• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Watches ??

Re: For those who like vintage watches...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tschiemer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased this yesterday from a local jeweler who had it from an Estate:

It is 19 years old, a Rolex GMT Master. It has a saphire cystal.

I am so g
023.jpg
lad I was able to find this available. </div></div>

my father gave me the same watch the price will be going up each year.

The only thing I do not like about the vintage Rolex watches as this is the glow is gone as the tritium is depleted. Mine has a faint glow so you can see the hour markers but cannot see the hands. I think I read tritium has a half life of 10 years. Modern ones for at least 10 years have used luminova which is 'charged' by exposure to light. I have another 11 years or so old and it has lumninova so is readable all night.

Have me a $50 Casio Gshock. Thing has survived 4 years repeated abuse, multiple backpacking trips, hunting trips, and dunkings (I use it as a swimming, diving, and general workout watch).

Re: Watches ??

I love casio gshock solar/atomic series. I would like to thank you for this fantastic post!

The best beater watch you'll ever buy is a GShock. I've had many Luminox and beat on them without a problem, but GShock rule the rugged dept. I've seen a lot of Marathon watches fall apart. I own TAGs, Omegas and have had Rolexs so I know my watches.

I have had a luminox tactical for three years now, its been in -30 below zero to 125 above with no issues. The salt water has taken off the numbers on the bezel but that's about it.

Got a Casio Pathfinder about a month ago. Great watch, and the altitude, temp, BP is very accurate. I like the compass feature aswell. Great watch, and perfect for a shooter. Highly recommend it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tschiemer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing I do not like about the vintage Rolex watches as this is the glow is gone as the tritium is depleted. Mine has a faint glow so you can see the hour markers but cannot see the hands. I think I read tritium has a half life of 10 years. Modern ones for at least 10 years have used luminova which is 'charged' by exposure to light. I have another 11 years or so old and it has lumninova so is readable all night. </div></div>
No tritium in a Rolex.

I had a couple of so-called good watches fail on me. I went back to the Timex Indiglo cheap ones. Run forever.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Timex: It takes a lickin', but it keeps on tickin'.</div></div>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7_fKppH8B0g"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7_fKppH8B0g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

They are actually cheaper now adjusted for inflation.
smile.gif

I have a solar Casio Pathfinder that I've put through hell and back, still going strong. Bought it in June 2008 and still going strong. This is after several trips to the sandbox and other adventures around the world. Whenever this ones dies, I will be getting another one without thinking twice.

Reading all these post makes me wonder how those buffalo hunters killed millions of buffalo by having to tell time with the sun and stars.

I'm retired, frankly I don't care what time it is.

Buffalo hunters were into astrology?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buffalo hunters were into astrology?</div></div>

Only as far as telling time and navagation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buffalo hunters were into astrology?</div></div>

Only as far as telling time and navagation.
</div></div>

I thought the railroad took care of all that?

Rolex Submariner. Worked for James Bond and Steven McQueen.

I love my Titanium Omega Seamaster.
but for rough use a casio works fine too.

I was asking myself the same question recently. I wanted a watch that I could wear out and not look super military. I usually rock a Suunto Vector which has treated me very well. I ended up going with a Marathon GSAR. It has a classic look and tritium gas tubes so it glows ALL the time. That was a big reason I purchased it. I was considering much more expensive watches but they don't glow all the time and from the research I conducted, most watches aren't as tough.

I have a casio pathfinder, it has the thermometer, barometer, altimeter, and compass. THe compass is pretty accurate, within a couple of mils, and the altimeter, is fairly accurate. I don't know too much about reading barometers, and the trouble with the thermometer is that the sensor can get trapped in your sleeve, and give a false temp because of your body heat. but... that being said, it's an amazing and tough as hell watch. I love it. Any of the functions can be calibrated by the user to be more accutrate.

Also, this is my 50th post... yay.

I've got the titanium Casio Protrek (solar w/ all the goodies). I had a pathfinder which was an older battery model. While I loved it, I'd have to change them every 1.5-2yrs, my current solar watch is going on 6yrs, love it.

Iv got a Casio solar atomic Gshock that i bought at Costco a year or 2 ago I mostly bought it for when i go surfing so i can tell the time when im on the water and I like all the country city codes that it has because i travel alot for work (Currently in South Korea) and its so easy to change the time zones.

Plus Costco overs a life time warrenty on any watch you buy their so im interested in whats gonna happen if it ever fails.

Price was i think $79 if i remember correctly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not going to lie tho i love well made things. After reading some of these posts i went and looked up some rolex's I enjoy diving as well so i looked up some of the Sea Dwellers and i would like to own one one day i am a big fan of family heirlooms especially ones that go up in value.

PS: my first post!

really enjoy your guy's committee came her to learn about some scopes
laugh.gif

But I enjoy watches so i figured id join the thread.

I have a Suunto core and have had nothing but problems with it and don’t find the menus all that intuitive.

I have two watches, an Omega Speedmaster and a Luminox. I treat the Luminox like a rented mule; I wear it weekends, hunting, swimming, shooting, etc. It holds up to everything, and when it comes time to reset the Omega because it hasn't been wound, I use the Luminox to set the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluefin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a Suunto core and have had nothing but problems with it and don’t find the menus all that intuitive. </div></div>

That's good to know. I was thinking of upgrading from my CASIO to a Suunto, but I may hold off.

Another Path Finder here, love the solar power & no more batteries. Would use it to navigate by & the altimeter isn't too accurate, but it's nice to know I have to get a general direction

Also a pathfinder, with the solar and the atomic timekeeping. Works like a champ, and updates with the correct time every third or forth night down here in sunny Fl, which is interesting because in class at Moyock, it updated every night, guess there is better signal reception up there.

Ive got about $60 and looking for a watch. Usually I just buy the little $15 Timex from Wally world and they hold up for what I do, even my dad buys them just because for what they cost they work great. Well Ive went through 3 of them this month so Im done.

Anyone recomend a watch for around $60?

Buddy wears this watch (only with a webbing band) and he says it works, hes had it for about a year but Im just worried that it will just be some cheap garbage with the S&W brand on it.

Amazon- S&W "Soldier" watch

Analog or digital? If the latter, go with a G-shock. As mentioned previously on this thread, they are the most durable you will find at your price (or probably any).

Casio also makes some analogs as well if you want to go that route. I would not recommend Luminox if you are interested in saving up some more and going for one of the hyped up operator type watches. Traser looks to be better, though I can only speak personally having had my share of Luminox issues.

I had two Luminox watches, both were well made, felt sturdy, looked nice, with only one problem. The hands did not line up perfectly with the numbers, I sent the watch back both times, and yes it was an authorized Luminox dealer, the shop owner said most of the Luminox watches are like that, a lot of people never notice. I notice tiny little nuances so it bothered me.

I now am the proud owner of 2 TAWATEC watches, awesome, looks way better than the Luminox, built better, hands line up perfectly with the tick marks for counting seconds, I would recommend a TAWATEC over Luminox to anyone that ever asked me, I love "tactical style" watches, go with TAWATEC brother, you will not be dissapointed. They have a base model, and a sapphire jewel model, I own both, and am in love.