• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WC 872 ball powder

Holtz

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
MT
I'm thinking of trying some WC 872 powder in my 300 Win Mag & .338 LM reloads. Does anyone have any experience with it? Price is about a third of similar slow burn powders.

Re: WC 872 ball powder

I once bought a 100 lb. drum of the stuff. I mostly used it in .338 Lapua & .338 Lapua Improved. As I recall it is a dirty until proper pressure is reached. While temperature sensitive, at the ranges I was shooting at we had to adjust for atmospherics during the day anyway. I did not feel at a disadvantage. I found that Vit. 24N41 sometimes worked better. I used the wc872 as a fire forming powder. Many times I was surprised at how well it while fire forming many different calibers. It also worked well in .280 Ackly.
Semper Fi

95LTZ
here's a reply from Winchester.
WC872 is a military surplus powder of the ball type. It was made in the old Olin ball powder plant in East Alton, Il or later, in the ball powder plant built by Olin in St. Marks, FL which has changed hands 3 or 4 times in the past 25 years.

Generally, WC872 is a slow burning ball powder, too slow for almost all sporting use. WC872 originally was used in 20mm and 30mm cannons. There is a significant issue with the use of military surplus powder. The burning speed varies a great deal from lot to lot. There is no data for sporting applications unless the seller has the ability to test the powder and tell you what that data is. Most of these sellers do not know what they have so they cannot furnish data. A good rule is to never buy powder from someone who says “Just use data for Hodgdon 870” or “Just use the data for AA8700” This is a sure sign the seller does not have the ability to test their product nor to develop data for their powder.

Surplus powder can be a source of cheap shooting but only if you have some good knowledge of the powder you have purchased.

Mike Daly
Customer Service Manager
Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
Hodgdon Smokeless Powder
IMR Powder Company
Winchester Smokeless Propellants
GOEX Blackpowder
I think I'll pass on getting some. BTW, my dad was a Semper Fi Marine in WW2. My eyes were only good enough(go figure) to get in the Air Force, but I may have helped some of you out of some hot spots in Viet Nam as a F-4 fighter pilot. Thanks for your service. Holtz

I've been using WC872 for my 690gr FMJ 50BMG "plinking" loads. I started low, 205gr and then worked up to 225gr. My powder resembled AA8700 very closely. Your lot may vary.

WC872 works well for fireforming in my 338AI bore-rider chamber - 300gr RDF overruns loaded out to 4" behind 100grs+ (compressed) of it nets nicely formed cases and fun plinking. Proceed at your own risk!