• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Watches?

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    I have run a 511 ballistic watch for several years. Now I know that it wasn't the most accurate but would get me on target out to 600 -800 yards or very close. Well the thing broke and they do not offer it it any more so I am looking for a replacement watch. I have done searches both here and net and I am not finding much. What can you recommend.
    I was looking at getting a watch with a altimeter and then the Garmin fortrex 701 with the ballistic app. but that would be two items to carry.

?????

I have use progressively better G-Shocks for 15 years. Use a Pro Trek Solar now. Can’t beat it.

Budget friendly quality & virtually indestructible = G-Shock

Lots of useless bells and whistles (unless you're one of those triathlon/iron man types) = Garmin (not Fortrex), Suunto

$18 Casio from JC Penny’s.

Held up to my abusive lifestyle and keeps ticking.
    del.jpg

I use an Apple Watch. (Feel free to start hating.). However it has a basic ballistic app I like for quick reference and acts as a second screen for my phone. I have shot with it at every training and I use it on the job everyday, no issues at all. It handles the shock from both rifle and pistol.

I run the Casio Pathfiner Ti. I’ve had it for years and dig it. Barometer, Altimeter, Compass, temp etc. works good and bullet proof.

Casio PRO TREK PAG240
    https://g.co/kgs/Y6gLsj

Or you can run with the big dogs.

www.rescoinstruments.com

Cheers,

Sirhr

I needed a new watch for work (couldn't wear my Garmin Tactix in a classified work area) so I went with a Marathon. I looked at the Resco but had trouble swallowing the price tag over the Marathon. In the 6 months I've had the Marathon, I have not been gentle with it and it still looks brand new.

Reactions: cobra655
    as said above

ive had a bunch of multi function watches over the years, currently still wear some g-shocks etc (always liked all the buttons and shit)

temp: you have to take it off for at least 15 min because your body throws off the temp and warms the senor

altitude: works ok but you need to be aware of weather as well. sitting outside on your porch and rain is on the way in you altitude goes up because they both work off baro

depth: usually work well becuase you can zero it out before you go under

compass: i actually do use it surprisingly when quading and such

something i do like about some of the watches is that they show the baro in a graph over a day or so. you can see what the weather is doing. of if your going up in elevation but the altitude is dropping you know the real pressure is going up etc

I needed a new watch for work (couldn't wear my Garmin Tactix in a classified work area) so I went with a Marathon. I looked at the Resco but had trouble swallowing the price tag over the Marathon. In the 6 months I've had the Marathon, I have not been gentle with it and it still looks brand new.

I have Marathon and I love it. I am thoroughly unimpressed with the quality control of Resco. They'll fix literally anything that goes wrong but I have seen some weird shit from my circle of friends who are all abnormally obsessed with that brand.

I have 2 G-shocks for fishing, hiking, etc. One is over 10years old and the other is over 5yrs old and both havent missed a beat and just plain work. For daily driver I have a Eco-Drive that has been great and Tag swiss autos are my casual/dress go to. Ive never had a problem with any of them.

I use an Apple Watch. (Feel free to start hating.). However it has a basic ballistic app I like for quick reference and acts as a second screen for my phone. I have shot with it at every training and I use it on the job everyday, no issues at all. It handles the shock from both rifle and pistol.
    Likewise. No issues here and does what I want.

Check these out... Love mine !

I have the PRO500

I’m a big fan of just a good old fashion analog chronograph. I was issued a Luminox in the military a long time ago and wore it for 10 years then upgraded to a new chronograph model. I’m tough on watches and this thing has been bulletproof. I really like the tritium illumination too. For my ballistics app I just use my phone and I also have an old iPod Touch that I paid $30 for that is dedicated to ballistics software.

BA6890F9-383E-4206-8430-D46EA9A7F084.png

I have run a 511 ballistic watch for several years. Now I know that it wasn't the most accurate but would get me on target out to 600 -800 yards or very close. Well the thing broke and they do not offer it it any more so I am looking for a replacement watch. I have done searches both here and net and I am not finding much. What can you recommend.
    I was looking at getting a watch with a altimeter and then the Garmin fortrex 701 with the ballistic app. but that would be two items to carry.

?????

You can still get the 5.11 watches. Just have to do some searching. Some tactical stores near you or online retailers may still have some in stock.
    I had one for 8 years that was given to me in that marines and the display finally died.
    Check/call the individual close 5.11 stores (mine still had some in stock although they were the Coyote ones) and got lucky and found a black one on amazon a few months ago.

I’m a big fan of just a good old fashion analog chronograph. I was issued a Luminox in the military a long time ago and wore it for 10 years then upgraded to a new chronograph model. I’m tough on watches and this thing has been bulletproof. I really like the tritium illumination too. For my ballistics app I just use my phone and I also have an old iPod Touch that I paid $30 for that is dedicated to ballistics software.

View attachment 7103046

How scratch resistant are the luminox watches? I have been buying the cheap Casio watches from Walmart but I go through one about every six months. Usually because the face gets so scratched I can't read it. Lol

Been using one of these basic bad boys for years now

Doesnt do anything but tell me the date and time. Reminds me of a Hamilton winder I destroyed cutting bamboo in the Phillipines. This one is a typical crystal movement which means the max value of the movement is probably somewhere south of $60.

Got some Waltham pocket watches for when I want to really go old school.

Reactions: Macca
    How scratch resistant are the luminox watches? I have been buying the cheap Casio watches from Walmart but I go through one about every six months. Usually because the face gets so scratched I can't read it. Lol
    The luminox I bought ten years ago has the sapphire glass, it doesn’t have any scratches yet but some of the newer models my have mineral glass, just a matter of finding out which one your purchasing has.

My TSAR is going on 10 years and it's still my daily watch. Still looks great to.

Reactions: TheMammoth
    Use Ballistic on my iPhone. To me a watch should tell time. My Rolex has been doing just that for 30 years :)

Pics or it didn’t happen! Haha which model do you have?

And OP you can’t go wrong with a Rolex. Mine comes to the range with me too

Go for the Rolex Air King. Its entry level, but I just love it. Crazy a $7,000 watch is entry level. If I was to get another watch. It would probably be a Zenith El Primero Rainbow Flyback, or a Ball Engineer III Starlight.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
    Call me crazy, but $7000 for a name is pretty insane. Especially when the Resco watches use an ETA-2824 movement, which is comparable to the Rolex movement (in accuracy and ruggedness).

Just saying, you can get a lot of bang for your buck, if you understand what is actually inside the watch (and whether or not you also need a a sapphire crystal...which you almost certainly do if you're running the watch hard and a need a near impossible to scratch face).

@sirhrmechanic turned me on to their offerings, and I can tell you, they are well worth what you pay (though they are still pricey, compared to the mass produced, cheap quartz movement watches).

Since getting a couple Resco's, the Tissots and such tend to stay in the watch box on top of my chest of drawers...

Both of the one shot I have came with the sapphire glass and I never had an issue with scratches.

I was given a casio pathfinder a few years ago as a Christmas gift. So far it has served me well. It has way more features than what I need but it's better to have the options I suppose.

It’s amazing how tough sapphire crystal is. I’ve banged my marathon tsar around pretty good and it still looks brand new. Sapphire crystal is a requirement from here on out for watches.

Call me crazy, but $7000 for a name is pretty insane. Especially when the Resco watches use an ETA-2824 movement, which is comparable to the Rolex movement (in accuracy and ruggedness).

Just saying, you can get a lot of bang for your buck, if you understand what is actually inside the watch (and whether or not you also need a a sapphire crystal...which you almost certainly do if you're running the watch hard and a need a near impossible to scratch face).

@sirhrmechanic turned me on to their offerings, and I can tell you, they are well worth what you pay (though they are still pricey, compared to the mass produced, cheap quartz movement watches).

Since getting a couple Resco's, the Tissots and such tend to stay in the watch box on top of my chest of drawers...
    I am a big Resco fan, awesome watches and awesome people as well, but comparing a Rolex movement to an ETA-2824 is seriously misguided. I can get an ETA2824 in literally thousands of different watches ranging from about $200-$5000, there is nothing about that movement that is as good as a Rolex in accuracy or ruggedness. You can always wind up with an ETA that runs to COSC standards, but they will never have the consistency of a Rolex movement.

Secondly, sapphire is great for scratch resistance and preferred in my watches, but materials like hardlex are better against breaking/cracking even if you have to give up some scratch resistance.

If what you are looking for is a near unbreakable automatic watch in the Resco price range, you need to also consider Sinn, which you can get with the ETA or Sellita movement. Made out of the same material as the hull of German U-boat subs and fully tegimented, it is THE tool watch. They look like the day you bought them after years of abuse....the cases are that hard, not to mention impervious to just about anything that comes in liquid form. I owned this one, but it was a bit large/heavy for my small wrists so I let it go, but I still look at it as the automatic to beat if you are hard on things.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180727172716771_COVER.jpg

It’s amazing how tough sapphire crystal is. I’ve banged my marathon tsar around pretty good and it still looks brand new. Sapphire crystal is a requirement from here on out for watches.
    I have only ever scratched one sapphire and it was not a factory installed one, so its possible I got hosed with something else. Yes they are tough. TSAR is an awesome watch as well, i have one of those too on the EO SWICK strap.
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190523183253159_COVER.jpg

I used to collect boutique divers and was on WUS daily. My go-to daily for many years has been a Marathon GSAR. It runs about -4 secs a day which isn't horrible. It can definitely take a beating. I've done practically everything with it on and have banged it up. My most accurate diver is a Dievas Vortex which runs about +2 a day.

Reactions: TheMammoth
    I am a big Resco fan, awesome watches and awesome people as well, but comparing a Rolex movement to an ETA-2824 is seriously misguided. I can get an ETA2824 in literally thousands of different watches ranging from about $200-$5000, there is nothing about that movement that is as good as a Rolex in accuracy or ruggedness. You can always wind up with an ETA that runs to COSC standards, but they will never have the consistency of a Rolex movement.

View attachment 7103584

Well said. Although I understand people’s reservations on spending a lot on a watch, people can say the same thing about this hobby. The value of Rolex continues to sky rocket too, many of their offerings are worth more than double the MSRP on the used market. What kind of accuracy do you get out of your resco?

I’m at +/- 1s per day with Rolex

Attachments

• 2881E412-E154-4D97-BFA6-05C4281EA4CE.jpeg
      2881E412-E154-4D97-BFA6-05C4281EA4CE.jpeg
      463.8 KB · Views: 39
    Literally every year for the past 10 years I told myself I would buy a Submariner for my birthday. 10 years later and still no Sub lol. The last I remember they were $8995 or so retail. Wonder if they've gone up since.

Reactions: michiman
    Well said. Although I understand people’s reservations on spending a lot on a watch, people can say the same thing about this hobby. The value of Rolex continues to sky rocket too, many of their offerings are worth more than double the MSRP on the used market. What kind of accuracy do you get out of your resco?

I’m at +/- 1s per day with Rolex
    View attachment 7103594

Dont own a Resco but am super familiar with their products and have spoken to the owners on a few occasions. I should buy one just because of how awesome they are. Super nice folks. I have the Subs baby brother, the Tudor Pelagos, which I absolutely love. 70hr reserve, COSC, in house movement by Rolex/Tudor, 500m resistance, HE Valve, titanium, silicone hairspring, ceramic matte bezel. To me, I bought it because it feels like a modern day Sub just a tad less flash a little more understated. I also like Ti watches due to the weight. I still have my eye on a no-date 114060 though.

Here is the Pelagos on the left next to my SBDX017 MM300 which is now discontinued. Its a cool watch in it's own right, not needing a helium escape valve with the no-caseback, monocoque case design. It is also well within COSC with its undecorated Grand Seiko movement. The lacquer bezel on these things are scratch magnets but look so sweet anyways. Such a timeless design.
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20190223093554201_COVER (1).jpg

Reactions: 021411
    Literally every year for the past 10 years I told myself I would buy a Submariner for my birthday. 10 years later and still no Sub lol. The last I remember they were $8995 or so retail. Wonder if they've gone up since.

They are very difficult to find. All sports models are in shortage. The green one you see in the picture was about ~$9500, they are being sold preowned at 15-18k currently.

Go to a dealer and get your name on a waitlist. Black subs are a few months to a year. Other models like Daytona’s are more than 5 years.

Dont own a Resco but am super familiar with their products and have spoken to the owners on a few occasions. I should buy one just because of how awesome they are. Super nice folks. I have the Subs baby brother, the Tudor Pelagos, which I absolutely love. 70hr reserve, COSC, in house movement by Rolex/Tudor, 500m resistance, HE Valve, titanium, silicone hairspring, ceramic matte bezel. To me, I bought it because it feels like a modern day Sub just a tad less flash a little more understated. I also like Ti watches due to the weight. I still have my eye on a no-date 114060 though.

Here is the Pelagos on the left next to my SBDX017 MM300 which is now discontinued. Its a cool watch in it's own right, not needing a helium escape valve with the no-caseback, monocoque case design. It is also well within COSC with its undecorated Grand Seiko movement. The lacquer bezel on these things are scratch magnets but look so sweet anyways. Such a timeless design.
    View attachment 7103598
    View attachment 7103602
    I've always the hots for a MM300 and the Tuna.

Reactions: Burdy
    The new Pepsi GMT's are on a 7 year wait list. Insane. You know you have nailed the supply/demand scale when you sell everything you produce instantly and your watches are twice retail in the aftermarket. Rolex is such an incredible company to study.

• Wow
    Reactions: 021411
    They are very difficult to find. All sports models are in shortage. The green one you see in the picture was about ~$9500, they are being sold preowned at 15-18k currently.

Go to a dealer and get your name on a waitlist. Black subs are a few months to a year. Other models like Daytona’s are more than 5 years.
    Damn.. Didn't know about that. I'll swing by my local Rolex store and inquire.

Secondly, sapphire is great for scratch resistance and preferred in my watches, but materials like hardlex are better against breaking/cracking even if you have to give up some scratch resistance.

If what you are looking for is a near unbreakable automatic watch in the Resco price range, you need to also consider Sinn, which you can get with the ETA or Sellita movement. Made out of the same material as the hull of German U-boat subs and fully tegimented, it is THE tool watch. They look like the day you bought them after years of abuse....the cases are that hard, not to mention impervious to just about anything that comes in liquid form. I owned this one, but it was a bit large/heavy for my small wrists so I let it go, but I still look at it as the automatic to beat if you are hard on things.

View attachment 7103584
    That Sinn looks amazing!

I didn’t realize Rolex watches had become so hard to get. I have a Yacht-Master with a blue dial that I bought back around 2001. I never wear it because it is so heavy and I don’t want to damage it. I’m pretty tough on watches and only take it out for special occasions. I did look at one point and see that they were selling for twice what I paid for mine but haven’t looked in awhile.

During WWII Rolex went into the Axis POW camps with the Swiss humanitarian delegations.

Allied POWS were offered a deal where upon release and receipt of back pay the former prisoner could pay for and receive his pre-ordered watch.

Wonder how many Troops took advantage of that?

That would be a neat used watch to own.

Was in Switzerland, Geneva, back in 1989.

Friend and I went downtown and bought high dollar watches.

I got a Revue Thommen Altimark because I was doing a lot of hill mountain hiking and the altimeter was a novel and neat feature as well the solar compass. It was a time when such features really were not on board your wrist....

My friend bought some version Rolex.

I think he spent about $3500 and I spent about $2K. Kind of a lot of money for Corporals but perdiem.

I think he made the better buy.

During WWII Rolex went into the Axis POW camps with the Swiss humanitarian delegations.

Allied POWS were offered a deal where upon release and receipt of back pay the former prisoner could pay for and receive his pre-ordered watch.

Wonder how many Troops took advantage of that?

That would be a neat used watch to own.

Was in Switzerland, Geneva, back in 1989.

Friend and I went downtown and bought high dollar watches.

I got a Revue Thommen Altimark because I was doing a lot of hill mountain hiking and the altimeter was a novel and neat feature as well the solar compass. It was a time when such features really were not on board your wrist....

View attachment 7103632

View attachment 7103633

My friend bought some version Rolex.

I think he spent about $3500 and I spent about $2K. Kind of a lot of money for Corporals but perdiem.

I think he made the better buy.
    Thanks for sharing, Thats a very cool watch,

Definitely Patek Philippe. Just kidding haha. G shock would be great IMO. Or if you don't wanna rely on a battery, maybe think about a mechanical watch? Only thing is you gotta think about maintenance costs. A nice diver from Seiko would be very cool.

My dad was offered something like 18k for his stainless Daytona on the spot at a local AD.

Most people just do not fully understand luxury watches, and even more so Rolex specifically.