• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Watches ??

Re: Watches ??

I have a Submariner replica I got for $50 from China about a year ago, lol.

Its fooled everyone except one person, and thats just because I cheaped out and got the least expensive one with 6 ticks per second, which is what tipped him off. If I'd gottem the 8 tick one, he told me he wouldn't have even known without taking it apart.

The Chinese fakes sure aren't what they used to be. Gone are the days of obvious fakes. Some of the high end replicas are pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing even to people familiar with them. Thats why a lot of pawn shops won't buy Breitlings or certain models of Omegas anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DanW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the Casio. Rolex? If I had that kinda money to drop on a watch...I wouldn't. But for the sake of argument, I would go Kobold instead. </div></div>
Plus 1 for Kobold!

I do find it intersting that folks will drop $3000 on a scope and $4000 on a rifle then have crapfits about spending anything like that on a watch. Or, even worse, will spend tens of thousands on a diamond ring (now there is a colossal waste of resources!!) Interesting......

I hear Timex takes a 'lickin'.
grin.gif

Brought to you by the North American Sarcasm Society....like we need your support anyway.
laugh.gif

after beating cheap watches to death and scratching the faces beyond recognition my wife got me this watch

Victorinox Chrono Classic

for under $500 i think its the most durable around....saphire crystal is awesome, i work in the woods and on tractors and trucks daily and have yet to take this watch off.....not a single scratch and keeps time great.......a rolex dealer is who suggested it and i owe him one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do find it intersting that folks will drop $3000 on a scope and $4000 on a rifle then have crapfits about spending anything like that on a watch.</div></div>

Seriously?

I'm really not trying to be a dick either, (I must emphasize that) but think about it...

Higher end scopes almost always perform their funtion better than lower end scopes.

The funtion of a watch is to tell accurate time.

The expensive automatic watches will always be less accurate than cheaper digital watches. Thats just the nature of the beast. Even the most accurate automatic watch will likely still be off a second or two per day. Not the case with digital watches.

So...bad analogy that you have made comparing high end scopes to high end watches. (which are pretty much exclusively automatic, and thus inherantly much, much, more innacurate than their much cheaper digital counterparts)

Re: Rolexes, a couple

I am partial to ball watch company, and the tsar from marathon is on the hit list next.

Re: Rolexes, a couple

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of all the Rolex watches, yeah, the Sub is probably the most popular. A two tone gold/blue was my first one, but quickly realized you just cant wear that one daily...or at least I couldnt. So I got a stainless/black next. Its on the wrist as I type and resides there pretty much every day for the last 10 yrs or so. Still could almost pass for new (some small scuffs on the band would give it away). I finally got the GMT for my 3rd one, black/gold.

IF you are going to get one, get it ASAP as they just dont get cheaper. Luckily I got all of mine years ago and got the two tones for less than a stainless goes for today. Really got a deal on my wife's 2 tone!! And yeah, if someone has a Rolex the odds are its a SS sub as its probably the most popular one and probably the least costly too. If you really like the GMT, get it, but I would suggest that its the one you REALLY want and not base it on what everyone and their brother might have (in reality, very few folks sport Rolexes...for good reason, the frickin cost!). Oh, and yeah, you are going to about be sick in your stomach when you drop the coin on it, but after a day or so, thats all gone. Been there, done that, 4 times. Besides, I drop more on guns and dont seem to even blink at that! Go figure.

If you want one, buy one, you can always sell it later for more than you paid for it....been that way as long as I have dealt with them.

John
</div></div>

Your taste is similar it appears to mine. I've had a Rolex Sub, stainless and gold with blue face and bezel for over 10 years. It's my third Rolex. It gains about 5 seconds a day but I did not buy it to tell time, I bought it as jewelry. I just love the look. But, recently, I've been thinking about the Rolex Platinum and stainless Yacht Master. Wow! What a cool look it has.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do find it intersting that folks will drop $3000 on a scope and $4000 on a rifle then have crapfits about spending anything like that on a watch.</div></div>

Seriously?

I'm really not trying to be a dick either, (I must emphasize that) but think about it...

Higher end scopes almost always perform their funtion better than lower end scopes.

The funtion of a watch is to tell accurate time.

The expensive automatic watches will always be less accurate than cheaper digital watches. Thats just the nature of the beast. Even the most accurate automatic watch will likely still be off a second or two per day. Not the case with digital watches.

So...bad analogy that you have made comparing high end scopes to high end watches. (which are pretty much exclusively automatic, and thus inherantly much, much, more innacurate than their much cheaper digital counterparts) </div></div>

Yeah, but see, it wasnt an analogy, there is where you missed the boat. But thinking in your terms, why are folks spending $3k on a scope when a $1k scope will do the job? Heck, for that matter, one can use irons to shoot groups better than a lot of folks can do with any scope! but, again, I wasnt talking about time keeping accuracy, etc. Shoot, I got several el cheapo watches that track better time than any Rolex, but then, I have some el cheapo watches that suck ass.

But, thats not really the point, no more than a $4k rifle is always going to shoot better than a $1k rifle. Besides, the nut behind the bolt matters a whole lot more.

If one is happy with a Timex, get it, if one wants a Rolex, get it...me, I am now eyeing those Marathon SARs that folks keep mentioning.......need to find a deal......

I have read many times that purchasing a Rolex is buying a watch for a lifetime. It is hard to believe that until you handle and wear one and see the quality of the watch. It is like picking up an Accuracy International. The bolt on the one I had years ago was literally like butter, it was so smooth. I have never had a rifle cycle so smoothly and shooting it was just a slight push to me. It was a .308 I paid $3,800 for.

Many people paid $3000 for Rolex submariners many years ago and are still wearing them. I'll post the history of that breed if I can find it.

"Submariner Historical Evolution", article

Nothing wrong with a timex. I have one by my bedside in a watch case that my parents gave me as a child. It does not run anymoe unfortunately. Mud-cat is not putting any other breeds of watches down but just trying to note quality in the one he wears is extraordinary.

Other good choices are Tags. Or Omegas. I have not had a Marathon but there was one for sale on Sig Forum for around $300 which was a good buy when I looked a couple of weeks ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tschiemer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with a timex. I have one by my bedside in a watch case that my parents gave me as a child. It does not run anymoe unfortunately. Mud-cat is not putting any other breeds of watches down but just trying to note quality in the one he wears is extraordinary.</div></div>

Not sure why anyone would think I was putting down other watches...on the contrary, I have several other brands. My point was nothing more than if you can spend $5k on a rifle, you can do the same on a watch. No real difference there. I do need to replace my current timex, not cause the watch broke, but the dang band did and cheaper to replace the whole thing than just the band!

John

Yeah my citizen is 4 months old and the faceplate broke while I was in the field idk how. Has a huge crack right down the middle

I have a Suunto Core.

it took the abuse in Iraq, and all the features are nice... the bezel got all sccatched up, so it's got some metal showing. looks 'worn' but works.

in the 1.5 years I owned it, I had to change batteries 3 times. I ran out of battery in Iraq, and it was a PITA to get a battery for it.

I got the Core because I wanted something that had altimeter, barometer AND a depth meter for when I go dive. Core was the only watch that could do all 3.

the little thing on the wrist band that holds the excess part of the strap broke off, so I have a rubber band on it that I have to change once a month because it rips.

Also the compass took a shit. it constantly shows north. I tried calibrating. nogo...

I got a 2 year warranty with it, and i'm gonna send it in month before it expires for them to change out teh bezel, glass and the band.

I really want that GPS one. but I think next watch will be a solar power casio. I was watchless for almost a month when I ran out of juice

Well I took the plunge today. Got me a 2012 GMT Master II. Now I would normally feel guilty as hell about a purchase like this but I have been kicking the can down the road for so long that it does not bother me. What a nice ass watch I now have that will damn sure serve me well for many years to come. Now I can not help but wonder how many times I will have to say "yes it is real". hahahah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usngoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I took the plunge today. Got me a 2012 GMT Master II. .... Now I can not help but wonder how many times I will have to say "yes it is real". hahahah </div></div>

Actually, I have never had to do that. My guess is, you wont either. Congrats on the purchase. You wont reget it....mine are worth a lot more now than when i bought them. :)

I seem to notice watches even more than I already did. Imagine that!!

I have this watch and I love it, it is a beast but looks great. The black will wear from hard use but i like to think it adds character.
smile.gif

Sinn 857 UTG Black

zoom757sutc2.jpg

I picked up this watch on a cruise (got a very nice deal) http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-JY0005-50E-Eco-Drive-Skyhawk-Watch/dp/B0019KDIEA

For me, I like the look of the watch a lot, and I wear it casually pretty much everyday. I bought it because I really enjoy the look of it. I have heard mixed reviews on their durability, but like I said, it's mostly for enjoyment.

My G-shock Mudman, on the other hand, is worn at work, fishing, shooting, pretty much anywhere and that thing takes a beating. Like most things in life, find the right tool for the right job. Though I wish I could find a replacement band for the Mudman, I hate the hard rubber strap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spts05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PANERAI or ROLEX either will take a beating and look good doing it.
photo.jpg
</div></div>

Panerai is the shit. just bought me and the wife each one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nmcclure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">put on your big boy pants, patek or A lange and sohne.

one day....and 60k less.</div></div>

Post up a couple of yours when you get them
smile.gif

The only high end watch I would stay away from is a Tag Heuer. I've seen more stupid, should-have-never-happened, problems with Tags than any other watch. Omega and Baum Mercier are my personal favorites, but I wear a Seiko everyday, and have yet to wear one out.

One thing about the Rolex, when you send it in for service, and you will, last I checked Rolex won't take the back off of one for less than $400.

+ on Casio G-shock. They never break and if you lose one you are not heartbroken. The expensive digital watches I've had all failed. As of a couple years ago the NSW issue watch was a G-Shock. Was a Rolex many years ago but I think the Navy got tired of replacing "lost" Rolex's. My first G-shock got stripped of my wrist and fell into the breech/loading tray of a Mk 42 5"/54. 10 rounds later I got it out, wiped of the hydraulic fluid, and it was good to go.

That said, Suunto DIve computers are the bomb.

I have a Rolex Submariner I just received back from Rolex USA. I sent it in to have it serviced. It came back looking brand new. I was going to trade it in for a ceramic Sub model but I think I'm going to keep it. I paid $4,800 ten years ago. The new ones are selling for. $7,200. To get it serviced was $684.00 I think I came out ahead on that purchase. I haven't worn another watch since I purchased it ten years ago.

i never buy expensive watches cause im hard on them. i just got a stainless citizen nighthawk. its a really nice watch and you can find them for around a couple hundred if you shop around.

i had a custom leather strap made for it that is excellent. google "toshi" straps. he makes custom leather bands for watches. the leather is super thick with heavy duty stitching. im very impressed with his work.

Ulysse Nardin Marine in SS has been good to me (6 secs/week after 5 years) in watch-wrenching conditions; hockey, shooting/hunting, gardening, mechanicing, wet/dry, hot/cold. Still looks low-key good at the end of the day with a dress shirt.

Many moons ago, in 1983 I bought a solar powered Timex watch.

That sucker lasted 10 years, had I not LOST it, it would still be in use today.

Much as I'd love a rolex, I need to get 6 digits in the bank before I will buy one...

My $15 Timex is now about 8 years old and sports one of our own hidemembers watch bands.

Good nuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this watch and I love it, it is a beast but looks great. The black will wear from hard use but i like to think it adds character.
smile.gif

Sinn 857 UTG Black

zoom757sutc2.jpg
</div></div>

I gotta admit, I LIKE ethat watch - simplistic like a clock, looks like it will take a beating and still function.

Ouch on the price tho...but I like that.

Nice!

Wow, This Sinn brand I like...

This one does not come on a bracelet style, but I wonder if they would make one - This is SIMPLE and I like it!

sinn657strap_826_detail.jpg

I am a big fan of the casio gshock solar/atomic series. Get one with the metal band. The other rubber/plastic is ok but the band will wear or break.

I am a big fan of the casio gshock solar/atomic series. Get one with the metal band. The other rubber/plastic is ok but the band will wear or break.

I am a big fan of the casio gshock solar/atomic series . Get one with the metal band. The other rubber/plastic is ok but the band will wear or break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes_Mantooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only high end watch I would stay away from is a Tag Heuer. I've seen more stupid, should-have-never-happened, problems with Tags than any other watch. Omega and Baum Mercier are my personal favorites, but I wear a Seiko everyday, and have yet to wear one out.

One thing about the Rolex, when you send it in for service, and you will, last I checked Rolex won't take the back off of one for less than $400. </div></div>

Now, the average charge is $550. I have had two serviced I bought over the last two years and think I paid that for each one at the Dallas RSC. Plus, my dealer charged me something like $42 for shipping!

Years ago one could have bought a sub for that price but salaries are more than $1 an hour too is the way to look at it, I suppose.

Robert

I got to thinking about it and I haven't sent a Rolie in for anyone in about a decade, so I'm sure the price is higher now. A good watch maker charges about $60-100/hour. It takes maybe an hour to clean and lube a watch.

Kind of like the difference between taking your ford to the mechanic down the street and taking your Bentley to the dealership nearest downtown Chicago.

I do not know everything Rolex does but normally the RSC receipts I have seen on watches I sent in included replacing parts that are worn. They also time it and I think typically that is watching the watch for like a week or so and making adjustments, so it is a lot more than lubricating a watch. On the last sub I sent in, they charged $550 and here is what the receipt shows: factory movement service, pressure proof, replace bezel insert and tube, polish Monobloc crown and refinish case and bracelet. We think they also replaced the bezel. They wanted $750 for the bezel, which I declined, but it looks like they replaced it anyway, my Rolex sales guy said as he looked at the watch when it came back with his 10 x lupe. I traded that watch which was 5 years old.

My dealer told me Rolex normally replaces parts in any service. I paid $555 and as i say declined paying the $750 for to replace the bezel itself...but am glad i did it.

They make parts to replace the Gshock band so you can interchange a Maratac on it which blows away the standard bands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not know everything Rolex does but normally the RSC receipts I have seen on watches I sent in included replacing parts that are worn. They also time it and I think typically that is watching the watch for like a week or so and making adjustments, so it is a lot more than lubricating a watch. On the last sub I sent in, they charged $550 and here is what the receipt shows: factory movement service, pressure proof, replace bezel insert and tube, polish Monobloc crown and refinish case and bracelet. We think they also replaced the bezel. They wanted $750 for the bezel, which I declined, but it looks like they replaced it anyway, my Rolex sales guy said as he looked at the watch when it came back with his 10 x lupe. I traded that watch which was 5 years old.

My dealer told me Rolex normally replaces parts in any service. I paid $555 and as i say declined paying the $750 for to replace the bezel itself...but am glad i did it. </div></div>

1. Timing is measured by a machine. The timing can be checked (not adjusted) without any disassembly. It takes one hour to check the timing. You set the watch on a machine and come back in one hour.

2. Pressure checks are done by machine. The test is done on the assembled watch. The watch is put in a jar half full of water, the machine is turned on and puts the proper amount of pressure into the jar, if your watch doesn't leak its good to go.

3. polishing and refinishing are very easy to do, I've done it many times while customers wait. It takes a few minutes unless the watch is really bad, then it can take 10-15 minutes.

4. Once the watch is opened to clean and lubricate, it isn't difficult to replace most parts.

If you can afford a Rolex you can afford the prices they charge for service. I doubt many people have complaints about the quality of service they recieve from Rolex. However, just as much effort goes into servicing many old watches, for a fraction of the price, by competent independant watchmakers.

G-Shock impressions

So many are speaking highly of the G-Shock, I had to try one. This is what I bought an hour or so ago at Sports Academy for about $59.00.

First impressions, I like the watch. The size is like Rolex Subs that I am used to. I like the material so you do not worry about scratching the watch. The noticeable thing is that you must push a button to illuminate the dial, where other watches are self-illuminating. All in all, these are nice watches for abuse, it appears.

Good for stuff like this, taken today; one wheel was off the ground on a dry creek bed and I winched out to a tree 100 feet away as it would not move;not easy handling cable, etc. with a 'dress' watch but this plastic makes one worry less:
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODIxLTAwMDY0LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODIxLTAwMDY4LmpwZw.jpg

/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODIxLTAwMDY0LmpwZw.jpg
This is the battery model. I do not know how long it will last, but the manual says two years. I would carry a spare if I was somewhere where there is no nearby battery store, as those of you stationedin some remote spots. All in all, it seems to be a good design and is rated at 200 meters.

I was wearing the G Shock today when I had to winch out. The wheel in the picture is off the ground, and the open differential jeep did not want to "go".

Robert
G-Shock-1289-Illuminator001.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODIxLTAwMDY1LmpwZw.jpg

Re: G-Shock impressions

Mine is a DW-9052, which is really close to yours. I love mine. It is definately built for abuse, and I do!! Still looks great, and works like a charm.

The only thing I would change, is to make the alarm louder!!

DK

Re: G-Shock impressions

See if your g-shock has an auto-illumination mode(might have to read the manual). Mine has a mode where it will turn the light on when I pivot my wrist as if to check the time. I leave it off, but it is a neat concept.

Mine is an old g-2300 that I got from the lost & found at the gym (about to be trashed), it was well used and yet is still soaking up any abuse I give it. I will never go back to a battery-only watch, the solar is awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tschiemer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes_Mantooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only high end watch I would stay away from is a Tag Heuer. I've seen more stupid, should-have-never-happened, problems with Tags than any other watch. Omega and Baum Mercier are my personal favorites, but I wear a Seiko everyday, and have yet to wear one out.

One thing about the Rolex, when you send it in for service, and you will, last I checked Rolex won't take the back off of one for less than $400. </div></div>

Now, the average charge is $550. I have had two serviced I bought over the last two years and think I paid that for each one at the Dallas RSC. Plus, my dealer charged me something like $42 for shipping!

Years ago one could have bought a sub for that price but salaries are more than $1 an hour too is the way to look at it, I suppose.

Robert </div></div>

I sent my submariner in to repair the crown and check the timing mechanism. The watch was cleaned, crown replaced and timing mechanism checked for $170 with shipping. I it to Rolex in NY through my jeweler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The black will wear from hard use but i like to think it adds character.
smile.gif

Sinn 857 UTG Black

zoom757sutc2.jpg
</div></div>

For $2,770 you would expect to get a watch that holds up to hard use......but this is a very sharp looking watch......one of the best looking watches i have ever seen. I'd be proud of it!

my favorite watch is the luminox navy seal blackout. No problems yet after a year and a half. I wear it daily