• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing weak gunsmith-fu?

marduk185

take my karma boom
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
tantric thrust
am i completely retarded for thinking a 22" FAL barreled reciever could be chucked in a 4 jaw or something, indicated in and cut crowned and threaded without having to remove the barrel from the reciever? my local guy says he cant do that, am i just way off? i am not a gunsmith but do have moderate machining experience with lathes and mills and didnt figure this was that hard a task. school me please guys.

Re: weak gunsmith-fu?

No, your gunsmith contact either don't have a lathe that will handle a "through the headstock" setup or doesn't want to do it. Send it to me an I will do it for you.

Jim

The headstock of his lathe may be too long. This is a common problem. My lathe only does barrels to about 20". Call another gunsmith if you don't want the barrel removed.

I had to make a different fixture to runn barrels under 24" through my head stock, and at that some barrels have to be removed from the actions as the action will not fit in the headstock with enough clearance to center up the barrel.

I believe the FAL has a drop down in the mag well area that may require a 3-4" spindle bore.

That job can be done between centers with decent results. If the gasblock is not too big a deal to remove, I can do barrels down to 15-16" through the spindle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the FAL has a drop down in the mag well area that may require a 3-4" spindle bore.

That job can be done between centers with decent results. If the gasblock is not too big a deal to remove, I can do barrels down to 15-16" through the spindle.

</div></div>

If you can do 15" barrel through the headstock, the action don't come into play here; it will hang out the back side of the lathe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundoktr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the FAL has a drop down in the mag well area that may require a 3-4" spindle bore.

</div></div>

If you can do 15" barrel through the headstock, the action don't come into play here; it will hang out the back side of the lathe. </div></div>

Agreed, the top part of that post I was thinking of someone who has a long spindle.

before long someone will speak of skinning cats. It never fails.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">more than one way to skin a cat </div></div>
Since we've changed topics, how is the price of cat skins on todays market? Any particular colors bringing a premium?