• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Watch Suggestion

dega37

Private
Minuteman
I'm looking for watch suggestions. I want something similar to the Casio Pathfinder that was reviewed recently, but I didn't like the fact that the beeps could not be silenced. Thanks for the help guys.

Re: Watch Suggestion

Suunto X Lander military, bought one a few years ago from a Hide vendor, beat the hell out of it, still going strong.

Altimeter is off by a little, compass is dead nutz,barometric pressure is very near dead one.

Great watch for the money.

Tales a huge battery, but only needs a new one every 18 months or so.

I have the Casio Riseman, I like it a lot so far. You can calibrate the temp and altimeter. It seems light compared to my Casio G-Shock with the steel band, so I don't mind the size and weight at all. Not sure if you can turn off the beep when you cycle through the modes or not, I haven't tried

dega, I assume you are talking about my review here:

http://www.8541tactical.com/pag405v_review.php

While you cannot silence the beeps, they are really difficult to hear. I have not had the chance to try them out in a "patrol" environment where you are tying to be quieter than a mouse. That is when every brush of a limb sounds like a crunching chip bag. I will try to remember to give it a push the next time I am trying to be sneaky just to see how loud it is. Most of my "sneakiness" now is done in an urban environment so a "beep" is not as out of place as in the middle of the woods or jungle.

Suunto x-lander gets my vote. It's big but it does a lot of things well for being a watch. It's very lightweight for its size, the strap was a little uncomfortable for me but I will be changing that soon enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Casio Riseman, I like it a lot so far. You can calibrate the temp and altimeter. It seems light compared to my Casio G-Shock with the steel band, so I don't mind the size and weight at all. Not sure if you can turn off the beep when you cycle through the modes or not, I haven't tried

</div></div>

The Riseman is an excellent watchand it is posible to turn the bip off.

I have a PAG 40 and it doesn't beep unless you activate a "beeping" function ie: the alarm.

I know lots of soldiers who have worn Pathfinders for years w/no issues. They're the type soldiers who wouldn't wear a watch that beeps even if it beeps quietly.

I try to make decisions for myself and not care too much for what everyone else does; but, since you ask, I recommend the 3-4 hours of outdoor and hunting shows on Sunday morning.

That's what I watch.

I have a SS Suunto Core. I love it.

The hunting shows rock too.

I buy cheap digital watches with velcro straps for $6-10. When the battery dies after 1 1/2 to 2 years, I get another. Can't see spending big money on a watch. They keep as good a time as any other quartz watch, have a stopwatch, alarm, and date.

Only downside: in spite of saying "water resistant to 100 ft", none of them are. Keep 'em out of the dishwater.

Have the Riseman. not bad, and wear it 90% of the time in 'silent running'.

would be nice to have a compass rather than some of the other functions.....my .02c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Natty Bumpo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy cheap digital watches with velcro straps for $6-10. When the battery dies after 1 1/2 to 2 years, I get another. Can't see spending big money on a watch. They keep as good a time as any other quartz watch, have a stopwatch, alarm, and date.</div></div>

Kind of the same answer I get from guys who don't understand why I spend $2500 on a rifle scope. When their Tasco works fine.
wink.gif

Sometimes you have to get the nice stuff to realize how crappy the crappy stuff really is. I have destroyed too many cheap watches or had them pop off of my wrist after a twisting slide into a jungle stream. I prefer to carry stuff I know I can depend on.

The funny part about it was I knew a couple SEALs who wore G-Shocks. They are available all around the world, so if you were tasked to do some secret squirrel shit I guess it's good to go.

I really think they just got them for the same reason the rest of us did. They just work and are durable as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a Luminox. Used by Navy Seals. I also dive so it comes in handy </div></div>

That can't be why you bought that watch, please, my faith in humanity is in bad enough shape.

There is a SEAL scope too, not saying the watch is as bad as the scope; but technically, if "a" SEAL wears/buys anything, the "used by SEALS" applies.

I've only known 2 SEALs, and neither wore the official watch - or carried the Sog SEAL knife. Maybe they were the outliers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a few girls who were "used by SEALs". I wonder if they use that on their business cards now? </div></div>

Sounds like a girl Shankster would be into.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this Casio Pro Tek Pathfinder and there are no beeps.

http://www.dexclusive.com/merchant.mvc?S...utm_medium=FREE

Great watch. Have had it for years and it's taken all sorts of abuse. I never take it off. </div></div>

I know that watch.....still kickin I see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The funny part about it was I knew a couple SEALs who wore G-Shocks. They are available all around the world, so if you were tasked to do some secret squirrel shit I guess it's good to go.

I really think they just got them for the same reason the rest of us did. They just work and are durable as hell. </div></div>

I think that I have seen more Casios & Casio G-Shocks in military units around the world than all the other brands together.
Still have an old Pro Trek bought in Florida on 1998's summer and is still working. Don't use it anymore but don't want to throw it away either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this Casio Pro Tek Pathfinder and there are no beeps.

http://www.dexclusive.com/merchant.mvc?S...utm_medium=FREE

Great watch. Have had it for years and it's taken all sorts of abuse. I never take it off. </div></div>

I know that watch.....still kickin I see.</div></div>

Yes it is. Thank you very much
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sometimes you have to get the nice stuff to realize how crappy the crappy stuff really is. I have destroyed too many cheap watches or had them pop off of my wrist after a twisting slide into a jungle stream. I prefer to carry stuff I know I can depend on. </div></div>

Have to disagree on that. A while back, I was doing a search on one of the "Tactical" brands, (IIRC either Tazer or Luminox,) and found that the movement used was a $5 item! One of the similarly priced Casio's was another watch that used an equally cheap movement.

So being a "watch snob" over a $300 watch is a bit misguided these days..

Personally, I've used $10 Casio F-91W's on and off for years and I've never had one break or go faulty, including when I was in the Infantry. Always carried a spare watch anyway though, as regardless of the brand any watch is breakable...

From a practical perspective, I'd be more than happy if Casio would put a decent light in the F-91W as I am one of those people who justt wants a watch to tell the time, (in just one place) and perhaps have an alarm.

I don't like big bulky watches, and I don't like overly complicated watches; I just want something that is realiable accurate and practical. Excluding the light, the F-91W meets those criteria nicely.

If Casio did a similar model with a better spec in the G-Shock range, I'd happily buy it, but most of the G-Shocks look like something out of transformers.

And yes I have broken a lot of watches over the years, (of varying price ranges) just not the bombproof little Casio...

Never been down to 330 feet under water so can't say for sure
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dega37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the replies so far. When Casio lists 100m water resistant, is that accurate? </div></div>

It probably is. Most dive equipment will list its UW capabilities at 330ft. Anything beyond that is WAY beyond recreational limits, and even beyond the capabilities of a lot of tech divers. So, even dedicated dive watches/computers meant to be used for recreational divers will only be listed to 330ft. I guess they dont want to be responsible for a diver dying due to equipment malfuntion at extreme depths

I have a 5.11 Tactical watch and love it. The beeps can be turned off and when you turn on the light, hit the switch a second time and it turns off instead of having to wait for the 3-4 seconds to automatically turn off....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dega37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL 180ft is about my limit and very deep for a recreational dive. I'm just wanting to know if I'll have a problem diving in it. </div></div>

Well, my point was that when they say 100m, its legit. BTW, 180ft IS very deep. Hope you're on trimix...

+1 for the 5.11. Been wearing the digital version for a few years without issue. I must be hell on watches though. In the last 15 years I've broken a 5.11 Titanium, 2 Luminox's and a G-Shock. Been wanting a TAG, but can't justify the 2k for a watch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have to disagree on that. A while back, I was doing a search on one of the "Tactical" brands, (IIRC either Tazer or Luminox,) and found that the movement used was a $5 item! One of the similarly priced Casio's was another watch that used an equally cheap movement.</div></div>

If you have a cheap watch that works for you, then great. When I was employed as a Jungle Survival Instructor I wore a Casio DW-285 that I picked up in the PX for pretty cheap. Over a decade later the band broke and the battery finally died. It's been sitting here on my desk for two years because I have been trying to figure out if I want to get a new band and battery for a watch I don't wear anymore.

I wore a $10 Armitron for several years because I was worried about having an expensive watch ripped from my wrist in a fight. I have been through quite a few and never had that occur.

I bought my Pathfinder because I wanted a better watch for patrolling, competitions and work wear. I also wanted the features it had that were not available in the cheaper Casio models.

When I take it off at night it sits on my nightstand next to a Seiko Titanium Kinetic and a Citizen Titanium Chronograph. While neither one of those are Rolex or Rado level watches it does demonstrate that I have had a variety of time pieces over the years.

CHEAP does not always mean inexpensive. When I use "Cheap" I am usually describing quality of the piece.

BTW, I do like big watches. It makes it easier to see at night without having to flip on the light. They also usually come with larger bands that allow you to strap it on over a sleeve or glove gauntlet if the mission requires.

Rolex. Don't look back haha. It's got a tactical shine to it included in the price too.

On a more serious note, I'd go with the Casio

Martin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a Luminox. Used by Navy Seals. I also dive so it comes in handy </div></div>

That can't be why you bought that watch, please, my faith in humanity is in bad enough shape.

There is a SEAL scope too, not saying the watch is as bad as the scope; but technically, if "a" SEAL wears/buys anything, the "used by SEALS" applies.

I've only known 2 SEALs, and neither wore the official watch - or carried the Sog SEAL knife. Maybe they were the outliers. </div></div>

I bought it because I dive in the Atlantic. I doubt many people on this forum deep dive off the Northeast coast because if you did you would surely have heard of Luminox. It's powered by Tritium which allows you to see the hands in dark, murky water and needs no sunlight to "charge" its glow-in-the-dark abilities. I didn't buy it because it's "used by seals." I should have been more specific. At the time of purchase it was a very popular watch with Navy dive teams including those of the SEALs. So no, it is not just a gimic, it is actually a very useful and rugged watch. I've been diving with mine for about 4-5 years. The only complaint I have is its difficult to put on over a 7mm wetsuit. I usually have it rigged up to my BC. I also wish I got the rubber band as the velcro on the nylon bands wears out over time. You can buy the bands for around 20 dollars tho and I usually get one in my stocking every christmas haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny you say that since there have been quite a few elite "tactical" units that have used Rolex as their official or pseudo official timepiece. </div></div>

Rolex used to be issue to RN Divers (similar to your UDTs)at one stage, and I think they were also issue to RAF bomber crews as well...

But that was back when watches were mechanical and there was a considerable difference between different grades of mechanical movements.

These days you can pay 10% of the cost of a rolex and end up with a watch that is every bit as reliable and just as accurate...Of course you don't get the bling!
grin.gif

I know exactly what features and design I want in a watch, and they are all available, just not together in one watch!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny you say that since there have been quite a few elite "tactical" units that have used Rolex as their official or pseudo official timepiece. </div></div>

British MOD issued Rolex Milsub and Tudor Milsub (ref # 5513/5517)

United States Navy and Air Force were issued Rolex Milsubs (A recent USAF one with provenance sold for $50,000.00 at auction) (ref # 5513/5517 and 5508)

German Navy issued Rolex Milsub, Tudor, and Blancpain 50 fathoms

Italian Navy issued Rolex Milsub and Panerai (Original had Rolex movement)

Israeli IDF issued Rolex Milsubs (ref # 5513/5517)

The most common Milsubs are from the British MOD, since they issued them for the longest duration.

Buy a Rolex and never look back. I wear mine everywhere, its been on my wrist from 210' diving trimix to sitting in the hut tub.

rolexdssd002.jpg

If you don't need all the elecronic doo dads in your watch then I recommend a Rolex. I have used a Sea Dweller for over thirty years and all I have ever had to do is replace the crystal as it is an old type crystal.
The new Rolex's crystal are indestructible.

For digital I use an Avocet which I bought at REI. It is for mountain climbing so it gives me the barometric pressure and altitude. It has all the other stuff too like a light, alarm, timer, etc. It comes with two bands and I send it back periodically to replace the battery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dega37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL 180ft is about my limit and very deep for a recreational dive. I'm just wanting to know if I'll have a problem diving in it. </div></div>

130 feet is the maximum depth for a recreational dive. If your going past your doing decompression stops going back up. And if your doing that it's no longer a rec dive.
cool.gif

180 feet is stupid deep. It's not even fun when you can only stay down for 5 minutes haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a Luminox. Used by Navy Seals. I also dive so it comes in handy </div></div>

I
I've only known 2 SEALs, and neither wore the official watch - or carried the Sog SEAL knife. Maybe they were the outliers. </div></div>

I bought it because I dive in the Atlantic. I doubt many people on this forum deep dive off the Northeast coast because if you did you would surely have heard of Luminox. It's powered by Tritium which allows you to see the hands in dark, murky water and needs no sunlight to "charge" its glow-in-the-dark abilities. I didn't buy it because it's "used by seals." I should have been more specific. At the time of purchase it was a very popular watch with Navy dive teams including those of the SEALs. So no, it is not just a gimic, it is actually a very useful and rugged watch. I've been diving with mine for about 4-5 years. The only complaint I have is its difficult to put on over a 7mm wetsuit. I usually have it rigged up to my BC. I also wish I got the rubber band as the velcro on the nylon bands wears out over time. You can buy the bands for around 20 dollars tho and I usually get one in my stocking every christmas haha </div></div>

I haven't dove in years, but I wanted a tough watch, and my Luminox 6000 series EVO fits the bill. I boat a lot, work as a carpenter, shoot,etc. I must wear it 16 to 24 hours a day. This is a tough no nonsense watch, and gets my vote for sure. I'm told that it is damn near bullet proof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I bought it because I dive in the Atlantic. I doubt many people on this forum deep dive off the Northeast coast because if you did you would surely have heard of Luminox.

It's powered by Tritium which allows you to see the hands in dark, murky water and needs no sunlight to "charge" its glow-in-the-dark abilities. I didn't buy it because it's "used by seals." I should have been more specific. At the time of purchase it was a very popular watch with Navy dive teams including those of the SEALs. So no, it is not just a gimic, it is actually a very useful and rugged watch. I've been diving with mine for about 4-5 years. The only complaint I have is its difficult to put on over a 7mm wetsuit. I usually have it rigged up to my BC. I also wish I got the rubber band as the velcro on the nylon bands wears out over time. You can buy the bands for around 20 dollars tho and I usually get one in my stocking every christmas haha</div></div>

Sorry to burst your bubble but Luminox are crap. Many people here have dove an dove deep including myself (I have thousands of logged dives) and I would go down without a watch before I wore a Luminox. At the time of it's release it was not "popular" with Navy SEALs or dive teams or other. It was GIVEN to them for free so Luminox could exploit the marketing. And now everyone thinks it's a "SEAL" watch. I was given two as a rescue swimmer and they both shit the bed on my. I had to send them both back for repair, which ended up costing me more than if I had bought them. Give me a good ol' fashioned G-shock. I've even got one of the original Citizen dive watches that has been in every ocean except the southern.

But that's just my opinion. Your real world experience may vary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I bought it because I dive in the Atlantic. I doubt many people on this forum deep dive off the Northeast coast because if you did you would surely have heard of Luminox.

It's powered by Tritium which allows you to see the hands in dark, murky water and needs no sunlight to "charge" its glow-in-the-dark abilities. I didn't buy it because it's "used by seals." I should have been more specific. At the time of purchase it was a very popular watch with Navy dive teams including those of the SEALs. So no, it is not just a gimic, it is actually a very useful and rugged watch. I've been diving with mine for about 4-5 years. The only complaint I have is its difficult to put on over a 7mm wetsuit. I usually have it rigged up to my BC. I also wish I got the rubber band as the velcro on the nylon bands wears out over time. You can buy the bands for around 20 dollars tho and I usually get one in my stocking every christmas haha</div></div>

Sorry to burst your bubble but Luminox are crap. Many people here have dove an dove deep including myself (I have thousands of logged dives) and I would go down without a watch before I wore a Luminox. At the time of it's release it was not "popular" with Navy SEALs or dive teams or other. It was GIVEN to them for free so Luminox could exploit the marketing. And now everyone thinks it's a "SEAL" watch. I was given two as a rescue swimmer and they both shit the bed on my. I had to send them both back for repair, which ended up costing me more than if I had bought them. Give me a good ol' fashioned G-shock. I've even got one of the original Citizen dive watches that has been in every ocean except the southern.

But that's just my opinion. Your real world experience may vary. </div></div>

I have to agree, I have had a Citizen N.D. Limits Aqualand sence 1996 and beat the hell out of it. I wore it whial in the Marine Corps and every day there after, it never leaves my wrist except when I get the idea to try something else. I have had a Luminox and was completely disappointed, I was downhill mountianbiking and the second hand fell off! I have had 2 Suuntos and have no real complaints, I just like the Citizens better. My point is stay away from the Luminox. It is hard to beat the gshock , I have seen too many in some real bad places and they are tough!

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going with the Suunto Core. I didn't have a feature watch yet, and I came to the realization that I would eventually have several different watches. So, really this is just a start.

My citizen is pretty beat up now and has a chip in the face, so I'll probably replace it with something more sturdy, rather than replace the glass.