• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Washington state monthly matches at Upper Nisqually Sportsman's Club

Therichardpowell,
I really enjoyed watching you work that rifle of yours yesterday. It isn't what you are able to do when you have your dream gear that is important....it what you are able to do with what you have on hand. I thought you did a VERY admirable job of working with the equipment you had. I would encourage you to keep coming out and just using what you have. After all, each one of us is trying to improve our skill level with the gear we currently own. There will always be someone who can outshoot us with better gear or skill, and someone who can outshoot them for many other reasons.

For those reasons, I am my own arch enemy at matches...I am the one I compete against, as every match I attend, I hope to do a little better than I did at the last match. If I am able to do that, then I go home well pleased with myself, regardless of who came out ahead of me on the match results.

I was pleased to see you do so well with the gear you had. You obviously know your way around that rifle, and I would much rather watch someone like that shoot, and stay in the fight, than watch someone with a high end bit of gear fumble their way through a stage, and give up out of frustration.

Well that makes me feel really good. Thank you. I really enjoyed shooting with you. And now that I have a good load and some hopefully good data I hope to shoot a lot more. And after your comments I'm thinking piss on it, I may make it to that next match. I have a month to practice. And it sure sounds like a nice group of guys. I'll just have to practice shooting four then loading single shots. Lol. And get off my table. You'll find me at the rock pit shooting off a stool... ;0)

Laurel - thanks for taking, posting, and sharing the photos from the August match. Really had a fun time shooting with everyone yesterday.

OK. I took SO MANY photos. They've been posted to the UNSC facebook page (if you have facebook, you should definitely "like" it!) Sorry I don't have more of the other squad, however we have a great many of our squad!

Here's a link to the album
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.352426384906157.1073741832.308359489312847&type=1

Looks like a good one,... Unfortunately, I'm gonna miss out on it,... and probably September's,... I'm in the midst of closing on a new house and the seller already bought a new place and wants to close it by the end of the month, so I'm running around like a chicken with,... you get the idea. Check it out! Right on the Pilchuk River:

The House:
View attachment 44814

The Shop:
View attachment 44815

The Porch & River:
View attachment 44816

I got it for a great price, but it needs some TLC! If you're ever up near Granite Falls, stop on by!

Ry

My paps lives in Machias near the pilchuck!

Damn, I'm green with envy after seeing all the photos. I havent even held a gun since July's match. I hope my experience matches Known's and I end up shooting better after a 2 month break.

When is the September match?

Shamir,
Our matches are always on the first Saturday of each month, regardless of the date. The club gives out it's range reservations that way, so in order to lock in range time, we took the first saturday of every month for the foreseeable future.

Damn, I'm green with envy after seeing all the photos. I havent even held a gun since July's match. I hope my experience matches Known's and I end up shooting better after a 2 month break.

When is the September match?

Yeah, it was strange going two months without shooting but when I got back on my rifle it was like I never left. I would sit at the desk in my hotel room and close my eyes shooting an imaginary rifle. I was staying at the Oberoi Gurgaon and they would give me everything I wanted expect for a firearm. The hotel guards had AK-47s so that was the closest I could get to shooting something. I felt like the Chinese pianist Liu Shih-Kun who was held in prison for six years during the cultural revolution and played an imaginary piano on a window sill.

Question for you guys..... First off, I'm starting a new build off an old Savage 110 long action I just trued. Would 6.5x284 be too much for your steel at these matches? I considered a 260 or 308, but thought it would be a waste of a LA. I'm still building a 260 for my son on his Mod 12 SA, so in the future we'll be set. But the main thing was if the 6.5 is still too much energy?

just for the sake of argument....input on the 6.5-06?

Brian

Last edited:
Question for you guys..... First off, I'm starting a new build off an old Savage 110 long action I just trued. Would 6.5x284 be too much for your steel at these matches? I considered a 260 or 308, but thought it would be a waste of a LA. I'm still building a 260 for my son on his Mod 12 SA, so in the future we'll be set. But the main thing was if the 6.5 is still too much energy?

just for the sake of argument....input on the 6.5-06?

Brian

Most matches just specify "no magnum calibers" and have a velocity limit of 3150, for the sake of saving steel and preventing a match cease fire to repair a target. 260 will work in a long action, and you can chamber it extra long and get additional case capacity. The 260 is limited by many short actions having a max OAL around 2.800-2.900, not a issue in a LA and it will still feed fine.

Here are the results from Saturday's match. Congrats to Steve and Ed (6.5 Guys) for a first and second place finish! Good shooting guys and can't wait to do it again!

Nice work Steve, Ed and Ryan !
14 out of 16 for Ed on pistol seriously kicked ass !
I may have to throw rocks next time.

Big thanks to Kevin and Anton for putting this together. Great course of fire and always learn something new about myself, my skill level, and my gear when being pushed by the clock.

Semper Fi!

It looks like the range is pretty well shrouded but I was curious what you guys see for wind on an average day. I live in the Columbia River Gorge and its a windy bitch out here, but I haven't had alot of practice shooting in it yet. Was just curious what I would be up against.

It looks like the range is pretty well shrouded but I was curious what you guys see for wind on an average day. I live in the Columbia River Gorge and its a windy bitch out here, but I haven't had alot of practice shooting in it yet. Was just curious what I would be up against.

Compared to what you are used to we have very little wind. However, there is just enough wind to knock you off target if you are not watching closely. For example, on Saturday several shooters commented that the wind seemed to be pushing bullets up at the 535 yard line.

With either a 6.5 Grendel, or a 260 Remington, there isn't much hold off required at the 535 yard line. With a 308, a hold off of about 4-5 inches is required in the same wind...just enough to cause a miss if you forget to favor one side a little bit at 535 yards.

The wind usually blows from left to right by the 535 yard line because it isn't sheltered as much by the trees. Even so, it is pretty easy to watch the range flags around the club and get a pretty good idea what the wind is doing.

Thanks for the info fellas. Now I just have to see how my sporter weight barrel feels about shooting in quick succession...

88Blazer,
Regarding long action VS short action calibers...

When I was considering which cartridge to use in a rifle I was having built, I started to consider, the distances I would normally shoot, components being readily available rather than having to fire form, and barrel life.

My first thought was to go with the 6.5-08 AI for extra velocity and range. Then I realized that the plain jane 260 could go 1500 yards or more with the right load before it begins to go transonic. Fire forming brass for the 6.5-08 AI would get me around 100 fps more, or 100-200 more yards before the bullet started to go transonic. As I rarely shoot 1500 yards, (much less further), I figured I didn't need the extra velocity. In the 4 years since building the rifle, I have never regretted the decision. Actually, I still haven't shot out to 1500 yards since having the rifle built...

Just some things to think about when selecting your cartridge. Being able to long load the plain 260, and with Lapua cases now available for the 260, I wonder if the extra distance, and shorter barrel life of the 6.5x284 would really be worth it.

However, the F-class folks have shown us that the 6.5x284 is very successful at many things. Barrels are sort of like brass in that they are eventually all going to wear out. Bucking wind would be in favor of the 6.5x284.

Looks like I have that Saturday available again for once, please put me down for a September slot (last chance for a while, unfortunately).

Thanks,
Matt J.

Here is the tentative COF for the September match.

550 Yard COF

Stage 1 - Coldbore – 2 rounds – 15 seconds – 8 points possible

Shooters will start in the prone position behind a loaded rifle. Upon the start signal, shooters will engage the 6” square at 540 yards with up to 2 rounds. 1st round hit is worth 8 points and 2nd round hit is worth 4 points.

Stage 2 - Swinging Platform – 10 rounds – 120 seconds – 20 points possible

Shooters will start standing behind the platform with all gear in hand and rifle unloaded. Upon the start signal the shooter will assume a position on the platform, load their rifle and engage the circle target at 200 yards with 2 rounds, the circle target at 430 yards with 2 rounds, the circle target at 500 yards with 2 rounds and then the 2 IPSC targets at 500 yards with 2 rounds each. No part of the shooters body or gear may touch the ground or the platform supports after the shooter has climbed on the platform. Hits are worth 2 points each.

Stage 3 - Ported Barricade – 8 rounds – 120 seconds – 16 points possible

Shooters will start standing behind the ported barricade with their rifle loaded, chamber open at the low ready. Upon the start signal shooters will use the enclosed ports of the barricade and engage the square target at 200 yards with 2 rounds, the rectangle target at 320 yards with 2 rounds and then both square targets at 535 yards with 2 rounds each. The shooter must use a different port of the barricade for each target engaged. The shooter must use the enclosed ports of the barricade EXCEPT any of the lowest (prone) ports. Hits are worth 2 points each.

Stage 4 – Barrel – 9 rounds – 90 seconds – 18 points possible

Shooters will start in an over watch position over the top of the barrel with their rifle loaded, chamber closed and rifle on safe. Upon the start signal shooters will engage the circle target at 200 yards with 3 rounds, the circle target at 430 yards with 3 rounds and then the circle target at 500 yards with 3 rounds. Hits are worth 2 points each.

Stage 5 – Rooftop – 9 rounds – 90 seconds – 18 points possible

Shooters will start in an over watch position on the rooftop with their rifle loaded, chamber closed and rifle on safe. Upon the start signal shooters will engage the square target at 200 yards with 3 rounds, the rectangle target at 320 yards with 3 rounds and then the large square at 535 yards with 3 rounds. The shooters body or gear may not touch the ground at any time after the time starts. Hits are worth 2 points each.

Stage 6 – Parapet – 6 rounds – 90 seconds – 12 points possible

Shooters will start standing behind the parapet with rifle loaded, chamber open at the low ready. Upon the start signal shooters will use any of the 3 levels of the parapet as support and engage the circle at 200 yards with 1 round, the circle at 430 yards with 1 round, the circle at 500 yards with 1 round, the square at 200 yards with 1 round, the rectangle at 320 yards with 1 round and the large square at 535 yards with 1 round. Hits are worth 2 points each.

Stage 7 – Hostage KYL – 5 rounds – 90 seconds – 15 points possible

Shooters will start standing behind their empty rifle. Upon the start signal shooters will assume a prone position, load their rifle and engage the hostage rack at 500 yards. Shooters may choose to engage either the large or the small “bad guy” half-head. The large “bad guy” half-head is worth 1 point per hit and the small “bad guy” half-head is worth 3 points per hit, points are cumulative. If the shooter hits either of the full-head “hostage” targets all accumulated points will be lost. The shooter may shoot all 5 rounds of ammunition, or they may choose to stop whenever they want.

100 Yard COF

Stage 8 – Paper Battle Ships – 10 rounds – 60 seconds – 10 points possible

Shooters will start prone behind their loaded rifle with the chamber open. Upon the start signal shooters will engage the Battle Ship target on their board. There are 5 different ships on the target worth varying points. To get the points for the individual ships the shooter must engage all of the dots on that ship. The PT boat is worth 1 point, the submarine is worth 2 points, the cruiser is worth 3 points, the destroyer is worth 4 points and the carrier is worth 5 points.

Stage 9 – Pistol Barricade – 20 rounds – 120 seconds – 10 points possible

This stage will require at least 2 magazines with only 10 rounds loaded into each magazine. Shooters will start standing behind the pistol barricade with pistol loaded at low ready. Upon the start signal shooters will use the pistol barricade as cover to engage the 2 centermost IPSC targets. Shooters will engage the 2 IPSC targets on one end with 1 round on each target from that end of the barricade then transition to the other end of the barricade and engage the 2 IPSC targets on that end with 1 round on each. Repeat this sequence until the first 10 rounds have been expended. After reloading the shooter will use the enclosed ports of the barricade to engage the 2 IPSC targets centermost with 1 round on each target from 5 different ports (2 shots per port). Hits are worth .5 points each.

Oct match

Assuming the October match is oct. 4, please add me to the list. Thanks.

Sigh me up and ill be bringing two more only one will be a new shooter.

Bah, I'm out for the September match. Not sure when I'll be able to come play again, but I'll look forward to it.

Sign me up for October - September I'll be at the Oregon Tectical match in Bend. Looking forward to seeing all of you again.

It will be nice to see you again. Hopefully, we will be into a little cooler weather pattern by then.

I have confirmed with my friend his attendance as his first introduction into long range precision rifle shooting and so I will be attending the October match. Looking forward to seeing you guys again!! Now off to buy a Pelican case, cut the foam, spray the adhesive and create a nice snug home for the rifle for transportation.

Sign me up for October - September I'll be at the Oregon Tectical match in Bend. Looking forward to seeing all of you again.

Dang Shamir. I remember your first match, which was also my first match there. Great work. Glad to see you took this sport up and seriously. Can you share with us the link for the Oregon Tactical match in Bend? I am not going to make that one, but would like to see it.

Oh yeah I remember that first time up in UNSC :). I've shot a couple more since then at UNSC, and also the Karstetter match up in Wilbur, WA. Still a long way to go before I become competitive, but its a ton of fun. Here's the link to the match in Bend http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...regon-tactical-rifle-championship-2014-a.html. I'd email the organizers if you are interested - there are always late cancellations that open up spots.

Shamir,

If you really want to improve, regular practice off a shooting bench will help you immensely. If you want to speed up your learning curve, take one of the classes put on by either Scott (Ssatt69 I think), or by Caylen W. at Central Cascade Precision shooting. Caylen's class may have been bought out by Magpul, but find out if Caylen is still teaching, and if you get into either Scott's or Caylen's class, either one of them will dramatically speed up your learning curve.

Shamir,

If you really want to improve, regular practice off a shooting bench will help you immensely. If you want to speed up your learning curve, take one of the classes put on by either Scott (Ssatt69 I think), or by Caylen W. at Central Cascade Precision shooting. Caylen's class may have been bought out by Magpul, but find out if Caylen is still teaching, and if you get into either Scott's or Caylen's class, either one of them will dramatically speed up your learning curve.

^^Good Counsel^^ . I took a class with Scott last year which he tailored to the specific interests/skills of the course participants and it benefited me immensely. Coming out of the course it gave a lot of confidence and confirmation of things I was doing well, and also a big list of things I wanted to work and improve on in my regular practice sessions. Scott is not only a great all around shooter, but he's a fantastic instructor as well. Caylen is still teaching and I know he had some classes he taught in Yakima a couple of months ago. I haven't had a chance to take course with Caylen but I've heard very positive reviews from people that have taken them. His training is offered through Magpul so you'll need to look at that website for more info.

JCVibby,
I think Kevin is off to a match this weekend, but I'm sure there is room for you to shoot. If the match is full, you are welcome to my spot. I have shot in plenty of matches, and it wouldn't bother me in the least to not shoot in one. So, plan on having a spot if you want to shoot.

Think I've got a new shooter coming along next weekend. What time is the orientation again ?

^^Good Counsel^^ . I took a class with Scott last year which he tailored to the specific interests/skills of the course participants and it benefited me immensely. Coming out of the course it gave a lot of confidence and confirmation of things I was doing well, and also a big list of things I wanted to work and improve on in my regular practice sessions. Scott is not only a great all around shooter, but he's a fantastic instructor as well. Caylen is still teaching and I know he had some classes he taught in Yakima a couple of months ago. I haven't had a chance to take course with Caylen but I've heard very positive reviews from people that have taken them. His training is offered through Magpul so you'll need to look at that website for more info.

Thanks for the counsel, guys. I am looking to take some classes this winter, so I will definitely keep this in mind.

shamir

I'll be at the Oregon Rifle Tactical Championship match this coming weekend with several others, so unfortunately I won't be able to attend this month's match. Please be sure to add me to the list for the UNSC October match. Thanks!

I'll be at the Oregon Rifle Tactical Championship match this coming weekend with several others, so unfortunately I won't be able to attend this month's match. Please be sure to add me to the list for the UNSC October match. Thanks!
i'm shooting that one too. Anybody else coming down to Bend for the match?

Shamir