• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Boeing Plane Sees Critical Failure as 757’s Nose Wheel Falls Off Before Takeoff

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

A Delta Airlines Boeing 757 jet taxiing on the runway with 184 passengers on board at Atlanta’s international airport was forced to abort takeoff when a nose wheel fell off and parted ways with the stricken flight.

The wheel “came off and rolled down the hill” as the flight was waiting to begin its journey, according to a report from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

Delta confirmed the incident on the plane scheduled to fly from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport to Bogota, Colombia.

“Delta Flight 982 ATL/BOG was taxiing for departure when a nose gear tire came loose from the landing gear,” Delta said in a statement Wednesday, NBC News reports.

“All customers and their bags were removed from the aircraft, transferred to the gate and onto a replacement aircraft. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.”

The plane was put back into service the next day, Delta said.

None of the passengers or six crew members were hurt in the incident, according to the FAA’s preliminary report.

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208
Sad and pathetic Delta Airlines AND Boeing- how far you've fallen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot
Sad and pathetic Boeing- how far you've fallen.
Yep, I remember when they beat out Douglass as the premier company.

But I smell a passenger lawsuit.

"Oh my God, I was traumatized and need therapy and 3 million cause I cant even work from home.

Sincerely, Karen."

Yeah it’s fun to flame Boeing given all their self inflicted downfall, but this issue sits squarely on Delta‘s maintenance shoulders. I wonder who messed up that tire change?

Yeah, I've been critical of Boeing in the other thread we already have going, but this one ain't on Boeing any more than GM is to blame for the local tire shop leaving lug nuts loose on a 15-year-old pickup. But I also don't expect a lot of critical thinking from the general population nowadays.

IMG_3330.jpeg

A Delta Airlines Boeing 757 jet taxiing on the runway with 184 passengers on board at Atlanta’s international airport was forced to abort takeoff when a nose wheel fell off and parted ways with the stricken flight.

The wheel “came off and rolled down the hill” as the flight was waiting to begin its journey, according to a report from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

Delta confirmed the incident on the plane scheduled to fly from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport to Bogota, Colombia.

“Delta Flight 982 ATL/BOG was taxiing for departure when a nose gear tire came loose from the landing gear,” Delta said in a statement Wednesday, NBC News reports.

“All customers and their bags were removed from the aircraft, transferred to the gate and onto a replacement aircraft. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.”

The plane was put back into service the next day, Delta said.

None of the passengers or six crew members were hurt in the incident, according to the FAA’s preliminary report.
I don't know what the detailed mechanical configuration of the nose gear looks like, but was it just a tire that came off ? Or, was it a wheel (with the tire) ? Or, was it all wheels ? If it was all wheels, did the landing gear grind into the taxi/runway ? Seems like a bit of a "slam bam thank you ma'am" repair.

And, before anyone jumps my shit for "making assumptions" (which I'm making none), there is a pretty blatant contradiction above;

"A Delta Airlines Boeing 757 jet taxiing on the runway with 184 passengers on board at Atlanta’s international airport was forced to abort takeoff when a nose wheel fell off and parted ways with the stricken flight".

vs.

"Delta Flight 982 ATL/BOG was taxiing for departure when a nose gear tire came loose from the landing gear,” Delta said in a statement Wednesday, NBC News reports".

Probably just another example of sloppy reporting by the msm, but, details do matter.

Last edited:
From reading some other reports, it sounds like it was just 1 entire wheel from the nose landing gear.

Not a good look for Boeing, but I'm not sure ide blame the design just yet.....as stated above, it's likely someone didn't torque that on properly
How old is the plane, how many tires have been replaced in that location over the life span of the plane and finally, who did the tire/wheel replacement ? More importantly, who did the most recent replacement ? My bet is Delta maintenance.

I don’t think this one is Boeing’s responsibility.

Reactions: Bbob
I am betting on Delta maintenance. They do gooder maintenance. I work in nuclear power generation, and have worked with a bunch of aviation techs. There maintenance model is very similar to ours, when there are critical tasks being performed there is QC involved or they have peers observe and or check the work and sign off on it being done correctly. I bet there is a shit load of hardware that hold that wheel on, and it can perform its design function with a portion of them missing. Did it get torqued up without being up on the flange? was the hi-torque in the wrong range and too tight or too loose ? Somewhat said fuck-it not my job any more? They were too excited to head to the company drag show after the shift?

The FAA report will be out with details soon enough

Reactions: lonegunman762x51
When you buy a plane, you have to do the maintenance yourself or hire it done. Wheels fall off shit all the time if you do not take care of it. Boeing is no more responsible than Toyota for you being a cheap cunt and doing shitty maintenance.