• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warning! Radians Custom Molded Earplug Failure

JCummings

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2007
Vermont
Warning! Today I tried the Radians Custom Molded Earplug Kit. I followed the instructions completely. After carefully mixing the two parts as directed I carefully pressed the mixture into my ear. After a 1 hour wait (not the 10 minutes recommended)the gooey mixture was exactly the same as when inserted - a gooey sticky mess. There was no hardening at all. Let me tell you trying to get that gooey mess out of your ear is VERY DIFFICULT! Nothing like when is has hardened as it is supposed to. In fact in is literally impossible to completely remove it. I tried for a couple hours and even tried washing out my ear with a syringe. I did get most if it out but there is still a sticky coating of the stuff in my ear canal which will have to just slowly come out through the normal clearing of ear wax. I STRONGLY recommend that if you want to try this product you MUST try a small portion of the contents as a test plug out side your ear first. I would never use this product again without proving that there really was the correct combination of plastic and hardener that would successfully work outside my ear first. This need to be put in the instructions on the package from the manufacturer

Re: Warning! Radians Custom Molded Earplug Failure

Are you kidding me ?

I wish I was kidding you. It's 16 hours since I mixed the stuff and it's still just as soft and gooey as it started. A response on another forum indicated another person recently experienced the same problem. Do Not put this stuff in your ear without testing a small portion outside your ear first. Do not Trust this product will harden. Verify First!

never had a problem with mine, other that they didnt stop the noise that well... i have a 2nd box to mix and see if i can shove that crap deeper in my ear to see if it will be better

I had high hopes for the radians stuff but I put them away after my first use. It's too hard to judge how deep to go (and in light of what the OP had happen, I'm glad I didn't get anywhere near my eardrum!), and they aren't flexible enough to seal tight to the part outside the ear canal.

I tried two different kinds of custom molded plugs...both done by the vendor. Neither one worked half as well as the long disposable plugs (the short yellow ones aren't so hot).

So, for the past many years, I just buy the disposable ones at industrial safety stores. You can get 'em in bulk, and far cheaper than buying them by the pair at a gun shop. I just throw 20-50 in baggies and keep a baggie full in my shooting bag, car, shop, and anywhere else I need 'em.

I didn't think I would like them that much, but the Surefire EP-whatevers I have are actually pretty freakin good. For rifles, they are quite adequate. For pistols, they're a smidge loud, but when it's my turn, I just pop a set of muffs on as well, and then shooting even a comped 460 Rowland or 9x25 Dillon is quiet and pleasant.

Theres a ton of guys out there making custom molded earplugs now. They work better and are way more comfortable than muffs or the foamy plugs.

My local guy here can even install small filters that allow noises below a certain decibel rating and frequency in and block the others. Cost about 80 bucks but well worth it. Especially if your out in the hot sun...freaking sweaty muffs are the worst.

I work in an industry that requires me to wear ear plugs most of the day. A while ago a bunch of us tested some custom moulded plugs. We had the company come in and custom fit them to us, they use a syringe to put it right into you ear. We also have equipment to test ear protection when you are wearing it, to see the level of protection they are giving you. All I will say they did not impress me or any of the other guys. The level of protection was nowhere near what they claimed. I will be sticking with the cheap disposable foam plugs.

I tried a pair of the custom molded plugs (fit by an audiologist) with a built in filter. I figured this would be the best solution overall; perfect fit, good protection, comfortable, leave in, etc. I used them three times and that's it. They are a perfect fit the day they make them, but, I found that under some conditions (a few too many hits to the head, slight cold, too much coffee) they don't fit right anymore. If they were slightly more pliable they might work better under a variety of conditions.

Anyhow, back to foam plugs and ProEars

I was out at the range with the rest of the tactical team today and was actually bummed that I didn't have my Radians. I did not have a problem with mine whatsoever and yeah on occasion they don't seem to be ultra tight but they are consistent unlike other standard one-size-fits-all plugs.

I'll take them over muffs any day. The surefire EARS that everyone else swears by, I am not a fan at all.

I love my custom molded plugs. They are EarInc. brand, installed (or injected!?) by my local gunshop. I used disposable plugs before these, which also worked great, but were a pain to take in and out, and it takes them a little while to reset after you've put them in. With the custom molded plugs, the sound reduction is slightly better than the disposables, and when I need to hear conversation, I rotate them a fraction of an inch, just enough to break the seal. When these wear out, I will be getting more. Well worth the $40.

By far, the best earplugs I've used were the custom molded ones.

But there is one thing in particular that is critical in the making of them. When you are sitting there with the 'stuff' in your ear to make the casting, you cannot move.

Close your mouth before they put the crap in, and do not move, talk, laugh, or even clench your jaw muscles until that thing has set, AND been removed.

I made the mistake of laughing once, when getting fitted. Actually it was more of a chuckle at a joke made by another. That right there, wrecked the casting, and I didn't know it until the actual plugs were made and delivered. They didn't work worth crap. I then got 're-casted' to which I paid extra attention to not move, and it was WELL WORTH IT.

Those were the bestest plugs I'd ever had, until my dog got ahold of them, and chewed them up into little crunchy bit. Arrg.

YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TucsonDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most audiologists can make you some custom molded ear pro for reasonable prices.Call around and get prices. Some insurance plans will cover it as well. </div></div>

+1 My sister is an audiologist and she can do them for about $100-120 a pair.

Seems to be about 50/50 split on the molded plugs.

I got mine molded at the gun show and f'n hate em. Felt like the guy was drilling through my head when he was making them and hurt when i try to put them in. I threw mine away.