• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We lost a good man today...

I'm not sure what to say.

I never knew Veer on a personal level, but always appreciated his willingness to stand up for those who didn't have a voice here on the Hide.

That and his ability to criticize anyone with a doctorate in the construction of sentences.

God speed, my friend. You will be missed.

Not sure if any of you guys experienced this with Veer but I got chastised for grammar......in two languages.🤣😂🤣 Don’t even know how many he spoke, does anybody else?
He was up here in Vermontistan about 5 years ago taking a summer advanced course in Spanish at one of the uber-lib schools.... the fruitbats were all antsy in their pantsy that he carried his kirpan and was not a leftist.

Towards the end of his term, we got together with some of his classmates... one guy from the FBI there in a crash course. A retired Marine. Veer, myself. And some poor kid from Lesotho or something who had no idea how he ended up at our little soiree.

They were required by their immersion class to speak nothing but Spanish... even off campus and even visiting friends. So all night Veer was 'translating' for me on the conversation. Having no idea that I speak fluent Spanish, he told his friends that his buddy (me) was going to have to follow along best he could and that he would be the intermediary. I just nodded and let him translate. And had him translate back to the group.

One time, he stumbled over the translation... and I corrected the word. Veer still did not cotton on. One of the other guys said "Very good!" when I got the word right.

At the end of the night, as we were all leaving and saying our g'nites in the parking lot, I broke into Spanish and said good night to all the guys and said how much I enjoyed the meal and enjoyed meeting them and how well I thought they were doing learning Spanish.

Finished it all off with a wave to Veer and a "Buenas noches, Jefe..." As his classmates razzed the crap out of him for having been totally played all evening!

Bowah ha aha ha ha hah ah .... He was a good sport about it. Only because I was out of stabbing range.

Sirhr

He was up here in Vermontistan about 5 years ago taking a summer advanced course in Spanish at one of the uber-lib schools.... the fruitbats were all antsy in their pantsy that he carried his kirpan and was not a leftist.

Towards the end of his term, we got together with some of his classmates... one guy from the FBI there in a crash course. A retired Marine. Veer, myself. And some poor kid from Lesotho or something who had no idea how he ended up at our little soiree.

They were required by their immersion class to speak nothing but Spanish... even off campus and even visiting friends. So all night Veer was 'translating' for me on the conversation. Having no idea that I speak fluent Spanish, he told his friends that his buddy (me) was going to have to follow along best he could and that he would be the intermediary. I just nodded and let him translate. And had him translate back to the group.

One time, he stumbled over the translation... and I corrected the word. Veer still did not cotton on. One of the other guys said "Very good!" when I got the word right.

At the end of the night, as we were all leaving and saying our g'nites in the parking lot, I broke into Spanish and said good night to all the guys and said how much I enjoyed the meal and enjoyed meeting them and how well I thought they were doing learning Spanish.

Finished it all off with a wave to Veer and a "Buenas noches, Jefe..." As his classmates razzed the crap out of him for having been totally played all evening!

Bowah ha aha ha ha hah ah .... He was a good sport about it. Only because I was out of stabbing range.

Sirhr

That is awesome!🤣😂🤣 Not easy to get one over on Veer and I’m sure he had a good laugh about it after the fact. My written Spanish is a lot worse than my written English and he coulda smoked me that day but he didn’t now that I think about it. I smoked myself and he simply said, ‘that’s ok, I do this as a living‘ or something along that line.

Great story Sirhr!😎

Sirhr
That is an awesome story! Thanks for that.

I will miss his food reviews and his Philly events. Nothing crazy went on in that area without VEER posting it.
I tagged him in a thread a week ago or so. He responded and I said something like take care. I was a bit busy and meant to send a PM.

That little dash between the dates for birth and death is all you get. He enhanced a portion of that dash in my life. As it seems like he has for many other people.

Ah, this is sad to read,

I have been so preoccupied I didn't bother to check this thread but now reading it, that is sad to read,

I was never quite sure where he fit in on here, but the Bear Pit was clearly his home. If the stats are correct he signed up on here in 2008 and was always on. He had 13,000 posts so he was a big contributor to this site.

Rest in Peace,
As you did, I really only saw him contribute in the Bear Pit. It was indeed his favorite spot and this outpouring shows how much at home he was. I came on at SH in 2003 and, until I saw his join date, felt as if he had been here all that time too.

Anyone know what his connection to Auburn was. After I saw a pic of him it reminded me of a fellow I used to see around town in the mid-80s.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
This has me thinking back. I've been a member here since 04. I'm here most days but rarely post out of respect for those that know our craft better than I. I'm here as a learner, not a teacher.

Veer taught us much. I will certainly miss him. RIP Veer. This vid seems appropriate.

Anyone know what his connection to Auburn was. After I saw a pic of him it reminded me of a fellow I used to see around town in the mid-80s.

I've wondered this as well and always meant to ask but never did.

I’ll keep this short, because I think that’s how he would have wanted it. For those that knew him, his passing is a great loss. 1J04 just let us know that, this morning Veer_G passed from this world. He will be missed by many here, so I thought I’d pass the word so that people could pay their respects in whatever manner their religion or way of life demands.

His passion for proper grammar and his wit will be sorely missed, and we are lesser with his passing.

With respect,

MPMI

Well, fuck. Raising a glass.

WTF? Son of a bitch! Veer will be missed! I knew he had some issues going on, didn’t know what exactly but I certainly didn’t know it was to this extent. Very sad news. Shit! Excuse me boys, it’s been a rough few months and this news didn’t help. I didn’t really know him other than here but he seemed like a man of good character and I will certainly miss his posts and his wit. Anyone got any clue as to what happened?

Godspeed brother! I will be praying for you and the family. I still can’t believe it!

Last edited: