• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We don't need fuel to fly to China.....

So I am no aircraft expert but I did stay at a holiday inn once.

It was an "emergency". Planes have a maximum take off weight and a maximum landing weight they are not the same and the max landing weight is usually several tons (the 737-800 it is 15 tons less than take off weight).

This is for obvious reasons, if you don't know then study newton's laws and some physics.

Now with that said. It is my understanding that a plane can in an emergency land over weight but it may damage components (suspension mostly) and requires the plane be taken out of service and a "over weight landing" inspection be completed before returning to service. This is more costly than 2-3000 gallons of fuel. So fuck the kids I guess.

I have spilled more fuel from the idiotic "CA compliant" gas cans and gas caps on vehicles than I ever did without them.
THIS!!! is perhaps my greatest pet peeve, freaking Government Gas Cans.

Reactions: Slash0311

Ahhhh the Bear Pit. You never disappoint me. :)

Never understood the problem. Just take the lid off same way as you filled it. If you have to pour into something smaller, use your normal funnel.

I’m too young to remember the good old days of the yellow funnel attached to the plastic bottle. But I’m old enough to remember my grandpa pouring from a steel can down a steel funnel into a steel fuel cell on his lawn mower. Heck I even got to help run and get the funnel.

People who were in their 30’s in the 80’s sure had it good.

Proper fuel cans, cocaine, sweet mullets.

All I got was the internet to read about these amazing fuel cans from years long gone.

Reactions: tomcatmv
The FAA also said that there are special fuel-dumping procedures for any aircraft operating from any major U.S. airport: “These procedures call for fuel to be dumped over designated unpopulated areas, typically at higher altitudes so the fuel atomizes and disperses before it reaches the ground."

this doesn’t apply if you can’t reach higher altitude or an emergency is declared. However, it’s la. They could have easily circled over the water and the fuel before returning but I wasn’t there, I won’t second guess what they did.

Ahhhh the Bear Pit. You never disappoint me. :)

Never understood the problem. Just take the lid off same way as you filled it. If you have to pour into something smaller, use your normal funnel.

I’m too young to remember the good old days of the yellow funnel attached to the plastic bottle. But I’m old enough to remember my grandpa pouring from a steel can down a steel funnel into a steel fuel cell on his lawn mower. Heck I even got to help run and get the funnel.

People who were in their 30’s in the 80’s sure had it good.

Proper fuel cans, cocaine, sweet mullets.

All I got was the internet to read about these amazing fuel cans from years long gone.

You must've never used a proper vented can with a flexible spout?

Of course you can take the top off a government can and use a funnel, but its a PITA and you will still probably slosh fuel without a vent, and you have to have a funnel in addition to the can, and it has to be kept clean, etc. NONE of that was necessary with the older cans (Rubbermaid, et al). Just remove the cap on the end of the spout (one twist of the wrist), stick the end of the flex spout into the tank, turn it up and pop open the vent. The can will smoooothly empty in about 1/10 the time it takes with a non-vented government can, and you don't have to hold 5 gallons of gas suspended motionless in mid-air for 10 minutes, while it sucks, gurgles, and sloshes/spits fuel everywhere even if you use a funnel.

The pet peeve part is that it is FED (not CA) mandated, and as usual, it makes the problem of fuel spillage (that it was intended to reduce) much WORSE, while making the whole process more difficult and unpleasant for the consumer/voter. Classic government "solution."

There is a workaround, however. While it is illegal (ILLEGAL!) to manufacture non-compliant cans, even for water, it is apparently not illegal yet to manufacture conversion kits that convert the new cans with installable vents and flex spouts.

I stab holes in the back of the cans for a vent. Use a pointy stick for a plug. No problem. And I used to smoke while fueling stuff.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee

So they're not EPA or DOT compliant for transfer of fuel. They are however safe for chemicals. I believe fuel is a chemical?

You will need to stop by your hardware store every 3-5 years and grab a new chunk of clear poly hose as it does get stiff from "chemical" vapors.

So they're not EPA or DOT compliant for transfer of fuel. They are however safe for chemicals. I believe fuel is a chemical?

You will need to stop by your hardware store every 3-5 years and grab a new chunk of clear poly hose as it does get stiff from "chemical" vapors.
Or you could use these, they work awesome.

Interesting! Looks like a decent design regarding the problems previously discussed. I don't care for the vertical profile vs the more short and squatty, horizontal profile of the Rubbermaid type cans because they haul around better without tipping. Nonetheless, that's a superior solution to a government can, and I suspect is just flying under their radar.

Fully tracking on the hardening of PVC hose over a few years, as I always used to slip a couple feet of it over the flex spout of my cans when fueling the wing tanks on my airplane. Set a piece of carpet on the wing, attach the hose to the spout, stick it in the tank, set the can inverted on the carpet, pop the vent out and leave it to empty while you conduct your preflight. After a couple of years the hose will start to crack instead of bend.

Or you could use these, they work awesome.

I'm suspicious of anything that is meant to store a liquid but has a "joint" of any sort below the full fill level. Something about plastics not working well in the cold (it was warm here today, it's currently 2*) or getting bumped by things bouncing around the back of the truck. I guess it is still usable with the spout broken off, just more awkward.

I'm suspicious of anything that is meant to store a liquid but has a "joint" of any sort below the full fill level. Something about plastics not working well in the cold (it was warm here today, it's currently 2*) or getting bumped by things bouncing around the back of the truck. I guess it is still usable with the spout broken off, just more awkward.
You can also pour from the fill spout. I have had a couple for 5 years no issues. used in the cold and the hot. They are not the old bliz cans that where paper thin, these are very thick. I don't doubt that at -40 they could become brittle, but hey everything is at that temp.

Reactions: chevy_man

Good point and observation there... And also many types of industrial sealant and reinforcing materials do not behave exactly the way that they are advertised to be. I have repaired many Dietz and other no-name brand kerosene tubular lanterns that had leaks on the lower rim fold of the fuel tank. Many owners would try to patch up the rim with Propoxy-20 or even JB-Weld and then the kerosene will still find a way to seep out of the material, both of which are advertised to be acid and hydrocarbon solvent resistant. What I did to restore function to these pieces entailed first stripping the epoxy from the metal, which can be a bit of a teeth-grinding process. With that done, remove the paint from the rim fold area with a piece of sandpaper before finally breaking out my trusty Amico 160 amp inverter and running a bead all around the rim with a E6010 rod that pierces and seals the galvanized metal quite nicely...

The so
Good point and observation there... And also many types of industrial sealant and reinforcing materials do not behave exactly the way that they are advertised to be. I have repaired many Dietz and other no-name brand kerosene tubular lanterns that had leaks on the lower rim fold of the fuel tank. Many owners would try to patch up the rim with Propoxy-20 or even JB-Weld and then the kerosene will still find a way to seep out of the material, both of which are advertised to be acid and hydrocarbon solvent resistant. What I did to restore function to these pieces entailed first stripping the epoxy from the metal, which can be a bit of a teeth-grinding process. With that done, remove the paint from the rim fold area with a piece of sandpaper before finally breaking out my trusty Amico 160 amp inverter and running a bead all around the rim with a E6010 rod that pierces and seals the galvanized metal quite nicely...
The solution against fuel leakage through seams is Pro-seal, specifically formulated to seal wet wings (the wing is the fuel tank) of airplanes. Not cheap but worth its weight in gold.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Isn't jet fuel just basically kerosene?

Jet-A, JP-8, etc..., different names from different entities to describe what is essentially the same thing. Now let's play a what-if scenario that shows how mainstream media uses tactics to strike unnecessary fear and alarm in the gullible and poorly educated. Let's say I had a vehicle which got broken into by someone and 5 gallons of plain heater kerosene in a plastic jerrycan had been among the items stolen. The local news agency can choose among two headlines for the local crime blotter:

Headline A: "Vehicle burglary in XXXX neighborhood. Can of kerosene amongst items taken"...

Headline B: "4x4 truck broken into. Five gallons of jet fuel taken. Police confirm that contents are JP-8 grade"...

Both headlines describe exactly the same shit. Headline B is totally unnecessary. This is a paper meant for reading by the morning crowd on the 8 AM Metrolink train, not an academic journal article.... Unless the writer is trying to carry with it a specific political or social agenda.

Now we see how the MSM has been conning and tricking the general public to develop irrational and misinformed fears over things such as guns and ammunition over the years and how media itself can be used as a weapon of mass destruction???

The so

The solution against fuel leakage through seams is Pro-seal, specifically formulated to seal wet wings (the wing is the fuel tank) of airplanes. Not cheap but worth its weight in gold.

Yep, fuel containment can be extremely tricky, and that stuff looks like it's got years of research dedicated solely to it for quite some time. The automotive and marine equivalent would be Red-Kote, or Northern Tank Sealant. Those are sold in paint cans and comes dyed red, in the former, or blue in the latter. It dries to form an elastic but very hard to break seal that covers every millimeter of the treated surface. Only methyl ether ketone can properly dissolve the cured substance, and MEK is also used to 'refresh' cans of the stuff that had been left open for too long and suffered the 'correction fluid bottle syndrome'...