• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We think we found it, so keep and eye out this weekend.

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Okay, so the server guys think they nailed down the 500 Error issue.

As I have said in the past, the software here is tricky, adding features like the feedback system or the tiny things which you don' t really see but are extra has a big impact on the running of the site. We have the basic software package, and then you start stacking on Add Ons and it's even called Add On in the Control Panel, things can go wrong.

So people say, Hey I want a Feedback System, Hey I want to be able to do, X, and we install an add on.

Well, one or more pieces of this software are leaking memory throughout the day. Then approximately X number of hours later, the site crashes because it thinks we ran out. When the system detects the problem, as it does now, we have a reset program that reboots everything super quickly. That is why the crashes don't seem to last long, but the more we use the software, the more we'll leak memory. I don't know which plugin is doing it, but we hopefully have it corrected.

After all that, keep an eye on the sky, if you see a 500 Error, drop a note just for the weekend. We think we have a fix in place to split up everything and spread the load, then a monitoring system to jump into action automatically prior to a crash on this site of the website.

I appreciate the help and patience over the last couple of days. We have a few more changes to make to finalize the 2020 upgrades, fixing this piece was a priority and we might have it. I say might because we just don't know, there are a dozen plugins being used. But we feel we have it solved.

Thanks for not complaining too, I know I am changing things 10 ways from Sunday, the light is appearing at the end of the tunnel. Once we get the front page connected, I promise not to mess with it much at all. Hopefully just normal upgrades and maintenance for the next 18 months.

Cheers

Roger that. I’m sure it’s been a hair pulling event (what little you have ?). I know these things can be a real pain. I just went through moving software to different servers at work. Nothing goes as planned when you’re dealing with 1s and 0s.

Do what you have to do. Most of us will be here to back you up. But just let us know when we can start hitting the report button again.

Enjoy the Easter morning.

Just noticed an issue 6:12pm Central time. When you click on a thread it no longer takes me to the most recent post. Starts me 15 or so posts back. Not sure if it has anything to do with the changes. Just FYI in case.

Been on a fair bit over the weekend, no issues and the site was pretty responsive so long as my LTE signal was good.

I’m wondering if the stress on the site was light over the holiday weekend when folks were in family mode and not reading gun shit. Suppose that will be seen today.

Reactions: Alabusa and Basher
    Noticed last night that several pics seemed slow to load. Not sure if they were site uploads or linked but mentioning given previous comments about pics/memory loss.