• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Water heater anode rod help

I used my Milwaukee battery-powered 1/2" impact gun that has 1000 ft/lbs of torque when set on reverse. It popped the rod loose in seconds. Then I installed this:
Supposedly it never wears out. Time will tell. I pulled the original rod out at the 5-year mark and it was almost gone.

Anode life depends on the make up of your water supply. Just pulled two electric water heaters after 16 years due to one bursting and the anode and tanks had little to no corrosion except on the heating elements.

Anode life depends on the make up of your water supply
We have a winner.

Anode corrosion isn't a given, its an indicator.
The answer to heater life or anode life isn't replacing anodes. Replacing anodes isn't a fix. The anode isn't a water treatment device, it is a protection device.
Replacing anodes isn't fixing the problem.
If you can't remove the anode, there is a reason....its too late.
"It wasn't designed to be replaced or removed."
Yes, that is exactly what I said, and exactly what I meant.
If your water makes your anode have an ooky buildup, you have indicators elsewhere, there are problems.
"Faucets with ugly buildup? Shower heads clogged with minerals? CLR it!"
Yeah...no. You have a water problem that is only gonna get worse if you don't fix the problem.

Replace your anode early and often if you like, but you'd be better off fixing your water.

Had a customer on a well in a known aquifer that is severely contaminated with minerals etc. Even softened, that water would react with any contact w metal in the water system and create a rotten egg (sulfur) smell. We tried removing anode all together, it helped, but ultimately ended up getting him a composite/fiberglass water heater. That was some nasty ass water let me tell ya. Put in a sprinkler system for him, and when we first turned the system on, it sprayed my windshield in my truck and dried. It was like the inside of a fuggin oyster shell, took some serious elbow grease and clr to get that clean.

On a well you can get a funk in your hot water tank and/or softener, shocking the well helps as does hdrogen peroxide in the system pre-water filter and tank.

Had a customer on a well in a known aquifer that is severely contaminated with minerals etc. Even softened, that water would react with any contact w metal in the water system and create a rotten egg (sulfur) smell. We tried removing anode all together, it helped, but ultimately ended up getting him a composite/fiberglass water heater. That was some nasty ass water let me tell ya. Put in a sprinkler system for him, and when we first turned the system on, it sprayed my windshield in my truck and dried. It was like the inside of a fuggin oyster shell, took some serious elbow grease and clr to get that clean.
That smell is hydrogen sulfide gas. It coincidentally occurs in water wells that are heavy in iron content. Iron deposits are what you saw on your windshield. A water softener can usually remove most of the iron if you run your regeneration cycles twice as often. But, some hydrogen sulfide odor may still remain. A type of water softener called a "green sand" softener/filter usually works better on this type of contamination.