! Just ignore them...they'll go away and allow you to spend lots of money!!!
wink.gif

Mtneer,
Plenty of places in NC to stretch out to 1K. You have access to the finest 1000yd. range on the East Coast at Butner, just north of Durham. There is an active long range program there, google North State Shooting Club for more info. Don't have to join the club to shoot in the matches.
The Badger rail and high quality rings can go on your second Remy when you upgrade. Too many people go too cheap to start with and soon outpace their equipment. Buy the best you can afford and shoot the crap out of it.

AG in NC

As was mentioned above, what is your price range, a good set of rings and bases can run from $200 to $350, I use Seekins. Something cheaper that might work for you would be the Burris Xtreme tactical series.

Mtneer,

Welcome to the Hide. Before you buy any base, scope or rings, read and learn.

Everybody says: Just buy a 20 MOA base, and not a 0 MOA. They are not wrong, but they are also not fully right.

Your rifle, base, rings and scope, are a system. And that system must be bought with thought and package it as a "system".

So conventional wisdom says by a 20 MOA base. But if the scope you buy has say only 35 to 40 MOA of elevation adjustment (there there are cheap models out there with just that little adjustment), and you can't get zeroed at 100 yds, your going to be pissed, and pissed at us.

So pick your scope, if you haven't already, and then pick the bases and rings that will optimize that choice. Cart before horse..... Buy your scope first, then get the rings and the base in 0, 10, 15, 20, 30 or whatever MOA you may need to optimize that "system" you have selected.

Best of luck,

Bob

I'm slow to swoon ring/rails "just 'cuz".

yes sir 20 MOA, short action base,,,save them pennys I know how you feel

For conversation Talley LW's upon a typical 700 receiver of "standard" bridge geometry,with a 50MOA glass,will eek 35MOA residual erector travel from a 100yd-ish zero.

Obviously,lazy rear bridges will steal from this,but those are exceptions.

As an aside,this too is assuming no windage woes.

Common sense will take a man far.

Yeah, I'm only about an hour from Butner. I plan to get out there this spring to watch the CMP Eastern event (and pick out a new Garand while I'm there...again with the voices). I was under the impression the longest distance out there was 600 yards. I'm glad to hear it's longer.

Thanks for all the help guys. I obviously have a ton more reading to do. More FNG questions to follow in coming weeks/months.