• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Warranty?

Ruslow

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
first time potiental buy of NV items. wondering why by the 3 reply 'does it have a how much warranty is left?' Are they that bad for breaking? If they are sensitive to certain rough handling which ones will take some abuse. thanks Stan

Not 100% sure what your asking....

As far as NV "breaking"- we go back and look at warranty work every year or so. In over 800 New PVS14s in the just over the last year, we have seen exactly One where a tube went out. Elbit replaced the tube under warranty in short order.

That's a pretty good ratio in my opinion.

I would honestly be more concerned about buying used as people can -and often do- do stupid shit with their NODs. The biggest thing we have seen the last few years is problems with the "sheetrock Rangers"- the guys that evidently never go OUTSIDE with their Nods but instead spend all the time staring at white walls inside their house looking for spots in the tube. It's ok. to do that, just don't blast your damn IR illuminator while your doing it!!! We have had several cases where a customer burned his own tube doing this. The IR is bouncing off the semi reflective wall and burning the tube. It makes a tell tale ring in the view usually.

For all the talk of NV being "a lot of money" (and they are!!), you see people do some really stupid shit with their units.

Most warranties are transferable, but if the last owner has tampered with the unit you may have issues.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Most well known vendors offer a 10 year tube, and lifetime housing / service warranty. Its almost like it's a standard feature now. If you get a unit that DOESNT have this, its almost odd....

just my opinion.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I think people just like peace of mind when buying expensive equipment.

I’ve seen more issues pop up in regards to thermal but I wouldn’t call them fragile at all. Anything electronic that you take out and actually use is going to run the risk of something happening to it.

I feel like pvs14s are pretty robust for what they are. I’ve had 4 and never an issue with any of them.