• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing watched a bedding video for 700 rem varm.

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
watched a bedding video for 700 rem varm. and a lot of post here on the hide say its way overkill, is this true, or is their another compound i can use?

i have looked through post and the internet ive seen everything from JB Wield ???????? to this 10760 titanium puddy

very respectfully

Re: watched a bedding video for 700 rem varm.

Been wondering the same thing myself. My local smith was talking about using marinetex but I haven't seen as much about that on here.

Recently one of my clients sent his receiver out to be blued. It was from a 1k rifle that id built for him 1.5 years ago.

They did a beautiful job. Polished it so well that when put back in the stock it fell right into it. Prior to this you could almost hear the air being sucked between the two during disassembly.

The gun held 198+ scores with X counts well over 60% prior.

After bluing it was "minute of 8 ring". He reported that the group took on a saucer shaped pattern. The spread went L/R.

Bedded it over and once again its shooting 198+ scores with the same X counts as before. He's finally head hunting for his high master card in long range.

Bedding matters. Bedding works. Seen too many examples ranging from international smallbore (olympic) rifles to operational bolt guns used by departments/agencies worldwide.

If you want 100% assurance spend the $ with someone that understands accurate gunmaking.

Good luck.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recently one of my clients sent his receiver out to be blued. It was from a 1k rifle that id built for him 1.5 years ago.

They did a beautiful job. Polished it so well that when put back in the stock it fell right into it. Prior to this you could almost hear the air being sucked between the two during disassembly.

The gun held 198+ scores with X counts well over 60% prior.

After bluing it was "minute of 8 ring". He reported that the group took on a saucer shaped pattern. The spread went L/R.

Bedded it over and once again its shooting 198+ scores with the same X counts as before. He's finally head hunting for his high master card in long range.

Bedding matters. Bedding works. Seen too many examples ranging from international smallbore (olympic) rifles to operational bolt guns used by departments/agencies worldwide.

If you want 100% assurance spend the $ with someone that understands accurate gunmaking.

Good luck.

C. </div></div>

i understand the concept of bedding, just what is a good compound to use or not to use, or are you implying to go woth the titanium puddy??? "some and mirrors brother, smoke and mirrors"?

A resin for bedding needs to have:

1. High compression strength
2. High Shore Hardness
3. High tolerance to shear
4. Immune to acids/alkalies
5. Low percentage of shrinkage as it cures
6. Long pot life
7. Long working time
8. Medium viscosity while working (mayonnaise consistency is best imo)

Find one with all of these and your off to a great start.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A resin for bedding needs to have:

1. High compression strength
2. High Shore Hardness
3. High tolerance to shear
4. Immune to acids/alkalies
5. Low percentage of shrinkage as it cures
6. Long pot life
7. Long working time
8. Medium viscosity while working (mayonnaise consistency is best imo)

Find one with all of these and your off to a great start.

C. </div></div>

roger, what i should ask is what do you prefer? that's probley the 1st question that should have been asked, if you willing to tell.

I share quite a bit on this forum. Processes, procedures, etc.

Resin choice is something we keep in house however.

Sorry bud.

C.

I have tried a bunch of stuff over the years. If you go with marine tex, devcon, acra gel....you can't miss. Some do better than others in some areas, but they are all sufficient for bedding. If you are doing a few rifles there is no real reason to dig much deeper. I have used metal body filler in a pinch and jb as well. Metal filler broke under heavy recoil.

I use Devcon steel putty, but I would also use Marine Tex or Devcon aluminum putty wtihout any reservations. According to their website Surgeon Rifles beds with Marine Tex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I share quite a bit on this forum. Processes, procedures, etc.

Resin choice is something we keep in house however.

Sorry bud.

C. </div></div>

no problem, i understand whee your coming from